Print Thread
Go To
#391387 01/20/17 12:36 PM
RealBand
Kev T Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
I prefer working in RB mostly as it's more like the DAWs I'm used to but have had a few problems recently with "sound dropout" and stuttering on playback especially after putting FX on mixer screen.
I notice that most times the CPU usage reading seems very high. The first reading shown is the actual RealBand CPU loading and the second reading shows 100% a lot of the time even when playing back. I use a dual core processor (Intel TM2Duo E7500 @2.93Ghz with 8 Megabytes of RAM and have Windows 7 64 bit). The C: drive is 1Tb with 2 X 500Gb partitions which are both about half full. I run BIAB and RB directly from the PG drive (F:) with no interaction with C: drive. Audio interface is Focusrite 18i20 and ASIO settings appear correct in BB & RB.

I understand that handling realtrack .wavs is quite CPU intensive but would have thought that my system could still cope adequately with BB and RB without looking like it's on overload most of the time.

Any ideas please? What do other forum members CPU readings show?

BIAB 2022 PLUSPAK (ext HD), 49PAKs, STYLESPAKs 1 - 6, Win 7 64bit PC, REAPER, Ozone, Adobe Audition CS6, EZ Drummer3 + EZ Keys,Soundcraft MTK22, Behringer X Touch Universal Controller,, SE Gemini/Rode NT2/Neumann/Shure mics
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
What audio resolution is your speaker set to? (For example: 24 bit, 48,000 Hz.)

Also: What plugins do you have loaded and how many tracks are you working with? Does each track have its own plugins?

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
RealBand
Kev T Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hi Noel96,

Audio resolution set to 16bit, 44.1 Resampler quality "Good" (not overly high quality but most of the finished songs would finish up on CDs)

I'm just using the PG FX at the moment....but my FX list also has Sony Express FX and others that RB picked
up from other VSTs like Antares Autotune, lots of Waves FX which I haven't used yet, Lexicon PSP42, Ozone 4
and Amplitube.

Each track has access to all same above effects. Even though I'm not using other effects than PG ones would this put pressure on CPU usage? Can I restrict how many FX each track has access to?

Thanks for your help with this

BIAB 2022 PLUSPAK (ext HD), 49PAKs, STYLESPAKs 1 - 6, Win 7 64bit PC, REAPER, Ozone, Adobe Audition CS6, EZ Drummer3 + EZ Keys,Soundcraft MTK22, Behringer X Touch Universal Controller,, SE Gemini/Rode NT2/Neumann/Shure mics
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Are there any other non-music programs running...there shouldn't be.

Are you using a wireless network card...if so it will keep polling and use lots of CPU...disable when you are running RB.

Is your antivirus scanning each tracks, file, etc from the external PG drive....exclude the external PG drive from AV realtime scans.

Do you have your ASIO buffers set extremely low putting more load on the CPU...perhaps back them off a bit and see if this has an effect on latency and sound.

No need to restrict access to PG FX on each tracks if they are not being used (active).

Typically, I'll see a 25% RB load and 50% Total CPU load on the system until RB has completely loaded all audio tracks....remember RB completely loads all tracks before playback can start unlike BIAB which regens on the fly so to speak. But after all the tracks have load, my RB drops to approx. 2% on RB and 8-10% total load on the system on playback using 5-7 audio tracks.

Jeff

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
What do other forum members CPU readings show?

Something sounds off.
I loaded a seq file with 23 audio tracks and literally dozens of plugins on this system just now, while online.
RB CPU reads between 16-20% during playback.
Tri-core processor (2.5 gHz) and 4 gig RAM. W7-64 prof. OS.

Maybe try Process Monitor or Process Explorer (free from MS) to track down the cause.
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processexplorer.aspx

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
Kev T Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thank you for those great suggestions. Plenty to look at there!

Rharv. Thanks for the link to Process Explorer. Much more comprehensive than the MS screens. I'll check that out.

Mountainside. A lot of great ideas. Taking them one by one......

1. It's an Acer "All in one" PC and although it has a wireless network card it's shown as disabled on the system (Broadband comes via LAN cable). Bluetooth also turned off.
2. Antivirus is Bullguard but "scan external USB devices" is turned off. (I does however do regular auto scans and checks which seem to slow down the processor quite a bit when it cuts in......so could perhaps have affected RB)?
3. ASIO buffers set to 6ms. That works glitch free with Reaper but I'll push it up to 10ms and see if that helps.

CPU meter readings do seem to be much better today (Playback averaging CPU 3 to 15%) but Generating Real Tracks the CPU meter often showing 50-60% RB and 100% total and mostly red during this process. (I do understand that the Generation stage is very CPU intensive but yesterday and some other days it seems to be in the red a lot of the time). Do your machines show red during that stage.

I appreciate the time you have taken to give suggestions. Many thanks
Regards
Kev.

Last edited by Kev T; 01/21/17 07:03 AM.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, my screen shows red when generating.
I want that!
Git 'er done as fast as possible.

RealBand
Kev T Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Originally Posted By: rharv
Yes, my screen shows red when generating.
I want that!
Git 'er done as fast as possible.

Well that's some relief Rharv. I thought I had something wrong going on when it showed red and was giving high readings.

Thanks again for your help. cool

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Kev,

6 ms buffer in ASIO could certainly cause stuttering. Try increasing it to a large value (say 100 ms) and see if that helps. If it does, move to lower values from there until you find the limit that works.

Also, the antivirus program could be contributing. I don't know enough about your a/v software to help with this. Do you run BIAB/RB from a USB drive and not the computer's hard drive?

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, generating RealTracks is CPU intensive...lots of data to process. But as Rharv noted, you want your processor to focus on that as a high priority event to get it done as quickly as possible.

You might not see this happening in BIAB as BIAB and RB process RealTracks and regenerations a bit differently. BIAB processes these events on the fly and will start playback quicker while still processing in the background. RB, on the other hand, does all of this work up front before you can start playback.

I'm sure there must be good reasons for this, don't know why it works like does...but it does.

Jeff

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
RealBand
Kev T Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Many thanks to all for your suggestions.

Noel, Yes I run BB & RB directly from the PG USB drive (clicking .exe files from there too set as Administrator).
I'll try increasing the buffer size but have had some minor latency problems in Reaper with buffer sizes higher than 10ms. On the Focusrite I can direct monitor.... but prefer to monitor though Reaper (to be able to hear vocals with effects running through bus track). Just trying to get a happy medium so I'm not having to change buffer sizes for every job.

Kev

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
I'm sure there must be good reasons for this, don't know why it works like does...but it does.

Can you 'Undo' in BiaB?
I mean, once you hit play and it starts regenerating you can't go back to the exact thing you had before, can you?

RB can. It's writing the undo while also writing the new generated material.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
That's an interesting point Rharv....didn't think about that...and another point in favor of using RB. I assume you mean that the previous version is saved somewhere while the newly regenerated version is shown in the app? Where does it store the previous version? In the RBBACKUP directory?

Jeff

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, and there are settings to control how many of each song, what to do with the older ones, how much space can it use .. etc.
These are in the Preferences-Files tab.

RB does this in two ways;
While working on a file, all edits are stored in the Audio Temp Directory (assigned in the Audio tab I believe, so drive is selectable)
Then when you Save a backup is made.

If you want to see what your system has stored for backups use the RB 'File-Open Special-Open Backup' menu item. This shows the backup folder for the current running version.
If I recall you can also control the drive for this part too, but I think that is hidden in a config file somewhere you have to tinker with.
This is not info needed for most users.

If you want to see your Audio Temp Directory, go to the Prefs Audio tab and note (or change) it's location. I use a separate drive for this but that's just me.
You can make it whatever you want.
Anyway, in File Explorer you can watch that folder grow during a session as edits are made (the Undo edits). However, once you save/close RB it empties out and cleans itself out, so these undo options are now gone .. but you do have the previous (and probably even previous to that) B/U version available as mentioned above. At least until you reach one of the restrictions in the backup options and it gets removed, also mentioned above.

There's backups of backups available (in a way) .. some only available during a session (undo), and some for 'I want to go back to yesterday' .. which are more persistent and available.

Last edited by rharv; 01/23/17 03:05 PM.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,469
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195