Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#160749 05/25/12 08:30 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
“Give Me The Banjo”

I just caught this show on PBS and I thought I’d give you guys a heads up in case you get a chance to watch it.

It’s a look into American music history and narrated by Steve Martin. It’s especially poignant for me because I grew up and still live in the area that is the birthplace of this music.

I hope you get a chance to watch it.

Edit: Here is the link for the full video:

http://video.pbs.org/video/2164506461

Last edited by bobcflatpicker; 05/26/12 12:13 PM.
Off-Topic
J
Apprentice
Apprentice
J
Steve Martin is a pretty well studied musician. After having watched him be a goofball in all those movies I was taken aback at his skill.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Here is the link for the full video:

http://video.pbs.org/video/2164506461

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Wow, Bob! I just watched the PBS video and was totally blown away. You certainly live in a musical part of the world. I would love to have you take me to meet the rural people of WV.

Q: Early in the program it said the banjo was an "African instrument" then, later, they said it was an "American instrument." Which is it?

Also, I know "hammer-ons" and "pull-offs" date back perhaps hundreds of years but I have never credited Pete Seeger with originating those terms. What had they been called prior to his book?

Anyway, thank you sincerely for giving me a fabulous, musical morning.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Don,

I thought of you when I was watching this. I knew it would be right up your alley.

Quote:

Q: Early in the program it said the banjo was an "African instrument" then, later, they said it was an "American instrument." Which is it?

From http://www.ehow.com/about_4884892_what-origin-banjo.html

“Wrongly believed by many to be an American instrument, the banjo dates back centuries with its earliest origins found in the Middle East and Africa. While it slowly evolved for centuries, it was not until enslaved Africans brought the banjo to the American colonies that it received its significant gain in popularity.”

End quote.

I think it would be safe to say that the latest stage in the evolution of the banjo into a “modern” instrument happened in America, but I’m not an expert on it. I did find the documentary fascinating.

Quote:

I know "hammer-ons" and "pull-offs" date back perhaps hundreds of years but I have never credited Pete Seeger with originating those terms. What had they been called prior to his book?

When Pete said that, it was news to me. Dunno what those techniques were called before.

I’m glad you enjoyed it Don.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
regarding the origins of the banjo:

Here's a link to a YouTube series called "THROW DOWN YOUR HEART", about Bela Fleck's trip to Africa. In the first of the series he states that the banjo's origin was Africa, and there is a clip of such an instrument being played.

Other clips show a variety of instruments used on the continent.

Interesting viewing if you have about an hour to watch all the clips. Each clip is about 5 minutes, and the very first one shows the banjo's predecessor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDCxaQhhL0A

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Pat,

I watched several clips when you posted it before.

Here's the whole 1 hour 37 min on Hulu.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/292375/bela-fleck-throw-down-your-heart

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Way koo'!

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
In America before the so-called Civil War, it was forbidden for slaves to own or use drums, because of the fear involved when it was discovered that the African Drum (some of them) could be used for communication.

The Banjo is basically a drum, with a head, but has strings stretched over the head of the drum, using a bridge to transfer the string energy to the head of the drum.

Thus the Banjo became a sort of workaround to a problem.

If you think about it, something mentioned in the NPR presentation is not quite true: The Banjo as we know it is the *only* truly native American instrument.
Well, the roots of the Banjo are indeed found on the African continent.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

America before the so-called Civil War <snip>

"CIVIL" WAR is a bit of an oxymoron, isn't it?

Good point, Mac...I never thought of it that way before

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Quote:

The Banjo as we know it is the *only* truly native American instrument.

The Dobro (square-neck resonator guitar) is just as American. It evolved from the guitar in the early 20th Century, but it is an entirely different animal.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Dobro is a combination of what two abbreviated words? If'in yas gotta look it up, it's cheating! I expect Mac and Bob flatpicker to know the answer. If I remember correctly, it was invented in 1929.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Funny thing is we used to have a duo here that did a LOT of comedy in their act. They were guitar and dobro, but sadly the dobro player passed away. He was a GREAT guy.

They called themselves "The D'oh Bros".

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Quote:

Dobro is a combination of what two abbreviated words?

Actually a name and a word: Dopyera Brothers

((what did I win?))

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
You win a big round of applause! Take a bow. Did you cheat? You even spelt it koreck!

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Quote:

You win a big round of applause! Take a bow. Did you cheat? You even spelt it koreck!

No cheating here but I am having one built for me by Tom Warner.

So it has been recently researched. It should be ready any day now.

Off-Topic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I believe the folks from Virginia and other southern states refer to it as "The War of Northern Aggression," not The Civil War. Just something I've heard...

Anyway, to quote a great American philosopher Edwin Starr: WAR! What is it good for...absolutely nothing...say it again!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Anyway, to quote a great American philosopher Edwin Starr:

"I am SO glad my family moved to Cleveland Ohio so I could be raised in a great music city!!!"

I THINK that was the quote.....

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks for posting the link, I watched the entire show last night and truly enjoyed it.

In fact this entire tread has been very educational.

Later,

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,550
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199