Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Ryszard Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Funny story--I was trying to use either Windows' "Remote Assistance" or "Remote Desktop" in order to work on my father's PC, which is in Virginia. Couldn't get either going, even after two chat sessions with Support, one including an hour-long ordeal with my increasingly impatient 80-year-old father on the phone as I typed furiously away.

After getting nowhere, MS Support set up a phone consult with my father directly. He lasted about 15 minutes with the East Indian tech. The upshot was that the Microsoft representative pointed us toward TeamViewer 4, a kostfrei German app which can be used for support, presentations, file transfer, and VPN. I don't know of anything which "Go To My PC" or Symantec's pricey equivalent--of which you need a copy for each machine--will do that this app won't.

Once installed I was able to do five hours of much-needed work on my Dad's machine from my studio in Atlanta. Now I use TeamViewer to operate two Internet machines from my DAW in order to do downloads and file transfers which would otherwise require 'armor'--firewall and AV software--on the DAW itself. I can also access files from my girlfriend's PC, or vice versa. It works both ways.

It is password-protected and various levels of access can be set. You can switch control back and forth between ends.

I am not aware of a size limit in the file transfer utility, which frees me from the 10 Mb max imposed by Hotmail and other free mail clients, or the 50-Mb limit of Microsoft Live Skydrive.

FYI, y'all,

R.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
My Dad's 83 and he calls me at least once a week with some cryptic crazy problem he can't explain and I'm left guessing at and grasping straws. I'll have to check that out. Not going to put it on my girlfriends computer though, the wife would want to meet her and talk about decorating and watch makeover shows together. That would make the wife, girlfriend, and daughter all trying to take my chair/tv over and I'd have to find a real girlfriend with a pickup and boat so she can take me phissin'.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I downloaded the files. I'll give it a try this weekend with my dad in Florida. Thanks for the link. Crossloop ( http://www.crossloop.com/ipage.htm?id=predownload ) is another free product.

Kevin

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
There has been trouble with hackers creating undesirable doorways by exploiting parts of the remote console, Updates are not always able to keep up at the moment, that might have something to do with it...

--Mac

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Ryszard: Did you have problems matching Win OSs (ie 2k and Vista) at either end??

Ian
My "Original Tunes" Site
My gene pool needs more chlorine.
Off-Topic
Ryszard Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
All three machines I have used it on were running XP Pro. I was going to try it on a system with 98 SE but it was taken out in a lightning storm Thursday evening.

I just looked, can't find their FAQ, but as I recall they claim it will run on 98 through Vista, Mac OS, and work cross-platform between Mac and PC. I expect no issues when I try it on any of the OSes I have--98 and 2k when I get them back, and XP Pro.

I'll see if my roomie will let me try it on his Win2K laptop and let you know.

R.

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
THanks for the information, Rys.

Looks like there is quite a substantial choice out there of this type of tool...

http://download.cnet.com/windows/remote-...wnloadCount+asc

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

IMO just asking for trouble.

A BIG +1

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Ryszard Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

IMO just asking for trouble.

ST--ain't you just been the little ray of sunshine lately.

When I have a problem I'll let you know. In the meantime, all y'all GO TO THEIR FREAKIN SITE AND SEE THE LIST OF CORPORATE USERS. Looks like a global Fortune 1000.

Remember, this was recommended to me BY MICROSOFT when their own Remote functions could not be made to work.

R.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I'm putting it on my 83 year old father's vista machine. He lives here but it's spring and they are starting road repairs to stimulate the economy and my blood pressure. The drive to my Dad's house is 40 minutes on a good day, and cost of gas there and back to say, 'oh click here', is outta sight.

The other day while dusting Mom hit the standby button on the cable modem, which is right on top. Took me 30 minutes by phone to figure out what was wrong. He lead me to believe he turned on the computer and it was working fine, then just locked up. We rebooted twice, tried 2 browsers, heck just explaining I wanted to start firefox required him to put in new hearing aid batteries and find his magnifying glass, while | was on hold.

When I worked in government the IT department had that software on every one of the 1200 computers on the network.

I think they put it on just after the support guy got arrested when he came to set up my new computer/podium/projector. We were just going outside for a break, I was teaching cops who were being assigned to CID for 6 months arson investigation basics, so there were 12 cops, we went out for a smoke and the support guy is leaning with his back to us rolling and then smoking a joint. They dumped his bag of weed down the drain, put him in cuffs for an hour, made him fix the computer, and gave him a 100 dollar ticket. I think they forgot to sign it on purpose though.

What we need is that software on newbies computers and they pay Mac $50 via paypal to solve their problems....

I'd like to invite you to a fish dinner....

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
If I tick you off that easily I'll refrain from posting to any of your inquires/comments.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
You are all pretty, now clean your rooms!

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Nice edit st.

Play moonglow at 50 bpm for an hour. That's chillin'

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
As skeptical as I am about security of the product it does sound like it would be a God send. I've read everything I can about it and it sounds like it's secure. I don't know anything about security but I guess the weak link would be the company? Can any of you security experts comment? Lawrie?

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Hmm, I wasn't going to comment but having been asked...
Something disturbs me:

From the website:
Quote:

Remote access to PCs and servers via Internet
Instantly take control over a computer anywhere on the Internet, even through firewalls. No installation required, just use it fast and secure.

"even through firewalls." This means to me that both machines must make an outgoing connection to a third party server which in turn "connects" the sessions. If correct then I have a problem with this. It means my data is potentially being logged by a third party. My PASSWORDS and other login details are potentially being logged by a third party. I "do" IT for a living, remote support for my customers is vital - for this I use VPN connections directly to their networks and then remote control from within their network. There is NO WAY I would use any service of this nature for a commercial connection.

Now, I am in no way accusing anyone, but simple prudence suggests one shouldn't trust ANYONE that one hasn't established an appropriate relationship with (and a third party over the net with NO personal connection cannot fit that category). Add to that, large organistions have greater opportunity for employee disaffection or corruption. Now, before I get jumped on with the reminder that the vast majority of data loss is an "inside job", the potential I am suggesting does, in fact, fit that category. The insider is simply working for a "trusted" supplier.

I have the same kind of objections to "Software as a Service" and "Cloud Computing". My data is MINE - no one else has any rights to it. It is hard enough maintaining confidentiality in this current world without making data and identity theft even easier by using services that can log or even store it online for you. All the confidentiality agreements in the world are no good once the information has been stolen and sold.

Having said all the above, the reality is that it is impossible to absolutely guarantee data privacy. Even with the VPNs I use, the potential exists for data capture and later encryption breaking. The only truly safe computer is the one that's in several pieces, each of which is stored in its own locked, dark place with no access to any form of communication link or power, EVER. It'd be useless, but it would be secure, maybe... Remember, "You're only paranoid if you're wrong".

Now, I'm not saying "Don't use this service" but rather do a risk analysis - if the advantage outweighs the risk then go for it. But don't do it blindly.

Hmm, /rant

--=-- My credo: If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing - just ask my missus, she'll tell ya laugh --=--
You're only paranoid if you're wrong!
Off-Topic
Ryszard Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I feel an obligation to see that any suggestion I make is useful, practical and safe. While I cannot begin to respond at Lawrie's technical level, I believe I did due diligence at my level of competence. I work on PCs at an A+/Net+ tech level. I have TeamViewer installed on my Internet machine and, relationship warranting, urge my customers to install it in order to allow me remote access for further service. So far everyone has.

I know that in order to work, any such application must open a port, potentially exposing the system and its user to intrusion or worse. However, given what TeamViewer has to say about security and their corporate references, I simply cannot believe that TeamViewer does this in an unsafe way.

I trust it enough to use it on my DAW; firewalled, but not otherwise protected, although ALL the machines I link to from there are virus protected and firewalled to my satisfaction. If I ever see credible reports that it is unsafe, I will be the first to let you know.

Richard

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Lookin' for airtight guarantees?

ANY lock can be picked by somebody, somewhere...

--Mac

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
G'day Richard,
umm, it wasn't my intention to ruffle feathers mate. It's just that security is important to me and too often I see customers with corrupted systems or lost data etc. simply because they weren't cautious enough.

All I'm really saying is to do sufficient risk analysis...

Mac,
thought I said that - 2nd last paragraph of my previous message... Nevertheless it's a good enough point to remind people of again.

--=-- My credo: If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing - just ask my missus, she'll tell ya laugh --=--
You're only paranoid if you're wrong!
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Good thing the only stuff on my and my father's computer anyone could steal would be pictures and emails. I don't store banking stuff. And once my on line taxes are done I archive that off the machine onto a detachable hard drive.

Just plug it in for 10 minutes next year, plug in the 3 numbers and voila, taxes done.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,628
Posts735,227
Members38,522
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
SYOTR, Steve Smith, Bpnsrinu, DanyLevy, Arnav Singh
38,522 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185