Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
How to Transpose a frozen track ?

I have a mgu song in tonality of D. I have to transpose it in tonality of F. The bass track has been edited and tweaked for a long time to fit very well the song.
If I keep the bass track frozen, and then I transpose the song, the bass track don’t get transposed.
So, I unfreeze the bass track and then I transpose the song into F tonality . The bass track don’t get transposed.
What is wrong in this procedure ?

Reach for excellence
R
Expert
Expert
R
Why don't you copy the bass track over to the Soloist track and transpose it there? After that, just leave it there.

R

Veteran
Veteran
I'm pretty sure that if the track is a RealTrack, it's not going to transpose until you regenerate it. Remember, it's an audio rendering, so it won't behave the same as MIDI.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
R
Expert
Expert
R
I didn't think it was a RealTrack by the way it was described. I guess we'll find out.

R

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Rachael : The soloist track is already used for solo purpose. Furthermore, we need a way to be able to transpose any frozen track without moving it to the soloist part. I also have some songs with bass tracks and strings tracks frozen, so in this case, your proposal could not work.
jford : It is a MIDI track , RealTracks cannot be edited.
How do you transpose your BIAB songs with frozen tracks ?

Reach for excellence
L
Veteran
Veteran
L
This is an untested idea which may help. Unfreeze all the tracks and then transpose followed by refreezing the tracks. Do not Play the song.

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

jford : It is a MIDI track , RealTracks cannot be edited.
How do you transpose your BIAB songs with frozen tracks ?

Put the song into Real Band by first saving it as a midi file in Biab and then opening the midi in RB. Don't open the mgu in RB because then it will generate a new bass part. RB is a sequencer so each track stands on its own anyway, no need for a freeze function. You can then change keys as much as you want, you can also regenerate different parts using different styles on a track by track basis without changing what's already there by highlighting any blank track. If you really want to keep the tune in Biab one possibility is after you've changed the key on the bass part in RB, save that track by itself as a midi file by highlighting it and then "save track as midi" and in Biab you can use the melody track to import it by clicking on "melody" and scroll down to "import melody from midi". I don't think you can copy from the melody track back to the bass track but maybe that's possible. If you like to do this sort of thing on a regular basis, I would be using RB in the first place not Biab.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
If I understand well all the inputs, guys , are you saying we cannot transpose correctly - inside BIAB - an entire song with one (or more) frozen track ? Transposition is a very common operation in songs arrangement.
Saving the track in midi file or via RB, etc... cannot work if you have for ex.3 or 4 frozen tracks frozen in a same song.
I hope PG people will add some comments to this thread.

Reach for excellence
R
Expert
Expert
R
FWIW, the Melody and Soloist tracks can be multichannel and handle 16 different tracks. They will transpose there. I use the Soloist for any custom tracks, like Fever's bass line. The intention of BIAB was to have the other tracks auto-generated and leave any customization to Melody/Soloist tracks.

R

Veteran
Veteran
Hi, John-Luke -

If you don't mind, could you send me the song and I'll be happy to play around with it to see if I can get it to transpose? You can send it to sus4chord at yahoo dot com (please make the appropriate character substitutions).

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Saving the track in midi file or via RB, etc... cannot work if you have for ex.3 or 4 frozen tracks frozen in a same song.
I hope PG people will add some comments to this thread.

Yes it can John-Luke, reread my post and hop on over to the Real Band forum and start reading. You can do way more than what you are asking about in RB, no problem at all. The main question is do you have some compelling reason to do this in Biab or is it simply it's what you're familiar with? If you don't have some specific reason, do it in RB. You can use multiple synths for the midi parts as opposed to only one with Biab, use all the Biab styles, use the same RT/RD's that you use with Biab plus you have 48 tracks to work with plus you can record your own multitrack vocals or instruments. You have way more audio editing tools and mastering tools available in RB to finalize your masterpiece and burn it to CD.
Is RB simply a replacement for Biab? No. There are still things that Biab does better like fast generation of RT's, the midi soloist function (but RB does the RT soloist just fine) and a few other things.
Experiement with both of them and find the best way to utilize them. For what I do, I find myself working with RB much more than Biab but others still like Biab better. It's good to have choices.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi jford,
No need to send you my song. Just scratch down in BIAB a 4-bar song in C tonality. Freeze the bass track for ex. and then try to transpose the entire song to D tonality. You can try in BIAB or in RB whatever. Maybe you will succeed to do it !
In paralell time , I have emailed to the technical PG staff in order to get a precise status about this thread.
Thanks to all guys for your help.

Reach for excellence
E
Apprentice
Apprentice
E
John-Luke,

Try this in Band-In-A-Box:

1. Go to the piano roll window and click on the "B" bass track button.
2. Right click anywhere in the grid and select "Select All Note Events."
(They should now all appear red in color.)
3. Now move the mouse cursor to the center of any note until you see an up-and-down arrow.
4. Now hold down the shift key and drag the note to the desired pitch, all the note should move.
5. The bass track is still frozen but now you have transposed all the notes.

Hope that helps,
Ed

Last edited by Ed J.; 07/30/10 05:27 PM.
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Ed J.
You're great ! That is exactly what I was searching for ! And with your turnaround, there is no need to go to Realband, or to save the track into a midi track or do other any operation.
Your workaround is simple and it works. It will be useful for many BIAB users because it seems that nobody knew really how to proceed, except you. thanks.

Reach for excellence
E
Apprentice
Apprentice
E
Glad I could be of help!

Ed

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,581
Posts734,680
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200