Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
RealBand
W
OP Offline
W
I am a newbee to BIAB and RealBand, so excuse this simple question. I searched the forum and the manual but did not find any valuable answer, and now am very nervous because I fear I lost all the recordings I did today ...

Where saves RealBand recorded audio? What are the file names and file types? What happens with that kind of data when the RealBand session is "saved as ..." as a BIAB file?

I imported a BIAB-file in RealBand and recorded several tracks. On each track I recorded about 10 or 12 takes (rewind to start, record, rewind to start, record ...)

Then I saved the file as an BIAB-file, this option was automatically offered in that situation as the default file format.

After reopening the session only one track of audio with only one take re-occured in the session - without effects and on a different location in the tracks view window. The file that re-occured is the file I assigned as "Audio" in the "Save as BIAB-file"-dialog.

I searched for wav files with todays date and I checked all audio files in the folder C:\Users\<name>\AppData\Local\Temp\. but I did not find any of my recordings. Where is my mistake?

Many thanks for any hint.

Wolfgang

Last edited by Wolfgang58; 02/13/16 12:57 AM.
RealBand
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
This is a commonly occurring problem with real band,
it has been asked to to have real band default to save as SEQ on every save,
but it has not been implemented.
Band in a box only has one audio track so when it asked what audio track to save this is what it does, where save as SEQ with save all the tracks.
Did you look in the backup folder in the real band folder c:\realband\RBBackup, if it is there as a *.bks go to file - open special - open backup file

RealBand
W
OP Offline
W
Thank you for that information!

I am used to work with ProTools and so I expected that every recorded file I committed to be saved is stored somewhere on the disk - in separate, but not within that session file.

So with Realband I need to know, that all the recorded audio is gone, when the session file is lost, and if saved in BIAB-file-format. Is this correct?

Can anyone provide a hint, where I can read about the file concept of BIAB and RealBand?

Again many thanks for your help, even if it did not help to recover my recordings.

Kind regards,

Wolfgang

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Basically BiaB format (sgu and mgu) only save one audio track as a wav file with the same name as the sgu file in the same folder.

RB native format (SEQ) saves all tracks as one file with seq extension.
Whenever you save a SEQ file, RB will create a backup of the previous version in your RBBackup folder. These files can be opened using File- Open Backup (or open special, depending on the version) as mentioned above.
You can often recover some disk space by cleaning up the RBBackup folder.

SEQ files do not save the individual tracks; they are all woven together to stream smoother. When opened they are available as individual tracks and can be exported as individual wav or MIDI, but when saved as a SEQ file you will not find any individual tracks anywhere on your disk. They are all one file.

For the difference between sgu and mgu see #37 here -
http://www.pgmusic.com/techfaq37.htm

Hope that helps.
Many of us have been asking for RB to at least give a warning if SGU is chosen as the Save format so we know work may be lost.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rharv

For the difference between sgu and mgu see #37 here -
http://www.pgmusic.com/techfaq37.htm

Rharv

is this reference right (for the .SGU vice .MGU)?

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
It's a PGMusic reference, I can't vouch for it other than that ..

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
BIAB file types.

BIAB has two basic file types:

1. A song file
2. A song file with a melody (or solo)

Song files have the default extension .SGU. These are songs that only use the basic accompaniment tracks (that is, they do not use the melody or soloist track). Once you put anything on the melody track and/or the soloist track, BIAB will now save the file with a default .MGU extension. It doesn't mean that the melody track necessarily has a "melody" on it, I just means that some data is contained on the melody track.

There is a special version of the of the MGU file called an MGX file. This is where you have imported a MIDI file into BIAB (and remember, BIAB imports all of the MIDI file directly to the Melody track and sets it as a multi-channel track). But the "X" indicates that the style loaded with the file is muted (or disabled). This ensures that only the MIDI file is played and there are no channel conflicts between the channels used in the MIDI file and the channels used by the other BIAB accompaniment tracks. You can turn the style back on, but there are potential channel conflicts when you do.

You may also see SGU and MGU files that end in something other than a "U". These go back to the early days of BIAB where the original build-in styles (also known as the ZZ styles) were each assigned either a number (1-9) or a letter. That way, you may have a file called myfile.sg1 or myfile.mg1. That just indicates that the file was saved using the ZZJazz style (if memory serves correctly).

Once they created more styles than they had numbers and letters, they switched to using the "U" convention for the final letter. This stood for "User" and there is an option to convert all the numbered/lettered songs to SGU or MGU.

All that being said, when you are using RealBand, the native format is the SEQ file. That format allows you to save everything RealBand can do, so it totally preserves your session.

However, if you instead save as an MGU or SGU file, it is going to strip out anything that isn't normally part of an MGU or SGU file (so basically, you just end up with a chord progression, an associated style, maybe - can't remember - a melody and/or soloist track, and lyrics). You won't get any audio you recorded, nor will you get any MIDI specific tracks you created.

Likewise, if you save as a MIDI file, you are only going to get the MIDI data found on tracks. You will not get any audio tracks, nor will you get any information regarding softsynths used or any effects used. Just a plain vanilla MIDI file.

If you save as a WAV file, you will just get a WAV file. You will lose all your individual tracks and any effects assigned to them.

That's why it is so important to save RealBand files as SEQ files. That ensures you keep all your work. Once saved as a SEQ, you can then create any of the other file types mentioned, but the SEQ file is needed to make sure you don't lose anything. That's why a lot of folks are asking that this be the default way to save, so you don't accidentally lose anything if you didn't know that.

Sorry for the long post, but hopefully it helped.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,590
Posts734,779
Members38,501
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
mandella, Krystal Mcclain, Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365
38,501 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 189