Print Thread
Go To
Post your own Tips and Tricks here
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
RE; USB AUDIO INTERFACES THAT ARE MULTICLIENT> (mc).

1..Note , this list is not complete i’m sure and ymmv , and i recommend renting any interface for a month to see how well any interface works with your rig. Before buying…cos There are so many configs of pc’s.
Here is mc defined >>>

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/multi-client/

2..Heres an example of how pg user ‘mountainside/jeff’ uses mc in pracrice to quote him >>>
“In practice, I am typically using BIAB, RB and Cakewalk all at the same time, transferring tracks back and forth. One thing I have found is that you have to be careful with how your sound cards and USB ports are set up. Never checkmark to allow anything to have "exclusive" control of anything.” << nice jeff.

3..Heres a list so far in no particular order >>>
..audient
..rme
..behringer umc
..ssl
..motu 828MK3 and micro Lite (what bout m.2//m.4?)
..focusrite generation 3
..native instruments komplete i believe << check on this.
..now please add your own mc device.

if your unsure if your device is mc capable email the manufacturer of your device.

4..AS I SAID THIS LIST IS NOT FINALISED AS THE INDUSTRY IS ALWAYS CHANGEING WITH NEW PRODUCTS ALL THE TIME !

best
om
ps to pg...make this a sticky that can be amended over time ??

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 06/01/22 09:59 AM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Thanks for the list justanoldmuso! This is a very helpful post!

Best,

Jerry
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
Jerry.
thanks.

here is a very interesting comparison done by julian krause..who does very detailed technical analyses of usb audio interfaces.
at the link below at 10mins or so is a very interesting
table // technical analysis of various interfaces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL_HZZwRJnQ

dotted thru the vid are various technical other tables.

i would suggest anyone in the market for an interface check out julians vids on YT which impress me and are very detailed.

i'm trying to get info currently on more interfaces also that are multi client.

i suggest as always renting an interface for a few days to see if its copacetic with ones recording rig.

best/ymmv

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 07/12/22 01:28 PM.

(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
UPDATE Jan 2023.

note..i recommend renting before buying to see if the interface works with your particular rig and win version OR contact the interfaces manufacturer if more clarification needed.

ive found out the following asio interfaces also support multi client asio.

1. motu m4 and m2.
(looks like m2 is MClient asio..but no blend feature.)
2. ssl 2/2+ interfaces.

as usual ymmv etc etc.blah blah lol.

heres a sweetwater shootout tween various usb interfaces
with live instruments n' vocs. (note all might not be MClient). personally i found its a tad of a wash listening to the various live examples....but you form your own opinions...

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/best-audio-interfaces-shootout/

NOTE >> if you anticipate using a dynamic mic like a sm7b
that requires lots of mic pre gain you might assess if the usb interface your thinking of buying has a powerfull enough mic pre..OR use something like a front end booster eg a cloudlifter or for budget in line booster i understand klark teknik make one.

btw if anyone knows any win usb audio mixers that are asio multi client ..it might be of interest to pg users.
so far with the most in depth googling i'm having great difficulty finding this info.

happiness.

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 01/27/23 06:18 AM.

J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
re : Allen Heath Zedi10 fx.

apparently this 4x4 usb audio mixer is multi client asio on pc.

its 24 bit/96khz.

https://www.allen-heath.com/ahproducts/zedi-10fx/

as always try/rent before buying as so many pc configs.
see user manual on above site for further info/specs etc.

happiness.

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 02/04/23 04:57 AM.

J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
BIG TIP.

some cheaper usb audio interfaces dont have mic preamps with enough gain to drive some dynamic mics. i recommend googling in line mic booster.
ive been testing out a fethead with an older interface. works great and results in me not haveing to put the interface gain up as high.
rather impressed. but as always ymmv blah blah.

in summary if you find you have to really crank the gain on the interface mic pre you might look at a fethead or equivalent if your getting problems.

an update on my audient interface.
..not one prob ever.
..great drivers.
..latency of 4 millisecs reported and i could get lower but dont bother.
one tech review i saw on the net mentioned the audients low 0.6 millisecs
internal latency. i believe it as ive not had latency issues. but note my new mini pc has one of the lowest dpc latencies for a pc. one major problem is that some people arent aware of the importance of useing preferably a low microseconds dpc pc for music production.
if the reader of this is thinking about a new pc a great resource that checks out dpc latencies of lots of pc's is notebook check.
just google notebook check dpc latency and the resulting display will show a table of dpc latencies from high to low.
..one thing i really like about the audient is it has 48v switches on each channel via a small app. some gear doesnt have such a feature but just a global 48v for all channels.
..imho the audient mic pres are impressive when i compare them to songs i once did in commercial studios.

ps...i forgot to mention..another thing that has impressed me re audient is how quickly they got back to me when a couple of times i needed clarification on something.

happiness.

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 11/07/23 09:16 AM.

Veteran
Veteran
Good to see you again muso !! let's hope we get that new RealBand soon.

D
DFT Offline
Apprentice
Apprentice
D
Intruding on an old and great tip ...

RME is mentioned. What I don't see is focus on it's four outstanding features. This should absolutely be one of the first products you check out.

1. Most audio manufacturers buy 'packaged' audio device drivers from various software companies. RME writes it's own drivers permitting recording latency down to 3.2 milliseconds and 32 sample buffer ... even on USB 2. Their high end units have both Thunder Bolt and USB ... but there is no difference in performance.

2. RME's digital mixer, TotalMix, is the most comprehensive imaginable permitting every hardware and/ or software input to be routed to any output individually or combined.

Google Barry Johns Studio Talk 'RME - Simply The Best' on YouTube and his multi-part introduction to TotalMix.

3. RME includes a 'real time' audio analyzer app, DIGICheck, with programmable options for full frequency range, Peak and RMS metering and phase coherency.

4. RME has never abandoned a product due to ongoing Operating System changes, i.e., Win 7 to 10 to 11, etc.

And disclaimer, I have no association with RME other than having been a satisfied customer for over 15 years.

Last edited by DFT; 12/23/23 12:54 PM.

Help! I've fallen up and can't get down!
D
DFT Offline
Apprentice
Apprentice
D
Just learned I can't edit a post on this forum ... which I would have done if I could have!

Here's a recent video demonstrating RME across their line features and setting up a unit that functions 100% as a stand alone recorder if not connected to your computer. Very good demonstration of RME TotalMix.

RME UCXII Interface

J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
DFT.

without a doubt rme and drivers are superb.
but the music industry has a problem...viz lots of people have meagre earnings from the music biz.

eg a slew of plays paying 10 bucks to a muso.
in summary thus small project studios just dont often have the budget.

in my case...and im sure lots of musos are in a similar situation..much as i would like various gear..i have family responsibilities.
actually im happy with my chosen budget interface cos
i get only 4ms latency and its multi client.
the songs in my sig used it..now maybe you will think the songs are junk...lol..but ive had various likes and messages from net people i dont know.
sweetwater.com has a section with audio examples of various interfaces for various budgets. i had trouble telling the difference frankly.

to summarise i think more musos would like to buy high end gear if they had income from their songs.

re the interface market its interesting to note well known big studio audio console manufacturers have started offering
interfaces....from my marketing background i suspect this is because the market for these lovely consoles has shrunk.

happy new year.

om

D
DFT Offline
Apprentice
Apprentice
D
OM ... I want to thank you for bringing the issue of multiclient asio to the forum's attention. I sincerely hope I've not offended nor been insensitive or in anyway disdainful of other multiclient asio interfaces. It's true that even RME's entry level Baby Face is several times the cost of many very good 2 channel interfaces ... and that the overall industry continues to bring forward better products at ever better prices on a regular basis.

It is also true that 'you get what you pay for,' and it is often difficult to get in the weeds and truly understand what it actually is you've paid for. As someone who had purchased four or five interfaces my studio outgrew for one reason or another before I happened across RME, I just wanted to share here my experience for others to consider when they investigate purchasing a multiclient asio interface.

Happy New Year and Happier Music Making!

J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
DFT.

sincerely i appreciate your comments.
you are obviously very knowledgeable.
let me say one problem im always faceing in purchasing new gear is how quickly tech gets obsolete.
the fact that older rme gear is still supported from what ive read is impressive.

frankly my current interface was what i call a temporary buy as i expect further interesting developments re usb interfaces. but frankly its surprised me day in and out nary a problem and no driver issues....just works.

fyi ive made more than a few suggestions to manufacturers of interfaces. it will be interesting to see what namm brings.

i wish you a great happy new year

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 01/02/24 11:12 AM.

J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
another interesting interface ive found.
sterling audio h224....80 bucks.
see you tube for more info.
looks like big bang for the buck.
but global 48v phantom i believe ?
not per channel ?

i havent used it so do your own review.. but lots of nice features.
if anyone knows if its drivers are multi client please post back....as icant find this info.

happiness

om

J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
UPDATE FOR LOW GAIN MIC PRE's IN INTERFACES.
(MARCH 2024)

i mentioned before how to solve the issue of some sound interfaces not having enough gain in their mic pre's for low output dynamic mics.
(i.e. use an in line booster product between the mic and the interface.)
but i notice now a trend to actually build the boosters into the dynamic mics themselves.
Here's some budget ones to consider.
(see you tube for reviews).

..sterling audio p30. about 80 bucks.
..se electronics dynacaster dcm 6. about 200 bucks ?
And I believe Logitech has one ?
and of course there is now a version for the sm7b.

I heard the p30 on a singer. sounded nice to me.
and the dynacaster sounded good too. but do your analysis. didnt have time to hear sm7b or logitech.
i heard one of the above either p30 or dcm (forgotten where on you tube) put up against a very expensive
mic costing over 3 g's . sounded good to me but do your evaluation.
if anyone knows more mics with built in boosters please post back.

another option for low output mics to interfaces is to firstly plug the mic into a mic pre.
so mic >> mic pre >> interface idea.
eg you could use a cheap art tube mp or another mic pre.
(NOTE. please dont yammy on me about the 50 buck art being only for bass players…lol.
ive used very high end pre's and compared vocals to the art...if you doubt me further just go on gearspace.com and look for a hilarious thread where an audio engineer posts blind tests audio examples of the art viz other mic pres...and then reveals later which examples were art. its an entertaining thread for one of those rainy days…many people got it wrong…lol.)

Now go make some great vocals.

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 03/14/24 07:57 AM.

J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
Re sterling audio audio h224 interface…

There is an interesting video i found comparing on you tube the h224 and focusrite….

It seems the very inexpensive h224 might have several advantages.
see the vid…

lots of other videos on you tube too including sound examples.

NOTE…i dont know if it's multi client.
but for someone getting into music production not wanting to spend oodles…it might be of interest.
The sound examples I heard were impressive.

as always/caveats …ymmv…blah blah..youll have to test one etc.
Most gear shops have a 30 day policy.

happiness.

om

Veteran
Veteran
FYI: Both +++ Guitar Center +++ and +++ Musician's Friend +++ have the Sterling H224 audio interface on sale for $79.99.

The included software package is serial numbers for a trial version of Steven Slate plugins, as well as the full versions of Bitwing 8 track DAW and Two Notes Audio Engineering "Torpedo Wall of Sound" speaker and microphone plugin.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,449
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195