Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#349821 05/14/16 08:38 AM
RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Anybody else having Real Band shut down when you stop playback? I just worked for an hour and had to restart Real Band 11 times. About 80% of the time I stopped playback it crashed. Then I had to restart and click through that annoying "reset to default" message (which I NEVER do. I should not have to. Same interface, same everything. Why reset it just to have to set it again?) This got so annoying I just quit and went downstairs. I come up here to work, not be frustrated. I put it in the testers forum as well but I don't know that anybody reads that once the release happens.

Very disappointed in 2016 so far.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
eddie1261 #349824 05/14/16 08:53 AM
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Eddie,
just shooting spitballs here, but if/when something like this happens I immediately suspect a new plugin, or one I haven't used in the latest version yet ..

Stopping playback should be a simple task (unless a buffer is not behaving or a message is not received).
For Example:
I like FreeAmp for guitar sometimes, but *which version* works on a given system or set up (version) has caused issues .. to mention one example.
Just a thought

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
eddie1261 #349827 05/14/16 09:16 AM
RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I don't use plugins at all, harv, because when I take the stuff to the guy who engineers and masters it, he wants clean tracks and HE adds his plugins. I don't us PG supplied EQs, reverbs... none of it. All that I have done to this new copy of 2016 is install it and update it when updates come out, the last of which does not complete, failing on bbw2.exe, which has been reported as well. This is the same computer that has run RB fine for the last 7 years since I built it. Nothing has been changed on the computer at all over the last 4 years, at which time I just added RAM and a second 2TB hard drive, but nothing to do with operation, data bus, etc.... You and I are at the same level computer-wise, so you know my computer will never be an issue. Not ONE other program gives me grief, including Samplitude and Sonar, which also eliminates my Focusrite as an issue, since i use it with those programs and as the default sound device for streaming. It is really annoying that when I decide to spend a day up there working it ends up being so frustrating that I quit after an hour rather than allow my blood pressure to go up because I feel like I spent $300 for something that doesn't work like it is supposed to. The support system has gone downhill at an exponential rate as PG has grown, too. Too many customers now to get the more personalized support we used to get. Now I get a cut and pasted reply telling me to reinstall, to check this and check that... No, PG, remote in and fix your software.

2. Send it to us.
eddie1261 #349860 05/14/16 12:28 PM
RealBand
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Does it crash using MME or onboard audio ?

Focusrite Scarlett interface
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=342115#Post342115

Pipeline #349883 05/14/16 02:55 PM
RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I use ASIO, as I always have. And while it sounds like I take too hard a line on this I should not have to change anything to make software work. I used ASIO with my interface with 2015 and there is no reason that ASIO shouldn't work with 2016. Even if it works with MME or onboard audio (I am not going to try because it's moot), MME or onboard audio is not how I work so it doesn't matter.

I am really not just being ornery about this. I simply shouldn't have to change anything that has worked for years to make newer software work. They need to fix the problem. That is part of my $300 purchase.

2. Send it to us.
eddie1261 #349889 05/14/16 03:35 PM
RealBand
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
I'm not trying to force you to use MME instead of ASIO forever, if it works with MME then you will know that it is a problem with the asio Focusrite driver, then in the beta forum you can tell them this if it is the case, giving them something to look at.

eddie1261 #350197 05/16/16 03:55 PM
RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Okay so here is some more to ponder. Loaded a song. Hit space to start the transport. All good. Hit space to stop the transport. Moved the cursor back. Hit space to start the transport. Listened to the section again. Hit space to stop the transport. All good. Moved it back again. Made a chord change. Regenerated that measure. Hit space to start the transport. Listened. Hit space to stop the transport. All good. Moved it back to listen again. Hit space to start the transport. Listened. Hit space to stop the transport. CRASH.

Really irritated because I had not saved the song after regenerating because I wanted to listen to it a few times. On a lark, I hit SAVE, and with that "encountered error and will shut down" box present, the song saved.

WTH is going on with this software? Now it isn't even crashing right.

And as to the ASIO vs MME, if it crashes with ASIO but not with MME, that would not indicate anything wrong with the ASIO driver or it would NEVER play with ASIO. Drivers don't go back and forth deciding if they are clean or corrupted. If it works once, it should work every time, right? Not 4 times in a row and then not on the 5th. I was in IT too long to think drivers can think and make decisions about which time they will fail. Like a byte can only be either a 1 or 0, a driver is good or bad, not maybe.

Last edited by eddie1261; 05/16/16 03:58 PM.

2. Send it to us.
eddie1261 #350201 05/16/16 04:15 PM
RealBand
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
" if it crashes with ASIO but not with MME" good now they can look at how real band talks to that Focusrite sound card and find the bug.
Have you tried to reset to default or just skipped it (like I do when I'm p..... off)

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=340511#Post340511

Pipeline #350217 05/16/16 05:18 PM
RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
No. I'll never reset because what good does it do to reset and then immediately put it back like where it was before I reset it? The day I have to "reset" Microsoft Word or Excel, I'll reset Real Band.

Look, my view is that software is like cutting cookies out of dough. Every copy of that cookie is the same when it is cut from the same cutter. That's how software is supposed to be. There isn't Real Band for Eddie and Real Band for Pipeline and Real Band for rharv. They make a master and then copy it as many times as they need to. Possibly they burn those hard drives as orders come in. I don't know their duplication practices. However it is, If 10 people use it and 5 of those people have an issue, all DIFFERENT issues, then the software is buggy and needs to be patched, or not released until the bugs are fixed. (Remember Windows ME?)

My computer is not infected with a virus. Defragging a drive does noting for program execution. It only aids is SLIGHTLY (milliseconds) loading times. "Check your driver" is a silly buzzword. How do you "check" a driver? You can check for a newer version of a driver, but you can't "check your drivers". And as I said, if it was a driver issue, it would be a problem EVERY TIME, not one out of 5 or one out of 7 times. That computer does not live on the internet. I turn the NIC on and off when I need to email or check for something online. I use zero plugins, as my engineer wants pristine tracks. I am not thumping my chest when I talk about how many years I have been involved with computers (35), repairing them, upgrading them (which included driver testing so new versions worked with old hardware and software) and programming lower level routines when there was nothing to do what I wanted my computer to do. Most people who use the buzzwords about drivers can't even really explain what a driver is, just that they know to "check" them.

Think of it this way. If you go to print a page and it prints, then you go to print the next page and it prints, and you do that until the 9th page fails, and then 11 more print fine before another fail, would you say it is a driver problem? How would you explain 8 and then 11 successes with those intermittent fails in there? To apply that to this issue, I have been using ASIO drivers since the day I got that interface, like 3 years ago. My M-Audio did not like ASIO. My Focusrite does. For 3 years, until I got this 2016 version. Now I crash every 5th or 6th time I stop the transport. Ridiculous.

I know I can come off as arrogant or haughty. I am neither. I just expect software that costs me the same amount as a car payment to work. Every time. PG Support has slipped lately as they have become more popular and have apparently not added bodies. Email used to be answered in a day. Now they take a week. That doesn't sound like much, but to me that means one week that I can't use my $300 software. I don't think they read the forums anymore. They used to. I truly hope they don't reach the level of customer apathy that Micro$oft has. Again tonight, I spent an hour in my studio and had to restart 9 times. Last week it was 11 in an hour. Know the acceptable number of restarts? Zero. It is easy to say "It's your computer." Is it? Sonar and Samplitude, both using the same Focusrite interface, run flawlessly and always have. Same interface, same drivers. The problem is somewhere in Real Band. I have posted this stuff in the beta reporting forum but nothing has been done, and I don't knwo if anybody official has even read that forum.

2. Send it to us.
eddie1261 #350221 05/16/16 05:40 PM
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: eddie1261

WTH is going on with this software? Now it isn't even crashing right.

Yep, that's a problem. I also can't software that doesn't crash the right way... crazy

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
eddie1261 #350223 05/16/16 05:42 PM
RealBand
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Hey you are not telling me anything I don't already know believe me, but if you are stuck on the side of the road I would not wait for pg to come and rescue you, I would try the reset the same as you tried MME and found it worked.

If you want a RealBand in a Box that works go here and add a +1
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=327412

eddie1261 #350225 05/16/16 06:22 PM
RealBand
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Some non-asio things I've come across that bedazzles RB.

It does not always play well when the tempo map has a high quantity of changes. For example, I get a message telling me my tempo map has more than 35 changes and creating harmonies may not function. It doesn't. BBW.exe hangs up, no harmonies are created and the program locks. Many similar lock up occurs if I have BIAB and RB open at the same time. I have to be sure to only run RB if BIAB is closed. If I open RB while BIAB is running, realize it and turn off BIAB, Something in the background remains open and I will continue to have issues within RB unless I restart my computer.

I have had issues when opening a RB project with audio that comes from the Audio Chord Wizard. in RB, I've found a work around to use the new tempo tap feature, then run that audio through the ACW or for best results, Do the ACW work in BIAB.

RB does not always open BIAB sgu files properly. Tracks are misnamed or omitted entirely.

Prior to the latest update, build 6, I encountered erratic cursor action and lockup on occasion if I entered automation node changes using my mouse and the Rt click menus. I had to drag changes and not use edit. There were changes to automation with the latest update and I have not used the Rt click menu to see if that was corrected by the last update.

Don't know if any of my issues are similar to what you are facing but thought I would list a few in case you do have BIAB open while working on a RB project or use audio from the ACW or edit with the mouse menu. If you are, then if you need to open BIAB while working on an RB project, close and save RB, Open BIAB and then reopen RB after BIAB has closed.

I don't know if these issues are peculiar to me and my particular computer and it's set up because I have not posted any questions here on the forum or contacted support. I simply try to remain aware of these issues the best I can and working within only one program at a time. Most times I'm able to avoid frustrations although I got pretty peeved today because I can't create harmonies on a project that I really want to generate harmonies. I will have to change the tempo map which in turn, I'll have to adjust the recorded vocals. Not sure yet, how I'm going to proceed.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
eddie1261 #350228 05/16/16 07:11 PM
RealBand
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Eddie, you are not alone! I use RealBand as little as possible because I generally find it to be somewhat clunky and even a little unstable. But I can say BIAB has been crashing more since I upgraded to 2016. Not a lot more but a noticeable amount more.

But I just don't know any more how upset to get! laugh I mean, when these tools work (and for me that is by far most of the time) they are absolutely amazing! Of course when they crash it feels like back in the "good old days" of DOS and early Windows!

I have resigned myself to using as little of the features in these programs as I need in order to get the awesome tracks out! I never try to do any mixing and leave most everything dry. I just try and get the basic tracks I need and then export them out to my DAW.

My advice would be to let it reset knowing it is only a temporary fix and you'll still be able to move forward and create your music! Save early and often! And keep reporting the crash because I am sure they are trying to fix everything as quickly as possible.

Last edited by JohnJohnJohn; 05/16/16 07:12 PM.
eddie1261 #350273 05/17/16 04:31 AM
RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
All of the above was read with careful appreciation for the shared frustration we are all feeling. It has to be equally frustrating for the guys who are writing the code that is not working with any consistency.

We, as users, need to step back for a second and remove the "music-ness" from this software and remember that this is a computer program. A computer program is a set of instructions to make your computer output some desired result. The given here is that this is a very complex program in that it is calling up a set of sampled sounds and creating output based on variables like scale and tempo, but it is the basic functions that are giving me issues, not the complex. My main issue is crashing when I stop the transport. That is as basic as how my dog is trained. When I say "sit", that means "sit" every time. It doesn't mean sit 4 times and then "go away" the 5th time. Thus, When I can stop the transport X number of times successfully and then on the Y attempt it crashes, that is a software problem and nothing to do with my computer. Remember, your synthesizer, your coffee pot, your alarm clock... they are all computers with an operating system (a program) embedded into them to make them do their function. A synthesizer is a computer configured to synthesize sound using wave forms, envelopes and amplifiers. Your Keurig is a computer programmed to power on at 7am and heat water that will release through your K-Cup when it reaches a designated temperature. Your alarm clock is a computer that is programmed to turn on the radio and sound an alarm at the time you programmed it to do so. Following my train of thought? A specific set of instructions MUST always react the way it is told to react. Turn the byte on when you see a 1, turn it off when you see a 0.

IMHO, PG is trying to do too much with their software, and it is adding too many variables and getting out of their control.

Now specifically to Charlie, you do VERY complex stuff in your songs. I say that having listened to many of them. I have had PG software for 8 years. I have never used BIAB, only RB. I have never used that ACW thing you spoke of (I have no need to. I can tell you what chords are being played in a song just by listening.) I have never put in a style change in a song. I have never put a tempo change into a song. I have never used the vocal harmonizer. I enter chords into the grid, I pick my style, I generate, and that's it. After that it's just manually layering parts to sweeten the generated tracks, and singing. If this was ice cream, I would be vanilla to your Neapolitan. And if I am having this much trouble with vanilla, I can only imagine what you are running into with Neapolitan. The higher you build the building, the more you need to be concerned with the structure of the foundation.

Last edited by eddie1261; 05/17/16 04:33 AM.

2. Send it to us.
eddie1261 #350369 05/17/16 12:49 PM
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Frustrating for you Eddie.

I would just use RB to generate as many tracks as you need, maybe first doing the skeleton in biab, open in RB generate all the realtracks you need, render to .WAV and get the hell out of there to a DAW that does work for you.

Cubase elements or Reaper are the business, personally I use Cubase myself. Not too difficult to get a handle on the basic stuff.

This is going to drive you mad should you continue with RB.

Musiclover

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
eddie1261 #350408 05/17/16 04:43 PM
RealBand
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
"IMHO, PG is trying to do too much with their software, and it is adding too many variables and getting out of their control."

The old Delphi camel's back is starting to break, that's why this was posted:
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=327412

eddie1261 #350443 05/18/16 01:38 AM
RealBand
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
>>> "Now specifically to Charlie" <<<

Thanks for your kind comments Eddie and I appreciate that you take the time to listen to my songs. That's very gratifying.

The ACW is my favorite actual 'tool' in the BIAB/RB suite of tools. Other tools such as the multiriff are more helpful with workflow whereas the ACW is valuable to me for more than generating the chord chart. I find it very helpful in dissecting and song analysis and run a ton of user forum posts, YouTube and Facebook songs through it breaking songs into sections and seeing how artists develop their work, what works and what doesn't. For me, the ACW is as much fun as it is helpful.

My recording background is that I've had some form of home recording studio continuously since 1968. I am comfortable with the limited track count of BIAB and most of what can be considered complex in my work is done in BIAB by applying techniques I've used for years using analog 2, 4 or 8 track gear. Nobody sees the need to bounce tracks anymore when they have 48 to unlimited tracks available to use. Although not technically bouncing tracks, the end result of bouncing, ie: multiple instruments merged onto a single track is easily achieved in BIAB. BIAB has a very old school feel about it that I like. RB on the other hand, is valuable when starting a project with recorded material that I want to add additional tracks to it.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,605
Posts735,009
Members38,513
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Juan Jose, BroDon, Xtian, michael07716, Ronsei
38,512 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 186