Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
K
kristen Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
K
there is cd baby and myspace has snowcap and there are many others. also you can sell from your own website. there are many ways. probably it has most to do with getting your music "in peoples faces" by advertising of some sort. I haven't tried any yet besides having some songs at my motogator site. seems more people visit the myspace site a lot more. i would rather have 50 percent of something than 100 percent of nothing. know what i mean?
has anyone had any success with any of these internet distributors out there in cyberland? or are THEY the only ones who make any money?

thanks
Super Kristen

Super K

Kristen of "Blues Matters"
http://www.motagator.net/bluesmatters
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Kristen.

I have not yet put anything on CD Baby or any of the other distribution company such as itunes.

However, I have several friends who have used one or more of the most popular systems, as well as selling their own on soundclick, myspace, motagator etc.

I do not personally know of any indie artist who is making a lot of money from internet sales. Most of their money is made by performances and selling of cd items at the venue.

If there was a magic internet solution, I would think it would have been found by now, and I'd put my material there as well.

Not trying to discourage you from an attempt, but I would keep my expectations within normal parameters, based on what is working for you now. Taxi is another company that shops your material for you, (supposedly).

Toucher

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I like Toucher's comments.

CD Baby is by far my favorite distributor for two main reasons:
1) They only take a percentage of your sales, after the one-time tiny setup fee. They only make money if you make money. That sounds fair to me.
2) They will propagate your CD to many of the other Internet online sales sites, such as iTunes, for no extra charge, and keep track of the accounting.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
T
Journeyman
Journeyman
T
The topic is interesting.
If we have our personal webside on the net, we also probably have some MP3 files of our songs on our webside.
Maybe we could also put some snippets of the rest of the songs on our album (If we have one) and then make a link or at least an adress to where they could buy it???
And another thing: It looks to me (at the moment) that one of the nice things about selling music on the net is that we do not have to dublicate our CDs, The customer only take down the songs and the print out the cover and burn a replica on them CD burner.

Best regards
Tono

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
CDBaby requires a couple copies of the physical CD. They give it a UPC code and then get it to all the e-stores as mentioned above, but they wanted a few copies in case people did want to buy the whole CD. What's cool about the way CDBaby keeps track of things is you can tell which song is selling more at which store.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I'd also recommend a good personal web site. You can direct traffic to it via many music site and forums. You then have control over many things and can add at leisure. There are some that offer free web pages. Here are some other sites to check that I don't think have been mentioned= promotemymusic.com promotemysong.com and taxi.com.

Last edited by edbulmer; 01/04/09 01:59 PM.

My website to hear my stuff-

http://www.edbulmer.com/

guitar player, vocalist, sailor
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
A good personal site is invaluable. If built well and supported it'll pay for itself.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I'd like to clarify a couple of things said above. CD Baby does not give you a UPC, but they only charge $20 for it, and you can use it for that product forever.

Digital distribution is CD Baby's real strength. Opt in for at least 50% (better, 75%) of possible distro sources, and they'll do all of the legwork of setting you up with a dozen or two or three places, including iTunes and Amazon.

Another thing CD Baby does very well is let small-time musicians like us take plastic. Accepting credit cards usually costs 1-3% (plus possibly a small fee) per transation, but setting up the account for it can costs hundreds of dollars, plus a fee every month. CD Baby charges $30 for the deposit on a chunk-chunk machine (you know the kind I'm talkin' about), and 9% from every transaction -- basically a dollar an album -- but that's it. No huge set-up fee, no cost for the forms and envelops and stickers you'll need, no ongoing monthly fee. For people working at our level, it's fantastic. We can take MC/Visa/AmEx/Discover, which makes it easier to buy from us, and being able to use their credit cards tends to inspire people to buy more.

As a few of you have said, It really helps to have not only your own personal site but sites at some of the social networking sites, e.g., MySpace and Facebook. I've got pages at MySpace, LiveJournal (where I get a fair amount of traffic), Podsafe, and Concerts In Your Home, all linking to each other, not to mention the various sites that have kinda defaulted into existence at places like last.fm.

I have found SNOCAP to be a pain in the patootie, however.

Best,
Tom Smith
Win10/64 • i7-8700K • 24 GB RAM
BIAB 2024 • Reaper 7 • Izotope MPS
AKG C1000S • IK iRig I/O Pro
Off-Topic
T
Journeyman
Journeyman
T
It looks to me that all of you out there on this thread (so far) is from USA and Canada?
Would it be practichal to use (for example) CD baby if you live in Europe???

Best regards
Tono

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Yes

Follow That Dream

Sam
Karaoke King

--------------------

Turning that corner again - I have to keep following that dream, no matter what
Off-Topic
T
Journeyman
Journeyman
T
Thank you Sam.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I don't know, Tono, but I don't see why not. In fact, I think it would be easier to let CD Baby handle many of these arrangements than to try to do yourself so from overseas. Life is complicated enough.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
T
Journeyman
Journeyman
T
You say that CD baby requires a couple copies of the physical CD in case people want to buy the whole CD.
Well. my experience with dublicating firmas (printing (dublicating) from a glas master) is a rather expensive thing for an amateur to do. And to be realistic, we will probably sell a couple of CDs IFF WE ARE LUCKY.
Wonders can happen of course. And I wish you all luck you can get, but I am to old to trust to much in luck.

So, why is it a bad idea to let the whole album be on MP3 Files??
Why is it not vice ( for an "amateur") to let the whole album be on MP3 and let the customer load it down with juvel case insert and everything.???

I am not negative, only hungry for knowledge.

Best regards
Tono

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
When I signed up for CD Baby, I remember being surprised that they said they would accept a well-made CD-R. This was three years ago and their policy may have changed.

If it is still the same, there is no reason anyone with a good printer and a CD burner could not participate. Their website is written with clear, straightforward (almost homespun) directions. You have to send them five copies. They even said that if you did not want to have anyone buy the physical copy of the CD, they encouraged you to buy the four back yourself. They have to keep one copy, for digitizing, and will report the CD as being out of stock but allow MP3 sales. Again, the way to get in the front door was to give them a good quality product, even if it is only on CD-R. Check their site FAQ and see if this is still true.

[EDIT: yes, still true. This is from their site:

You don't need to have your CDs shrinkwrapped, and yes you can sell a home-made CD-R here, as long as it looks good and has an insert with cover art.]

Last edited by Matt Finley; 01/06/09 11:18 AM.
Off-Topic
T
Journeyman
Journeyman
T
Good news Matt. (That they acsept CDR. Because it would be an expensive thing to make comersial professioal CDs.
Best regards
Tono

Off-Topic
K
kristen Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
K
Does the one-time setup fee include any subsequent cd's you make and want to sell though them (Cd Baby)?

Thanks
Super Kristen

Super K

Kristen of "Blues Matters"
http://www.motagator.net/bluesmatters
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
This hasn't been answered yet, so: Kristen, the one-time set-up fee is per album. Same thing with the UPC.

And, yes, they're still accepting decently-done CD-Rs with home-printed inserts.

Best,
Tom Smith
Win10/64 • i7-8700K • 24 GB RAM
BIAB 2024 • Reaper 7 • Izotope MPS
AKG C1000S • IK iRig I/O Pro
Off-Topic
M
Apprentice
Apprentice
M
I'm based in Cape Town, South Africa, and I've been using CD Baby for a while.
The only downside is that postage from South Africa to them is expensive (works out to about $2 US per album) which cuts into my profit.

CD Baby has always delivered exactly what they promise, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

I've also just registered an album with IndieRhythm.com
Very similar setup to CD Baby; too soon for me to comment, but their backup seems pretty good.

There's a newsletter about promoting your music which is free and quite helpful.
To subscribe, send an e-mail to
indiecontactnewsletter@rogers.com

Regards
Mike Laatz
www.capetownjazz.com

Mike Laatz
Cape Town
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

" . . . probably it has most to do with getting your music "in peoples faces" by advertising of some sort."

To me, this is one of those "Never mind the answer, what's the question?" questions. But you've answered it your own question! For some reason, others have gone on to the mechanics of distribution. Let's stay with getting your music heard.

You're already on myspace. If you use it as a professional it can help. Make "Friends" with other members whom you respect who do music similar to what you do. Also people you like whose music is dissimilar to yours. If you like their stuff, some of their fans are gonna like yours. A lot of other members. That's a start. I have a couple of friends who are doing this with some success.

Shoutcast was originally intended as a medium for individuals to put their own programming on the Net. All you needed was a server or access to one. I don't know if this is still true, but it's worth checking out. You certainly have a better chance of getting into the rotation of existing stations by sending them a CD than with brick-and-mortar stations. (Speaking of which, have you sent demos to college and independent stations? The secret to that is knowing where your stuff is being played--there are ways to do that--and either going there or seeing that your CDs do. More on that below.)

As far as Shoutcast is concerned, I'd contact Radio Polska Stacja and "Belly Up For Blues". (The first is a Polish enterprise, but they have incredibly cool programming which I've mentioned here before. Look them up in Winamp to listen. Write to them in English.)

I also recently found out that XM/Sirius are highly receptive to listener submissions. If they'll play the kind of crap me and my experimental friends put out, they're sure to put yours on. Send them something.

Many small bookstores, and even some chain stores, will allow you to place your CDs on consignment. I learned this while in the book business, so this is hard information. You might even see about playing in some of the stores--yeah, the larger ones, too. My son saw Matchbox 20 in a Borders store in Atlanta before they broke it big. I regularly see other groups near the coffee shop. Be seen. Bring lots of CDs.

I recommend the book "Small Time Operator", a classic manual of guerrilla tactics for small businesses. It is not specifically music oriented, but you will be surprised by the cheap out-of-the-box ideas they suggest, many of which apply to any business. Perhaps you can look at it at the library before buying. It has been revised several times since its original release.

I have another book around here somewhere about making and selling your own records (yeah, it was vinyl when I bought the book.) They've updated that, too, and they have some killer promotional ideas. When I find it or recall the title I'll let you know.

HTH,

Ryszard

P.S.: Be sure that complete contact information, i.e., your URL, is on everything you put out--CDs, flyers, beer coasters, T shirts, Frisbees--so that anyone who sees it will have a way to reach you and buy more stuff. But you knew that, right?

Last edited by Ryszard; 02/06/09 01:37 PM.
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
A site that I have had 3 great dealings with is Kunaki. This is the place for us poor musicians to get some CD-R's done up with a pro-look. The way they work is you download there software (PC Only), and when you are ready with your product (graphics, mix, etc) you let the program create a digital file package, and it will upload everything to their servers.

They will then burn & print the full color CD's (no paper labels!), print the front & back CD inserts, package it & shrink wrap it, and they even give you a free UPC for tracking your sales, which you can also do from their site (tho CD Baby is way more established)

After that they will drop ship them to where ever you want. My last order was for a client, 50 CD's, 5 to CD Baby and the rest to his home. Total cost was $105. (we had to do 2 separate orders, 1 for CD Baby, and one for himself). Not bad, and I think it is worth it in time & materials savings.

The big downfall is the very limited templates for covers, and there is a very screwy return policy if the product is faulty (I have never had a problem, this is just what I have read elsewhere). And I am not sure about how it works for overseas costumers, but it seems like the way to grab, say 5 cd's to send to CD Baby by just uploading your files.

With the ability to order 1, 5, 20, or 1000 CD's at a great price, I think it is worth it.

i5 3.20GHz, 32gb RAM, 1tb SSD OS, 12tb HDD, 4gb gForce vid card, 32" monitor, Audient id44, Win10 x64, BiaB/RB 2023, Reaper 6,IK Multimedia Total Studio 3.5 MAX, Waves 10
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,565
Posts734,454
Members38,492
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
VIPBET사설토토, GlebeGreg, michel vermeulen, Mikanh132, ABE
38,491 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 189