Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#22600 05/09/09 04:08 AM
Off-Topic
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I'm in a spot. I would like to record some song parodies. I have contacted the copyright office and they say most song writers don't want their songs to be parodied so they won't even ask. What do I do now?

And what if you want to record a song that's not technically a parody. Ie.-you just want to use the same melody of a popular song that fits something you have written in a rhyming sense.

Last edited by edbulmer; 05/09/09 04:17 AM.

My website to hear my stuff-

http://www.edbulmer.com/

guitar player, vocalist, sailor
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Ed,

I'm not sure about parodies but I seem to remember reading something about a case recently in the US where a judge dismissed a copyright claim because s/he said the song was a parody and not intended as a commercial venture. That being said, though, I'd research this extremely carefully because melodies and lyrics are strictly off-limits from a copyright perspective unless you have permission. Chord progressions and accompaniment patterns (mostly) are not copyrightable.

If you have written some lyrics that fit the melody of an existing song, you would not be able to use that existing melody. However, the melodic rhythm of the notes cannot be copyrighted so you are free to use different notes playing the same melodic rhythm; this would be a completely different melody.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Always go directly to the online source for the first questions, Ed.

There is likely already a clear answer.

http://www.copyright.gov/

Use the FAQ and the Search feature wisely.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Ed is in Toronto, I don't think American Laws apply. Some international agreements maybe.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Is anyone friends with Weird Al Yankovic - he'd know.

Cheers,
Keith
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
my son, don junior, has done a lot of parodies with bob rivers, a seattle dj who does 'twisted tunes.' i remember they had to create their own backing tracks and be sure NOT TO USE ANY OF THE ORIGINAL MUSIC. they went to vancouver, bc to borrow a special yamaha keyboard to duplicate the original sound and canadian customs sicked the dogs on them. bob looked so suspicious that they did a thorough search to the point of removing the headliner from the car.

bob looked nervous because he had borrowed the car from a pot-smokin' friend and kept hoping 'boy, i hope he didn't leave ANYTHING in this car!' it made the dogs very interested though.

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

Ed is in Toronto, I don't think American Laws apply. Some international agreements maybe.

D'oh!

Canadian Intellectual Property Office website

http://www.worldwideocr.com/Canadian_Copyright_Law_FAQ.asp

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

my son, don junior, has done a lot of parodies with bob rivers, a seattle dj who does 'twisted tunes.' i remember they had to create their own backing tracks and be sure NOT TO USE ANY OF THE ORIGINAL MUSIC. they went to vancouver, bc to borrow a special yamaha keyboard to duplicate the original sound and canadian customs sicked the dogs on them. bob looked so suspicious that they did a thorough search to the point of removing the headliner from the car.

Be sure to tell Jr. that I love "Twisted Tunes"!

Do you know what songs he was on? Just curious.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
mario, yes, he can sound exactly like ccr's john fogarty so he did a lot of ccr parodies including 'read it in the tabloids' (heard it through the grapevine); 'burned on the barbecue' (born on the bayou); 'there's a bathroom on the right' (there's a bad moon on the rise), also 'the baseball strike song' and many others. he was on every 'twisted' cd to date but i have lost track of all the songs he did for bob. btw, 'there's a bathroom on the right' was done at my request. at the time i was commuting to work in seattle and i would start my day with several cups of coffee. the commute took anywhere from 25 minutes to 6 hour (opening day at the u of w during a cloudburst) so knowing where the bathrooms were was vital to me.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Quote:

Is anyone friends with Weird Al Yankovic - he'd know.

Yes, I am (but only in Facebook terms!)

I think there's some stuff on his site about how he gets the rights.

In any case, one thing is clear. Without the consent of the artist, it's strictly a non-starter.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Crossing the border into canada with say a roach in the ashtray will get your car searched.

Then you can continue.

Don't try it the other way, the car is gone, yer in jail and you won't ever cross the border again.

I came back from Jamaica once and realized as they went through my one small carry on for 30 minutes that the dogs in the hallway where you can't see them (they sit on the other side as the air is moved across you to them through vents) must have hit on me. They were so disappointed.

As I didn't do the drugs thing (we had to pee in bottles once in a while), I realized I sat on the beach talking to a Jamacian who had a doobie would make Cheech and Chong proud. Probably lingered.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I love those twisted tunes Don. In fact I learned the Bathroom on the right song and play it for my boating friends and they love it. But to cut to the chase yes I have talked to the governing body here in Canada Mac and as I said in my opening statement I"m in a fix because they tell me the won't even ask because they know the publishers don't want their songs parodied.
So I guess what I'm saying is how do others get away with it. I know it would easy to make origianl backing tracks but still they are still using another writers melody.

Last edited by edbulmer; 05/10/09 03:42 PM.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hey Ed you writing a song to enter in the 175th b day for Toronto Contest?

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
How about a parody to " I left my heart in San Francisco"-

"I let a fart in a Toronto Bistro". Think I'd win?

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Mel Lastman sang in Dundas Square?

There my Leaf's and I'll cry if I want to?

I love Hawgtown in the Springtime?

TO know know TO is to love love TO?

Tarronna, my kinda town?

I left my heart at the St. Charles?

We'll take Toronto and Centre Island too, it's fun going to Scarberiazoo..
It's pretty fancy, on Queen Street West you know, the subway charms us so, when icy breezes blow, snow to and fro, and tell me what street, compares with Yonge st. in July, on grates where wino's lie, as we walk by, the great big city's a wonderous toy, just made for a Susy and Fred, jumping a streetcar, and seeing Honest Ed.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

How about a parody to " I left my heart in San Francisco"-

"I let a fart in a Toronto Bistro". Think I'd win?

"I left my heart
In San Francisco
I left my spleen
In Abilene
And my eyes
In Van Nuys . . . "

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Off-Topic
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I could have so much fun with some of these old tunes like-

All my exes changed their sexes
They're missing all the parts I really long to see etc etc.

But the world will never know the rest cause the damn publishers won't let me.
So sad.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Contact some radio stations. I've had a piece I wrote new words to, the Boston Subway protest song, and it got played. Something about they pay roalties based on what they play or some other stuff like that.

I think it's called the MTA song/Pete Seeger? Nice folk tune, I remember the tune, not the words so much.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Found this on-line:

If you plan on going commercial with your parodies, then it is courteous to ask the artists if you can parody their song, just like Weird Al does. Even though the "fair-use" statement of the copyright law might suggest you don't have to do so, this remains a very gray area of the law. Getting permission can prevent you from being sued.

And elsewhere, Canadian jurisprudance:

Generally, No. The Supreme Court case Cambell v. Acuff-Rose addressed this issue and ruled that Luther Cambell (of 2 Live Crew) did not owe royalties to the estate of Roy Orbison (Acuff-Rose) for doing a parody of the song "Oh Pretty Women".

However, if you do a parody, it would be wise to contact the rights owner of the original song to get permission (this is what Weird Al Yankovic makes a point of doing for his parodies) if only to save yourself the messiness of legal action (even if you win in the end, will it be worth the trouble?) Incidentally, even though the Court held in Luther Campbell's favor, he ended up settling with Acuff-Rose and paying royalties anyway.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Ed,

They may not let you sing your parodies but what if you just copyrighted your parodies as poems? No melody line just words? Don’t know, just a thought.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,461
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
MIX-I-MUSIX 2.0, Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz
38,441 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195