Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Post your own Tips and Tricks here
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Here's what I am thinking....

I want to write my song, get it how I want it, then mute the drums completely, save it out to an MP3 file, and then import that MP3 into Sonar. Then I can play the song out from software that sends MIDI clock, write my own drum track on my drum machine or sampler, and then I have the fills how and where I want them when I record the song.

That should work, right?

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
It should work, but what does not work with Real Drums? You can put the fills at any bar marker you want.

Another thought, write the song, export it as midi, and use better softsynth instruments in Sonar to make the midi tracks sound a lot better, and either use midi drums, real drums, or let Sonar play the drum machine. so that you have waht you want, the play that track back into Sonar and use a better drum sampler to play the drums. Bounce it all to a solid MP3 and ......

Last edited by Robh; 04/19/11 04:32 PM.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Like the idea Robh. The bigger scope of this is that at times I need just hat or kick quarter note beats for like 8 bars in an intro or a pickup during a break after a bridge, etc..... if there is a way to make the drum tracks in BIAB play just kick or just hat and put snare hits on off beats like what I can do with a drum machine? I am very new to the software and just now learning the finer tweaks of writing with BIAB.

And actually, thinking more about it, I could just mute the drum tracks during the measures that need those special fills and play those by hand when I record..... either on the Roland drum machine or the M-Audio Trigger Finger connected to the sampler... yeah, this will work out some way or another.

Last edited by eddie1261; 04/19/11 04:58 PM.

2. Send it to us.
Veteran
Veteran
I can't comment on the drum machine but I wondered why you would make an MP3. You can Drag & Drop your BIAB song right into SONAR, where you can mute any track as needed, record new ones, export etc.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
That was my basic question Matt. How do I save a BIAB composition to make it available for import into Sonar as individual tracks? I kind of thought that a BIAB file was all tracks in one file. I was not aware that if a song has drums, bass, piano, guitar.... that each of those is on their own track. Are they also on their own channel?

I am going to go up and play with this in a while with a quickie song I create as a "play with" file. I probably misspoke with "MP3"as I know Sonar will import wav files as well as MIDI and several other formats.

So much to learn all over, though I don't anticipate it will take anywhere near as long as it did to know just basic, rudimentary Sonar operation. I have had that for quite some time and can barely use it.

2. Send it to us.
Veteran
Veteran
Are you using just RealTracks in BIAB or MIDI or a mixture? I take songs into Sonar from BIAB and I always replace the drums - I often like the hits and fills but I really don't like the sound of the kit used. If you're using RealTracks:- You can actually have your Sonar project and BIAB open at the same time - resize the windows so they're side by side - and if you've got a current version of BIAB you can then simply drag each instrment track over into tracks in Sonar (see button top left in BIAB). These are WAVs. If your BIAB song has ok MIDI drum beats then export that as a single MIDI track and import into Sonar, where you can tidy them up/improve them and use I drum sampler to make the drums realistic. I most often use XLN's Addictive Drums which I think sound great. MP3s don't figure in this. Let me know if you need any more help.

John

Songs web site
YouTube Channel
BIAB 2019
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 4
Veteran
Veteran
Drag & Drop the combo button and get everything all in one step.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Here's where I am getting lost. I created a test song (24 bars) in BIAB. I saved it as a wav file. I imported the wav file into Sonar. It did NOT come in as separate tracks. It was all one audio track in Sonar so I couldn't mute just the drums. I will assume from the comments that when I moved it from BIAB to Sonar I did it wrong. The "clicking" and "dragging" are confusing me. I know computers inside and out but "drag" what from where to where is losing me. I know "export" and "import" but in this context I don't know what or where to drag anything. Too many buttons on the toolbars I still have no idea about.

2. Send it to us.
Veteran
Veteran
You probably have not set the Options for Drag & Drop.

Open BIAB 2011.

Play the song you want.

Click on DAW Plugin.

Click on Options.

Put a check in the third and fourth checkboxes, for Drag Combo and Separate Tracks.

Click OK.

Click again on DAW Plugin.

Click on Start Plugin Mode.

Open SONAR.

Create a new project.

Click and Drag the word Combo in BIAB and drag to anywhere in your SONAR project.

Wait. Watch BIAB instruments change color as tracks are loaded into SONAR.

Click on DAW Plugin in BIAB and End Plugin Mode.

Close BIAB.

Adjust the start of the tracks in SONAR if needed and continue in SONAR.

Expert
Expert
Hi Eddie,

If you have Band In A Box 2011 then it's very easy to have the files "Dragged and Dropped".

Here's how... Just below the File menu (top left) is a box labeled DROP.
Now let's say you want to save the Bass.. Click on the bass radio button (to the left of the word Bass)
Click and hold with the mouse and drag the radio button over to the DROP box (you will not be able to physically drag the radio button) but when you let go when it is over the DROP box it will generate a midi or audio file (whatever you have selected in the Daw Plugin mode).
The DROP box should then turn green when it is completed.
Then you should be able to "Drag" what is in the green DROP box to your Sonar or whatever.

Alternatively... If you don't have Band In A Box 2011....
Just click on the Wav icon (the one that looks like a disk with a microphone)
In the menu that opens you can save the file as individual tracks and then import into your Daw.

Hope this helps

Best regards
George

Last edited by George Nelson; 04/20/11 11:59 AM.

Windows 11 64 bit, Biab 2023 1006, Realband 2023 (1)
i7 Desktop Computer 16Gb Memory

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,620
Posts735,183
Members38,517
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
vasilich, maxrob61, TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01
38,517 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185