Print Thread
Go To
#136692 12/01/11 02:04 AM
RealBand
N
OP Offline
N
Greetings Everyone,

I am trying to use RealBand as a multi-track recorder/DAW. How do I assign tracks to the individual inputs of my mixer? Can this be done or am I misunderstanding how this program works?

I have gone to Preferences, Audio Drivers and can see My ASIO device and the individual (0-11) input channels.

I've assigned various channels as default in the Windows Sound Control Panel. There are no error messages and properties tell my my device is working properly.

When I right click a track, I can select track type MIDI, Stereo, Mono but do not see anything which would lead me to input assignments.

I have scanned the FAQs and the forum area, but don't see instructions for "How to assign input channels in RealBand." I'm not suggesting that the info isn't here somewhere, but I have failed to discover it and certainly can use some help. Thanks in advance.

Software: BIAB/RealBand 2011.5

Hardware: Mackie ONYX 1220i firewire 12 channel mixer

Computer: 64Bit Windows 7, 16Gig RAM, Intel i7

RealBand
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Have you been able to get your Onyx to work with Tracktion from Mackie? Tracktion should have shipped with the mixer.

-Scott

RealBand
N
OP Offline
N
It was a download, but yes, it works with Tracktion, so that tells me the mixer and computer are working together. So how does one select inputs in RealBand?

Last edited by Nostrovio; 12/01/11 10:03 AM.
RealBand
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Quote:

It was a download, but yes, it works with Tracktion, so that tells me the mixer and computer are working together. So how does one select inputs in RealBand?

That will have to be a question answered by someone else here. Just wanted to make sure that you got it to work with something else. One thing to think about is that Tracktion will likely default to the ASIO audio drivers for your Onyx. ASIO support with PG products is one of those gray areas that has to be answered by someone with deeper knowledge of PG current offerings.

-Scott

RealBand
N
OP Offline
N
I appreciate your attention to at least see that I have the mixer interfacing correctly. Good place to start. Let's see what the "deeper knowledge folks" have to say.

Thanks Scott.

-Les

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
First thing to do is see if you can tell what IS working in the other program, you'll want to try the same device setting (drivers) in RB first.

Options-Preferences-Audio tab (in RB)
Select ASIO if the other program was using ASIO, if it was MME or WDM or something else .. just leave it as MME in Realband.

Now select 'drivers' button. This allows selection of the input and output device settings via their drivers. This is how RB can tell which device you want to record from and play back on, so use the columns to select your intended device by making it the only one highlited. Then click 'Move selected device to top' button to make your selection the default in RB.

Click OK, and try the input/output device (previously selected via its driver). If it doesn't wotk, try another logical devcie (driver). But if the driver works in another DAW, you should be able to get it working in RB with a little effort. Try not to change windows soundcard settings, as this may affect the process sometimes. Stay in RB drivers area to make changes or the soundcards mixer applet if needed. Those should take priority from RB once selected.

Last edited by rharv; 12/01/11 05:17 PM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
N
OP Offline
N

Quote:

First thing to do is see if you can tell what IS working in the other program, you'll want to try the same device setting (drivers) in RB first.

I can see/select each of the 12 input channels using Tracktion and Vegas Pro. ASIO is chosen. When I produce a sound source, I see the corresponding VU indications.

Quote:

Options-Preferences-Audio tab (in RB)
Select ASIO if the other program was using ASIO, if it was MME or WDM or something else .. just leave it as MME in Realband.

Now select 'drivers' button. This allows selection of the input and output device settings via their drivers. This is how RB can tell which device you want to record from and play back on, so use the columns to select your intended device by making it the only one highlited. Then click 'Move selected device to top' button to make your selection the default in RB.

When I navigate here, ASIO is chosen. In Drivers, there is only one device: Loud ASIO (My mixer) and it correctly reflects all my input channels in the left Input Port(s)column. The right Output port(s) column displays Output 1 + Output 2. (There is no move command, but I suspect this is because I have but a single device???)

Quote:

Click OK, and try the input/output device (previously selected via its driver). If it doesn't wotk, try another logical devcie (driver). But if the driver works in another DAW, you should be able to get it working in RB with a little effort.

The settings appear as I would expect. This is where I get stuck. All my tracks are output tracks. MIDI, mon or stereo are the choices, but all output and I see nothing which allows me to assign an audio track to a particular input channel. In fact, I can find nothing at all which referes to input. What view should I be viewing? I've looked through track setting in mixer view as well as track view.

Thanks for walking me this far. Ready for the next steps. lol

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Right click each track (in tracks window) and assign them to an audio output port available in MOTU. It's 'port' option after right clicking. This assigns output per track. You want to send your individual tracks out to the mixer, so select an individual port for each one. Then (hopefully) those outputs from the MOTU are physically wired to the mixer.. and should register signal at the mixer when played.

However, there is no 'input' port selection from the tracks view; just *output* for existing tracks.

You select the *input* in the same drivers button section described above (opt-pref-audio-driver). Remember previously when you recorded 8 tracks at once? They were made available there in the drivers input section.
This forces RB to record all selected input ports (devices - selected via drivers button) in that one 'drivers' window. Once you select a blank track to record on it puts the rest of the ports on the next blank track. You did this part before; so you know you want to enable only the two inputs coming back in from the mixer to record your mixdown... onto a blank track.

Last edited by rharv; 12/01/11 06:13 PM.

RealBand
N
OP Offline
N
Hmm. I have not a clue what MOTU is. I've not recorded 8 tracks at once.

As I understand, I want to capture the individual tracks from my mixer onto RB. I am not interested in a mixdown.

Not to be rude, but is it possible that my thread has been confused/mixed with an adjacent thread?

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Yep, I did that.
My fault

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Does your soundcard (mixer) allow recording to multiple tracks

If so-
For *inputs* you go to 'options-preferences-audio tab- drivers button' and enable the inputs you want. These inputs (if highlited) will be recorded.
Then go to tracks view, select a blank audio track to record to, and hit record for a few seconds (to test). Hit stop, and you'll be asked to 'keep take'; say yes.

RB will put the recorded inputs onto the selected (record) track and then the next available blank tracks (in order) from the selected drivers.
One key here is selecting to record to a stereo or mono track. If a stereo track then input 1/2 goes to L/R of first track .. input 3/4 goes to L/R of next available track .. etc.
If a mono track is selected to record to, input 1 goes to that track, input 2 goes to next available track, input 3 to next .. you'll see them after testing (if it is working)

Last edited by rharv; 12/01/11 07:37 PM.

RealBand
N
OP Offline
N
LOL

*whew* for a bit there I thought I was losing my mind..... worse than normal. lol

OK, I I've discovered the procedures and think I finally have a better understanding of the RB interface.

As I see it: There is no way to manually assign channels to tracks. However many inputs are highlighted in the options, audio, drivers windows will determine the quantity of inputs tracks/channels to be recorded. It will associate that number of tracks, in sequence, first to last , begining with the currently highlighted track.
While this doesn't allow preassignment of channels/tracks, it does provide basic multitrack recording.

the cons I see to using RB for recording live input:

1) Cannot easily perform a prerecording soundcheck to adjust levels
2) One cannot assign fixed channels to tracks. It can be setup to record as desired, but a simple inadvertant click leaving the cursor on a different track and next recording is in a new, unexpected location.
3) To turn on or off a particular channel for recording isn't as simple as arming or disarming track recording.
(I admit to being rather anal about control and documenting my projects - assign and label tracks re: input type, other grouping, etc and assign tracks based on my factors and not simply numerical sequence)

My conclusion is that to have the control I desire over my recording, I best use Vegas or Sonar for recording and then manually import the recorded files into RB.

I'd prefer to stay within BiaB and RB so I am disappointed with my assessment and needing to go to a difference software. If anyone disagrees or sees flaws with my observations and views RB as the recording DAW of choice, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks again for taking the time to look into this.

Les

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
My conclusion is that you are a fast learner.

Oh and of course Rharv is a good teacher....

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

RealBand
N
OP Offline
N

LOL Thanks.

And I agree that Rharv's attention to detail does make it easier to troubleshoot when addressing issues remotely.

(if we can keep him on the right thread! hehehehehe sorry, I couldn't resist)

Les

P.S. By the way, It took a lot of research to find a mixer (affordable in my price range) that does multitrack recording. All but a handful will only mixdown to one stereo track. The Firewire interfaced mixers do, but only the USB interfaced mixers labeled as: USB 2.0 will. The onles simply labeled "USB" do not. I did get to play with the Alesis Multimix USB 2.0 and almost kept it before deciding I liked the features and Mic premaps better on the Onyx. Behringer is planning on a USB 2.0 mixer sometime in 2012.

RealBand
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Nostrovio - once you get to the point of mixing down, make sure to fire up Tracktion for the mastering plugins alone. Final Mix is a great final mix plugin with tons of presets that can put that extra icing on the cake.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Nostrovio
For your 1-2-3 list.

Soundcheck for levels is a function of the soundcard applet, open the software for the mixer of the device you are using. Most complete setup you'll get, and will run while RB is running.
Yes clicking on a wrong track to record on will wreak havoc; out a 'locked record track' item in the wishlist. I've not heard anyone else say that was an issue, so it's a new one on me.
I agree that 'assigned' order of inputs is clumsy. I'm going to suggest that device selection window (drivers button) allows the listings to be re-arranged so we can a least pick the order of the inputs and that would correspond to the order of resulting tracks.

That said, it is possible to move the tracks around in the order you want once recorded, so all the guitars are together, all the violins, all the bagpipes .. Click on track number and drag them up/down.

RealBand
N
OP Offline
N
Quote:

Soundcheck for levels is a function of the soundcard applet, open the software for the mixer of the device you are using. Most complete setup you'll get, and will run while RB is running.

Great idea. simple. That hadn't occurred to me.. Solves the major issue.

Quote:

Yes clicking on a wrong track to record on will wreak havoc; out a 'locked record track' item in the wishlist. I've not heard anyone else say that was an issue, so it's a new one on me.

Sounds like it wouldn't hurt for me to be a bit more flexible. lol

Thanks again.

N

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,578
Posts734,614
Members38,498
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai, Tony1234, trustedmedications
38,497 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 194