Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#143823 12/28/11 04:03 PM
RealBand
P
OP Offline
P
Hi....while I've been learning how to make backing tracks in BIAB and also bring them into RB for adding more midi instrument files or already existing audio files, I'm a total novice when it comes to the idea of recording something "live" into RB. I've made a few tracks in both BIAB and RB and now want to try to add myself both vocally and on my horn(I'm a trumpet player) to make a demo CD,etc. Is RealBand like a recording program to be able to do this?(not that I'm knowledgable on those either,heh) If so, what do I use to plug mics into and/or where would that plug into the computer? Am I able to have "playback" of the existing song while I record?

Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Phil

RealBand
Journeyman
Journeyman
Indeed. This is exaclty how I use Real Band. Do the arrangement in BIAB, then bring it into RB to add my 'live' playing parts, vocals etc.

You will need some kind of interface between your mic, guitar and the computer. Check into M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Tascam models.. both make USB interfaces that should work well with Real Band. You will need to use ASIO drivers for low latency during tracking the live stuff along with your tracks.

More detailed info will follow soon by the more veteran type guys.

http://m-audio.com/products/en_us/FastTrackPro.html

http://tascam.com/product/us-144mkii/

Last edited by MitchC; 12/28/11 04:15 PM.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Yes you can have playback at same time, as long as 'Full Duplex' is enabled in the audio options (it's been many years since that was an issue on most systems).

Is it a desktop or laptop? This will affect choices. Do you have a PCI slot available (if desktop)
Do you have a USB 2.0 port available if a laptop?
Need more info to recommend anything, but you will need a soundcard device to record into, and one that can accept a mic (unless you have a mixer laying around and I'm guessing you don't).

Yes, Realband is up to the task. I've recorded as many as 16 tracks at once doing 'live' recording.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
P
OP Offline
P
Quote:

Indeed. This is exaclty how I use Real Band. Do the arrangement in BIAB, then bring it into RB to add my 'live' playing parts, vocals etc.

You will need some kind of interface between your mic, guitar and the computer. Check into M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Tascam models.. both make USB interfaces that should work well with Real Band. You will need to use ASIO drivers for low latency during tracking the live stuff along with your tracks.

Thanks for all this. Again I'm a total novice still, but I DID figure out how to add an old mp3 horn track to a BIAB rhythm track I made. Had to cut/paste and adjust tempos to get em to match,heh. So I figured there HAD to be a "next step" to being able to record on this thing,heh.

Phil

RealBand
P
OP Offline
P
Quote:

Yes you can have playback at same time, as long as 'Full Duplex' is enabled in the audio options (it's been many years since that was an issue on most systems).

Is it a desktop or laptop? This will affect choices. Do you have a PCI slot available (if desktop)
Do you have a USB 2.0 port available if a laptop?
Need more info to recommend anything, but you will need a soundcard device to record into, and one that can accept a mic (unless you have a mixer laying around and I'm guessing you don't).

Yes, Realband is up to the task. I've recorded as many as 16 tracks at once doing 'live' recording.

Well...I have to learn about "full duplex" too I think,heh.

I have the BIAB 2010.5 with it's RealBand attached program,etc. I'm also on a regular desktop and a couple USB ports on the front of the tower available,etc. I DO have "Soundblaster" for my sound on the computer so BIAB/RB has been playing I think through that,etc. It also does have a "mic" input channel of sorts but I've never used it before,etc. My BIAB and RB are on the desktop so I don't have that other newer set up with the separate hard drive,etc.

Phil

RealBand
Journeyman
Journeyman
Yep, there's always that 'next step'... the guys around here will be your crutches ! rharv and others will still want to know more about what you currently have in order to make the proper recommendations for your unique situation. I made some generic ones based on my use (laptop) so I use the USB type sound cards. You have more options if you use a desktop computer... do you have speakers ? You'll need to use headphones when recording live parts that require a microphone... so headphone option on the interface may be important etc, etc.

Last edited by MitchC; 12/28/11 04:52 PM.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
I strongly suggest the M-Audio Fast Track Pro. It will give you 2 inputs and 2 outputs, and easy interface through USB. You would then just connect a mic or line cord to the interface and play onto an empty track. Select an empty track in Real Band, and then click "Record Audio (is that what the button says?) and play your parts. At that point it's just another track to the computer.

In my case those two inputs were fed by a 16 channel mixing board where all my "manual" instruments are connected, but that's just my case. Many ways to do anything and the users here have all had success with many methods.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
RealBand
P
OP Offline
P
Quote:

Quote:

Man....just checked with Best Buy on that M-Audio one....$149 bucks?..... heh. One of the music stores I teach at has a used Alesis interface with two mic inputs for like $70?

Phil

RealBand
Journeyman
Journeyman
If you can get by with only 1 input...

http://compare.ebay.com/like/11078885438...gsi=y&cbt=y

...or I'd sell you mine if interested (PM me)

You need to make sure whatever you buy has ASIO driver support, and outputs to speakers etc.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
if you can live without 24 bit audio, here's a 16 bit device that is the least expensive audio interface I've found (under $35) :

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/behringer-uphono-ufo202-usb-audio-interface/476149000000000

You can buy them separately at this price, and they also come bundled with a lot of different Behringer products such as mixers

I'm pretty sure there are ASIO drivers available for it. I got one bundled with my Behringer Xenyx mixer. It was easy to set up... just plugged it into a USB port and windows recognized it as an audio interface. It showed up in my list of ins/outs with no hassle.

RealBand
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
On the other hand i always suggest not scrimping on the interface. It is truly the heart and soul of the system. everything comes and goes from there. Having a solid stable interface or card is a life saver.

I have used a M-Audio 24/96 card for years, and never have issues. I recently bought a Tascam US 800 USB interface, and while it works pretty good, it is not as trouble free as the card. Figure out what you want. Do you want to record alone, or with others that will determine how many inputs, then what kind of attachment card, USB, or Firewire. Buy once record forever.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Does the 24/96 have XLR mic connections? He (OP) may need that ..

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Buy once record forever

in my experience, the physical electronics tend to outlast the technology curve.

even when (especially when?) you buy good stuff, something more desirable will be available long before it wears out.

My current strategy is to buy the less expensive item that's good enough to get 'er done, with the expectation that I'll trash it when I outgrow it and buy something else that is better than what I had, but which is cheaper than the current state of the art toy because now it's a year old (but still within the product life cycle)

(I hope my high school grammar teacher doesn't monitor the forum.. that last sentence was an embarrassment!)

RealBand
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
You are right Pat, technology changes very rapidly. I want to build a new desktop but also want to keep my Delta 44 which is a PCI card. Alot of the new motherboards don't have a PCI slot. USB 3 devices will be the next new cards to hit since they will be 10 times faster than USB 2.0
Brian

BIAB 2024 Ultrapack- Studio One Pro 6.5 Windows 10

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

even when you buy good stuff, something more desirable will be available long before it wears out.

So true. My keyboards are all late 80s vintage and I will not buy new. All the new stuff boasts about being so "everything in one" that it takes an advanced degree to figure them out. Terminology is not universal. I want to be able to hit internal sound bank, group 1, and know that the second button on the top row is that killer organ sound that Ensoniq was famous for. The ESQ-1 was my learning curve keyboard where I learned about building block song structure. Bass goes here, piano on the next track, strings on the next, organ on the next, etc.... save it as a song, send MIDI clock to the drum machine.... done.

Just like what we do in Real Band on a computer screen!!

The new Korg Kronus... AMAZING unit. And if I buy one, I will tell you in 14-15 months how it works, because it would take me that long to learn it. WAY too confusing. I wonder how long Jordan Rudess had a prototype before he did the demos at the NAMM show.

2. Send it to us.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Phil,
YOU DO NOT NEED ASIO DRIVERS TO RECORD IN REAL BAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Trying to use ASIO will set you up for failure.You will have no latency while monitoring through the interface.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

You will need to use ASIO drivers for low latency during tracking the live stuff along with your tracks.

Why does everybody push ASIO drivers?

Latency comes from disturbing the OS running in the background, like a mouse movement or a keystroke would send an interrupt message to the OS. These are called IRQs (Interrupt Requests). When you move a mixer with your mouse, you will get a latency event. However, while recording an extenal instrument, you are not playing with your mouse or keyboard.

This is the way computers have worked forever. Your CPU is sitting there cycling undisturbed asking "Have any work for me? Have any work for me? Have any work for me? Have any work for me? How about now?" until you give it "work". Tap the space bar, roll the mouse, poll for mail on your wireless network.... once you give the OS a "job" to do, it momentarily pauses what else is going on to do it. In 99.99% of the cases that pause is so fast it is imperceptable. However, with music playback, should you use your mouse to boost or cut a slider on a channel, that IRQ will cause a "burp" in the sound being played back. NEITHER driver will eliminate that. It CAN make the latency gap so small you don't notice it, but it will happen every time you send an IRQ. That is NEVER zero latency. And before 17 people tell me how they have no latency, let me repeat that it may be .00000000000000001 nanoseconds, but it is there all the time.

This is why I traversed the long and winding road (and forum threads) of adding hardware that allows me to mix on a mixer and off the computer. When I record or play back I do not touch the computer running Real Band other than to start it and stop it. Volume changes can come later. I can move sliders on my mixer all day and night and I do not disturb what is going on in the computer.

Bottom line, your MME driver with the latency buffer at about 500 and "Quick Volume Changes" enabled should make the latency so small you won't hear it.

The thing that is hard to remember is that you can't play sloppy like Bob's garage band and expect it to come out sounding like the digital remix of Sgt Pepper.... you need to have an ear for EQ and when to (and when not to) add effects.... and experiment. Experiment with your hardware, your software, and your skills.

2. Send it to us.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Yea Eddie, the fact is Windows is, and has always been, broke.

They should have borrowed more than they did from unix/xenix/linux and the 300 or so variants. All of them allow you to attach priorities to fix that issue.

I disagree on keyboards. I have 4. I got a Korg Ps60, straight forward, great horns/strings, organs. You can lift it with 2 fingers. I've had it over a year and not opened the manual yet.

EVERYone needs a good up to date USB mixer, but unless you are mic'in drums or recording more than a 2 piece band you don't need a 16 in hardware solution.

IN fact, when Peter first put in the ability to record in Band in a Box the examples were using the cheap mic built into a laptop. And it sounded not bad.

Unless you've a drawer full of cash (please pm me for where to send some )incremental is the way to go. Next thing you know you have a board the size of a car, and U2 are sitting in your house waiting to record and all your beer is gone again.

John Conley
Musica est vita
RealBand
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Latency is the round trip time it take for sound to travel thru the system from the sound card/interface into the software, and back to the sound card/interface to exit to the ears. MME drivers do not have the speed compensation for this that ASIO drivers do. One thing to remember when PG product say MME they actually use the updated WDM drivers which are faster than the older MME, but still do not compensate like ASIO does.

ASIO4All on the other hand wraps the WDM drivers and makes them function very much like ASIO.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
WDM drivers can be very fast if set to be so. ASIO gets a higher priority in the system though

Last edited by rharv; 01/01/12 08:04 AM.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,619
Posts735,161
Members38,517
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
maxrob61, TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose
38,516 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 182