Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Andyman Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
I'm thinking of upgrading from BIAB 2008 Ultra to BIAB 2017 UltraPlus on my Windows PC.
Unfortunately, my PC only has an internal 120GB SSD, and I only have 37GB of free space available.
I noticed that PG Music recommend having at least 200GB of free space before downloading and installing BIAB 2017 UltraPlus, so even if I was to uninstall BIAB 2008 Ultra beforehand, I'm still only going free up another 18GB, leaving around 55GB of free space available.

However, I do have an external HDD with approx. 1.2TB of free space, so I could download and install the software to that (or at least the Realtracks).
Could anyone tell me if they run BIAB from an external hard drive, and does it run well ?
I'm aware that the Audiophile version is actually supplied on a hard drive, so I'm hoping that the answer is going to be yes.

My PC's specs:
AMD FX (tm)-4100 Quad-Core Processor, 3.60 GHz.
8.00 GB installed RAM
Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit operating system, X64-based processor.

Last edited by Andyman; 03/12/17 03:37 PM.
Veteran
Veteran
Andy,

PG Music also sell the UltraPlusPak on a USB drive. I've had a few of these over the years. It performs fine. Many users on here run the program directly from such a drive.

All you will need to do is to install BIAB on your computer with the minimum installation (around 20 megs if I recall correctly). This sets up Windows so that BIAB will run. The BIAB directory and all associated files will then reside on x:\bb where x: is the USB drive's letter assignment.

While you can easily install BIAB and Realband directly to a USB drive, you could also get that drive from PG Music for a little extra. Something to watch out for, though, is that hardware deliveries seem to attract duties on arrival in the UK. I daresay someone from the UK can shed a some more light on this.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Andyman Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thanks Noel. According to the packages screen, UltraPlusPAK for Windows is only offered as a D/L or on a HD, so I'll have to contact PG Music to see if they will supply it on a USB Flashdrive.
Unfortunately, I think that the import duties and shipping costs may make it disadvantageous (especially for a HD), but I will check it out.
I'm not actually short of storage space because I've got three external HD's, so obtaining it as a download would seem to be the most efficient option (timewise and cost).

If BIAB only takes up around 20MB on my internal drive, then I expect that I'll be fine installing the Realtracks and Realband on one of my external hard drives. I just wanted to know if anyone had encountered any problems running BIAB with Realtracks and Realband on an external HD.

Last edited by Andyman; 03/12/17 05:25 PM.
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
NEW! Band-in-a-Box®... on a USB Flash Drive!

"The flash drive option will not be offered if you have an UltraPlusPAK, EverythingPAK, or Audiophile Edition in your cart, since these ship on a portable hard drive."

Have you price a 240gig SSD, you should be able to clone your system drive to it.

Veteran
Veteran
Andy,

The hard drive you mention is a USB hard drive (that's what the symbol above the HD means). All you need to do with this drive is...

1. Connect it via USB.

2. Run the minimum install (as mentioned above).

3. Run the program from the PG Music USB drive.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Andyman Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
I suspected that it must have been an external HD that you were referring to, Noel.
I'm well aware that both drives connect to a PC's USB port, but PG Music refer to one as 'HD' and the other as 'USB' on their packages screen.
Hence the confusion when you said that you received UltraPlusPAK on a USB drive.

I've got an empty 2TB external drive which will be ideal for installing the Realtracks and Realband onto, so I'd much rather choose the download option to save the shipping and import duty costs. It will mean that I receive it a lot quicker and it will also eliminate the chance of the package going astray or being damaged in transit.

I just wanted to know if there were any known issues when running BIAB with Realtracks on an external HD, on a PC with similar specs as mine. (eg. caching, latency problems).

Thanks for the info though.

Last edited by Andyman; 03/13/17 06:52 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
You should have no problem running BIAB and RealBand from that 2TB external hard drive, so using the downloads should be fine. Just make sure to install everything you need from those individual downloaded installers.

Just run the main installer and change the defaults to say that's where you are going to install BIAB/RealBand to. That way, the minimum stuff that needs to go on your C: drive (fonts, DX effects, etc) gets installed there; everything else can get installed to the external 2TB drive.

Just make sure that when you use BIAB, that drive always has the same drive letter (sometimes Windows will change it on you).

I have generally found (but it's not always consistent) that if I label the drive and then intentionally assign a drive letter (say X: or Y:), but somewhere away from the "next available drive letter", that it remembers that the next time you plug it in. For example, I've got an external USB drive that stores all my installation applications (along with all my authentication codes and whatnot) that I use to install all my apps (don't have to have a stack of CD's or DVD's or other folder locations) assigned to S:. My computer picks it up as drive S: everytime I connect it, regardless of which USB port I connect it to.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
A few random thoughts on drives, BIAB and speed:

RealTracks and DealDrums would be an ideal type of file to store on a SSD because the files are read, not written to. As I have the audiophile version, that is not practical for me to do yet; the SSD would have to be well over 1 TB.

I load my BIAB main program from an SSD, and it definitely improved the initial loading time and overall performance when I did this. I have a suspicion this will not be as much of an issue in the future.

The external hard drive supplied by PG Music for the audiophile version is USB3. I don't know what they use for the regular non-audiophile version. Is it USB2?

The speed of reading anything from an external drive, USB 3 or just 2, is considerably slower than the speeds obtainable from an ordinary internal hard drive. In other words, an internal hard drive might be faster than a USB SSD drive (I have one, but not for BIAB). In my case, I use an internal 10,000 rpm Western Digital Black Caviar drive for my RealTracks and RealDrums. The conventional hard drive speed is slower, at 7,200 rpm. Laptops may only run at 5,400 rpm (making the replacement of a laptop boot drive by an SSD a particularly nice speed improvement).

Having said all that, the performance of my laptop with the PG Music external drive, even with the audiophile version on it, runs just fine.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
UPDATE CORRECTION: The drive is a USB-2 not USB-3 drive, as originally posted.

Matt, the regular version of BIAB also comes on a USB-2 drive; however, I don't know the specs of the internal drive itself in terms of rotation speed, which will affect the throughput you get. SSD drives will basically saturate a USB-3 interface; mechanical drives not so much.

+++ Here's +++ an interesting write-up on the throughput you can expect from different configurations.

Last edited by jford; 03/14/17 07:13 AM.

John

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Thanks John. At one recent point, the regular BIAB was shipped on a USB2 drive (I have a bunch). I think they then changed to USB3 only for audiophile. I'm glad all drives are now USB3. EDIT: this has been called into question. Does anyone know, was regular (not audiophile) BIAB 2017 shipped on a USB 2 or 3 drive?

Of course, it depends a lot where you plug them in, and with what else. The USB bus runs at the speed of the lowest speed device connected.

Last edited by Matt Finley; 03/14/17 07:00 AM.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Andyman Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Excellent info. Thank you John and Matt.

It's good news to hear that the program can run trouble free from a SSD USB3 drive.

I suppose that if I do encounter any problems running it from my 2TB external HD, I can always purchase an additional SSD external USB3 HD and copy everything across to that.

I wouldn't want to install everything on my internal SSD drive anyway, even if it did have plenty of spare capacity.
I like to keep it free from clutter, which is the main reason why I keep three external hard drives in reserve for particularly large library files that are not accessed that often.

Last edited by Andyman; 03/13/17 11:59 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
FWIW I'm pretty sure the last drive I got was USB2, but that may have changed in 2017. I chose the thumbdrive option this year, since it was a new change, mine included the Bonus tracks, and with 20 gig free on it when it arrived, it'll probably get some use .. maybe as much as the HDD would.
I see 5 PGMusic HDDs from here in a neat little pile. That'll probably be enough for another couple years. <grin>

I keep my most updated, licensed and current copy on E: (one of my internal drives) so I have enough copies of BiaB/RB at any point in time. My E: drive is one of eight 500gig drives and is used only for BiaB/RB.
Plus I still received the download files in my account to fall back on.
Many of us don't realize we have a current copy backed up in 'My Account' on this site. Just log in, plug your license number in and you're good to go.

/I'm paranoid of data loss, so I also keep copies of my keys for the last few years in a text file that gets copied to multiple drives. Having your keys sure speeds things up when restoring software.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Quote:
Unfortunately, my PC only has an internal 120GB SSD, and I only have 37GB of free space available...I suppose that if I do encounter any problems running it from my 2TB external HD, I can always purchase an additional SSD external USB3 HD and copy everything across to that.

If you have only a 120gig SSD, as mentioned before it would be a good idea to price a 240gig - 256 - 480 SSD to replace the main with a simple clone, unless you have the Audiophile that needs a 2T drive.
You can put the old 120gig SSD in a USB 3 enclosure.

Andyman Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thanks for your helpful advice Pipeline.

In your opinion, am I likely to experience a significant advantage by installing the full BIAB 2017 UltraPlus package on a new internal 240Gig SSD rather than simply installing the main BIAB program on my existing 120Gig SSD and Realtracks/Realband on my empty 2T external HD ?

If the answer is yes, then I would consider installing a 240Gig SSD BEFORE I purchase and download the BIAB 2017 UltraPlusPAK.

Perhaps the best way forward would be to choose the latter option first, and if I experience any problems with performance, I could then install a 240Gig SSD and re-install the whole BIAB package to it.

Does that sound feasible to you ?

Last edited by Andyman; 03/13/17 03:32 PM.
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Right now the best way is download the PG Pak to an external drive, install it selecting C:\bb and X:\RealTracks X:\Drums then you are good to go, no import VAT.
Then at a later date if you find a good priced SSD grab it as they are getting cheaper all the time.
You can just clone the drive, swap it and copy the RealTracks & Drums folders to C:\bb\, then in Prefs set the RT & Drums to the bb folder.

Andyman Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thanks again. I will follow your advice.

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Andy, I realized a nice speed improvement by putting the program on an internal SSD, even while leaving the RealTracks and RealDrums on a regular hard drive.

One thing you were correct to be aware of is putting too much on a hard drive. The general rule is never let it have less than 15% free space, to avoid thrashing. A similar guideline applies to SSD drives, but for different reasons having to do with drive longevity, not loss of performance.

Andyman Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Yes Matt, I've already began de-cluttering my internal SSD in preparation for BIAB 2017 (well it's an
ideal time for a spring clean anyway).

There's a fair amount of stuff on it which can be transferred to one of my external hard drives.
I'm planning to go ahead with the install by the weekend. Looking forward to trying it out, and hopefully it will inspire me to create some good music.

Last edited by Andyman; 03/14/17 05:29 AM.
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Your comments remind me of one of my pet peeves, that many software vendors force their programs to be installed onto your boot drive. Sometimes you can relocate them, sometimes not if they rely on a Registry entry that cannot be modified.

Good luck.

Veteran
Veteran
UPDATE: Actually, now that I think about it, I may have misspoke. I believe the regular version BIAB (as RHARV indicated) is USB2. I was going from memory, and confused one of my USB3 drives with the USB2 from PGMusic.

That being said, it's pretty easy to clone from that USB2 to a USB3 drive. I have picked up several USB3 2GB drives from warehouse clubs for about $80 on sale.

For me it doesn't matter, because my 2011 vintage computers only have USB2 ports (however, the USB3 drives work just fine on them).

Whenever I upgrade my computers, then I'll get the bandwidth of USB3, as well as SATA3 (I have several SATA drives capable of 6Gbs; however, my computers only have SATA2 connections available, so I'm stuck at 3Gbs for now.

John

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,546
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199