Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#245287 03/25/14 06:33 AM
Off-Topic
olemon Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I'm not asking anyone to reveal their top money-making secrets, but aside from live gigs, is it mostly a hobby for you? In other words, a negative cash-flow endeavor?

(Recently I've been thinking about Taxi...again. Perhaps I should search or start another thread on that though.)

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Music was a money-making avocation for me. While I was working at a full time job I made extra money teaching and playing in a wedding band. Now that I am retired from both working and playing out my teaching money is my blow money for software. So music has always been a very enjoyable way to make money, thus it has been a positive cash-flow.

Taxi is the site to join if you want honest constructive criticism from pro musicians. If you have thin-skin stay away as they are brutally honest. They assume that you want to sound like the pros and they treat your music as such so don’t get either too attached to your song or go on the defensive with them. They know what they are doing. This opinion is not based on my experiences but one from a good friend who joined taxi.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
How to Make a Million Dollars in Music Performance

• Start With Two Million Dollars
  • When You Get To One Million Dollars, Stop.

grin

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: MarioD
If you have thin-skin stay away as they are brutally honest.

I'll chime in....IMO.

The above cannot be underscored enough.
As I've referenced in the past on this subject one must have the skin of a snow tire.
That, I do have AND brutally honest is what I would expect if I were going the TAXI (or anything similar) route.

Just because I've spent a lot of time writing something and have become emotionally attached to it does not mean it has any appeal to the masses or is any good at all.

I've been doing this a long time as with many here.
Personally, I have no illusions about my song writing catering to the mass appeal market.
After many years in bands music/song writing is only creative therapy for me and an opportunity to interact with other of similar interest. (this forum inclusive smile )

If anyone beyond my own orbit (especially musicians and song writers) actually comments or says something favorably about my work....that's gratifying enough for this old bird.

In terminating this novelette I'll wish ALL here the best on their music path.

Carry on...

EDIT: I think Mac provided the correct answer.

Last edited by chulaivet1966; 03/25/14 10:34 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Outside of playing live, the best way to make money in music is to start a website promising people “access”. “advice” or “professional services” like “radio-ready demos”. This does not require any industry knowledge, contacts or expertise.

Hey, it's the internet. You can be anything you want to be. grin

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
Hey, it's the internet. You can be anything you want to be. grin

...in the hopes that others will believe you.

Shvtfire...the other day I actually heard someone was wrong on the internet. smile

Back to topic....

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Scott,

You have a PM.

later,

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Danny C.
Scott,

You have a PM.

later,

Sure Danny. Now you're gonna give away all the secrets to making money in music. grin

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Scott,

You have a PM.

later,

Sure Danny. Now you're gonna give away all the secrets to making money in music. grin

Shhhhhhhh, now everyone's going to want to know. :>

Later,

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Scott. Check out www.broadjam.com as an alternative to taxi. I haven't had anything selected but have had a few things short listed.

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Try looking these guys up. They're from the Musicians Union.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The best way to make money in this business as a songwriter is to play live and sell your CD's at the gig. Get a following locally and build it into a wider audience with social media..... set up a web site for the band/music and sell there too.

It's not a very easy thing to do because, essentially, you are setting up a business.

As far as making money with your music as a songwriter and NOT playing live.....

You have to be writing what the people, the music supervisors, and the A&R folks want to hear. You can be writing the most amazing songs and getting all sorts of atta-boys from your friends but if the folks who really matter in the commercial end of this are not interested or impressed, that's as far as it will go.

TAXI, BROADJAM, NSAI, FILM MUSIC JOB WIRE, and others including direct submissions to libraries and publishers. They each have their upside and downside. Here's what I know about the ones I have worked with.

I have been a member of 2 of those listed above at one or more times in the past. (Taxi & NSAI) Currently, I'm not affiliated with any. With any of these, you should be able to handle the word "NO" a lot. If not, don't join.

Taxi says the average forward vs return is about 10% forwards...and that was slightly below the rate I was getting. My biggest gripe with them is that the screeners have opinions and are sometimes wrong. I sent 3 songs for a listing. One was forwarded, the other 2 returned. The library president for that listing contacted me and we spoke by phone. He asked for more music along the same line as the one he heard. I sent him the 2 returns and some additional. It was all signed by him.

In LA, I met some of the "Taxi Stars"... the guys and girls who are supposedly making 6 figure incomes doing this. The one guy had his PRO statement as proof. Several others in that conversation were mid 5 figures and growing. So it is possible, if you have the right kind of music and the chops needed to write and record it. Taxi has the connections. The entry price is a bit steep for many folks and the forums for critique can be tough.

The screeners are tough. If a song is called for being indie upbeat with female vocals..... don't submit an indie female vocal slow tune. The targeting has to be dead on or it is a return. One song I submitted for a low budget film ending was deemed to be too "rock ballad style" as opposed to indie feeling even though the lyrics were, as the screener admitted, a dead on perfect fit for the topic they asked for.... returned.

NSAI> Nashville Songwriters Association International..... I've been a member here too. They are more about writing the songs and offering critiques to improve your writing chops. As member, you get 12 in-depth reviews of your songs during your membership term. It was, by using these reviews that I worked with the writers in NSAI to get Come & Go, as well as The Best Christmas into the shape they are currently. NSAI is not, per-se, a place to pitch music and get t to the artists. However, if a song, submitted for review, is deemed to be excellent in every aspect, in other words, "ready to pitch" they will place it into the monthly Pitch to Publisher Luncheon for you. They claim some publishers have picked songs from that group and the songs went on to be top 10 billboard hits. The Best Christmas did get the thumbs up and was placed into the running for a spot on a christmas CD that gets distributed to the publishers..... problem was, that year, they had canceled the CD to publishers.

Film Music Jobwire..... this one is a membership based group, just like the rest, but it's also possible to submit to their listings without being a member for the cost of $6/song. Last year, I sent one song in to FMJ and the library which posted the listing called me the very next day wanting more. I submitted 41 cues total to this library for that listing. It was for a major A&E reality show's new season. I checked my BMI account and all 41 cues are listed in my account. Whether they get used or were used is still to be seen. Often the first the writer hears about it is by the PRO quarterly statement months after the show has aired.

Taxi has a ton of listings, and a high membership cost plus a $5 per song fee.
NSAI has a medium membership cost but no real listings and 12 free song reviews.
FMJ has a smaller number of job listings, a membership fee, and a low per song fee of $6.

That's a nutshell on my experience with the 3 groups I have been associated with. I got results in the form of songs forwarded to the movers and shakers, had a bunch of things signed, and well..... still waiting for that PRO statement to come in.

Another course of action is to seek out the independent publishers who are on line. Some are good and some are a total waste of time. These folks may or may not work through the listing services. My thought is that they have a list of clientele who contact them for music. I have music submitted to a number of these folks and quite a bit of it is signed into their libraries waiting for the right music supervisor to hear it and use it.

Much of the music that I post here in the PG forums is not the music I compose for the libraries. In many cases, the music for a library will be a totally different style/kind of music than is written for artists and general personal enjoyment playing.

Anyway.... I have rambled on long enough...... comments?

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Scott,

You have a PM.

later,

Shhhhhhhh, now everyone's going to want to know. :>

Later,

I hate to spoil your guys fun but everyone know how a musician can make money. Married a girl with a good paying job!

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Short post on how a musician can make money......

get a daytime job.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Music is a hobby for me. It is definitely a negative cash flow proposition. Now I did make some money over at streetjelly.com -- but I spent twice as much tipping other folks!

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Kemmrich
Music is a hobby for me. It is definitely a negative cash flow proposition. Now I did make some money over at streetjelly.com -- but I spent twice as much tipping other folks!

I miss you Kevin!

I know what you mean, I donate my tips to charity and then buy more for other performers. :>

So until SJ and other sites like this draw enough civilian audiences it will be hard to make money, if indeed we can call a few hundred dollars a month "money" in this day and age.

Later,

Last edited by Danny C.; 03/26/14 07:40 AM. Reason: spelling
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Kemmrich

I miss you Kevin!

I know what you mean, I donate my tips to charity and then buy more for other performers. :>

So until SJ and other sites like this draw enough civilian audiences it will be hard to make money, if indeed we can call a few hundred dollars a month "money" in this day and age.

Later,

Great Mario!

I am SOL there too! :>

Later,

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

Great Mario!

I am SOL there too! :>

Later,

As am I my friend as am I cry

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Had to drive up to Alexandria, just outside the nation's capitol, on a consult.

Me and the missus were sittin' in the rental car waiting for the light to change, on our way to find a good dinner after the day's meetings -- and a kid wearing a tux crossed by in front of us on a bicycle hitched to one of those little bicycle trailers.

Strapped to his trailer with bungees was a guitar gig bag, a jazz sized amplifier with maybe a single 12, and a black music stand.

He pumped on by, standing on the pedals and I looked at the wife and said, "OMG, he's on his way to a GIG!"

Hope it don't rain, kid.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I've been making my income by gigging since 1964 with a couple of exceptions. I did try two "day jobs" out while only gigging as a 'weekend warrior' but they didn't work out well. Being a musician is not what I do, it's what I am.

I also have a sideline selling Band-in-a-Box aftermarket styles and fake disks. It's an extension of what I do for my own gigging, and it keeps me from having to travel or take a cruise ship gig during the dead season here in Florida. But I still make most of my yearly income by gigging.

And I don't regret my career choice for one minute.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,578
Posts734,671
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200