Print Thread
Go To
RealBand
R
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
R
I've changed to a hardware preamp instead of a software preamp and it doesn't have the ability to add reverb while recording. Recording my vocals dry is affecting my pitch. Is there some way to add reverb in RB that I can hear while recording? If not, is there some other workaround that I am not thinking of? I've started recording with one side of the cans halfway off and that has helped, but it isn't my favorite option. Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help.

Ricky

________
Songwriter-Artist
RickyHarris.com
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Using ASIO will allow for direct monitoring of effects.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
RealBand
R
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
R
I'm using MME. Do I need to switch? Any other thoughts?

Ricky

________
Songwriter-Artist
RickyHarris.com
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
If you can run ASIO you can use 'Realtime Monitoring' option in the audio settings dialogue.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I agree try the ASIO-SIO-IO-O!

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

If you can run ASIO you can use 'Realtime Monitoring' option in the audio settings dialogue.

The operative word here is "IF"

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
RealBand
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
My question is different, why does dry recording alter your Pitch? You should be able to record vocals dry and have better results than "wet" vocals with give you since you hear them clearer and cleaner. I would thing reverb and delay would make it harder to get the pitch down, not easier.

Plus if you record with effects there is no going back, what you get is it. There is no adjustment, except additive at that point.

Getting less pitchy vocals takes a lot of work and getting comfortable with your system. I still struggle at times when I do not do several complete run throughs before "running tape" and get very familiar with the song. Then I try to do 3 or 4 full takes of the vocal, and listen to them for miscues and pitch issues.

Also when doing a original song where their has never been a true melody, just the one in my head, it is easier to get thrown off. On cover work, where i have heard the melody for years, i do far better.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
To me not being able to sing on key dry is like the guy who says " well I don't sing lead but I can do backups." The reverb is masking the off key vocals. If you aren't on key dry you aren't on key wet. Can't sing lead you can't do harmonies.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
RealBand
R
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
R
I have had multiple voice coaches and producers tell me to record with some level of reverb. The reason is because your brain is used to hearing your voice with the reverb of your surroundings. When it doesn't hear it that way it causes your vocal cords to act differently. It is similar to when you have a cold. You talk and sing differently. So much so that some people get long term voice issues because they alter their mechanics so that they sound the way they normally sound. You want your voice to perform naturally. It is the same reason many artists record with one side of the cans off, or half off. They need to hear their voice the way they are used to hearing it so that they can sing naturally.

While I indicated it was a pitch issue, I was being simplistic. There are many other factors involved.

Hope this bit of info helped. :-)

Ricky

________
Songwriter-Artist
RickyHarris.com
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Actually what is done alot is to run a little bit of reverb through the headphone mix for the singer to hear for "inspiration" while recording the vocal dry. I don't know how to accomplish this in RB. Maybe someone else does.

Another question would be is that possible in Reaper? Reaper is cheap and seems to be getting lots of good reviews around here. And RB seems to work well with it from what I hear soooo... It's free to try - if it'll do what you want. Maybe somebody knows.

Last edited by Sundance; 11/09/10 11:18 PM.
RealBand
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Separate hardware unit, like the uiquitous Nanoverb, or use the band PA for monitoring only, with its built in reverb.

The above solutions, being hardware, are surefire, do not tax the CPU and other resources, and will work evert time provided they get wired up properly.

--Mac

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
IN RB-
enable input monitoring in audio preferences window (ASIO must be selected)
do not enable 'record IM or the reverb will get recorded.

Go to the track, select DX FX button and on the top box scroll to bottom to use InputMonitor with realtime effects..

ASIO must be on for this to be enabled
As Mac mentioned, it does tax the system, although I have used it on an XP machine with 2 gig RAM and Athlon 2.1gHz single core CPU.

I prefer Mac's method in day to day work here.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Actually what is done a lot is to run a little bit of reverb through the headphone mix for the singer to hear for "inspiration" while recording the vocal dry.

Ditto but if you have a pitch issue I'd work on it dry. Don't get caught up in the "singing in the shower" problem.
Bottom line though is do what gets you the result you need.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,632
Posts735,244
Members38,521
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
SYOTR, Bpnsrinu, DanyLevy, vasilich, maxrob61
38,520 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 184