Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#151049 02/19/12 02:57 PM
Off-Topic
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi,
I have a serious question. My coach says, in order to become more succesful I need to sing. Thing is, I`ve never sung in my life before (if you don`t include the shower thing, LOL).

We`re going to release a Gypsy CD (not a homemade one; we have a label) and there should be 2 or 3 vocal tracks on it. We can`t hire a singer, because it`s supposed to be my project (I`m the leader).

Now here`s a demo track of a Kinks song that I`ve covered in our gypsy style:
http://www.sandrasherman.com/media/sunny-afternoon_demo.mp3

Please be honest. Don`t tell me just good stuff, because you don`t want to hurt my feelings. Personally I think I would need a lot of vocal training to be good enough for the CD.

BTW:
Bass: BB Realtrack
Guitars and Vocals: Me

Sandra

"GuitarVersum" YouTube Channel: Jazz Chord Melody Tutorials
Jazz Guitar Lessons | Jazz Guitar Gear Reviews
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkT05N04ICdHgmDZrGYz-5A

Lesson Shop:
https://guitarversum.com/shop

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Please be honest. Don`t tell me just good stuff, because you don`t want to hurt my feelings. Personally I think I would need a lot of vocal training to be good enough for the CD.

Sandra

Go for it gal, absolutely nothing wrong with your vocal tone which would prevent you from singing. Do work with a vocal teacher to get you breathing, phonics, articulation and confidence up.

Oh, and I expected a much stronger German accent ?

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thanks! What does "phonics" mean?

Lesson Shop:

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
That's good singing.

You have a good ear, pitch is not a problem, that's good. Many who try to pick up singing don't have that advantage.

You are already well out in front of many I hear who think that they should be singing in front of people...

You also have great timing, phrasing, and best of all, are using AIR to make your sound, moving that air past the vocal chords with a nice, relaxed sounding throat.

All of it shows that you have good musical taste.

That's 90% of the requirements right there.

That said, you have to decide for yourself whether or not you want to put in the time and repetition that it takes to develop that good voice. If it is fun for you, not a problem. But if you should find it to be a task, might be necessary to rethink the situation.

Quote:

My coach says, in order to become more succesful I need to sing.

If you find that you LIKE adding the singing to your repertoire, then it is not a problem.

If, however, you find that you do not necessarily like nor want to add singing to your performances, bear in mind that there are *many* successful instrumentalists in the world who do not sing a single note onstage.

If the latter is the case, you may want to consider finding a different coach!

--Mac

Off-Topic
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thanks Mac. Those are some very good points you made. It`s not really that I don`t want to sing, I like it. But as a pro guitarist I can tell the difference between "ok" and a real pro. Maybe I`m a perfectionist...

So I think, I`ll go for the vocal lessons. But it`s good to hear, that there is something there already, because I really wasn`t sure.

Thanks,
Sandra

Lesson Shop:

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Sandra,

Here's a little different point of view.

Your vocal chops are definitely not up to the high standards of your guitar playing. I agree with your own evaluation when you said:

Quote:

Personally I think I would need a lot of vocal training to be good enough for the CD.

You didn’t mention a time table for the release, but only you know if you have the time to take the vocal lessons and have them bear fruit in time for your release.

You also mentioned this:

Quote:

We can`t hire a singer, because it`s supposed to be my project (I`m the leader).

Because it is your project and you are the leader, only you can make the decision to hire a singer. If you want your CD to be the best it can be, and you know a singer, (or singers, since you have 3 vocals), that will make those songs better, there’s nothing wrong with a guest vocalist.

It’s still your project and you are still the leader.

Off-Topic
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thanks Bob, for your honest words.

I know a very succesful Gpysy Band here in Austria. They mix Gypsy music with traditional Viennese music. For about half their songs they have a famous singer on the CD. It became quite succesful. Now, here`s the problem: Every promoter /club owner wants them with the original singer. Now they can only play when the singer`s got time too. They kinda made themself dependant from him.

My CD is due in Autumn, I`ll try to get some vocal lessons before!

Sandra

Lesson Shop:

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Sandra, I think you have the ability to sing, the notes are there. Obviously there are a few pitch problems, and mostly flat not sharp. But many are right. As said the timing is good, and you already know proper phrasing. Some good coaching and hard work it should shape up. Dive in, and sing a lot, work at it as you did with the guitar.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Don't worry too much, just do it. I waited. Then it's sort of too late. Everyone says 'blues'. Well, I know about 10 or so actual blues songs, and it was never my preference.

I'm not much of a coach or critic, but I'll give a listen later. For now my grandson, who will be 3, and my wife who'll be a lot older than that are wearing googles he found, elastic bands on the wrist, (must be id?), and dancing to red hot chili peppers with pink on deck. Not my thing either but he's a dancing fool!

Look, the thing is, will others listen?

BTW,the local universities music programs have tons of first year people who have the voice, some training, and want to do this kind of thing. I'm mentoring keyboard players, for free, because I have gear, a studio, and want to.

I'm officially too old to or lack the desire to go out and hear new acts. I'm in bed by 10 p.m., no matter who's house I'm in...

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I think adding a few vocal songs to your set (one out of 4 or 5 songs) would make the set more interesting (more variety) for the audience. I say take the lessons and be the best you can be.

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Sandra...go for it ! Put in the time with the coach. You make a great point about 'guest artists'...then the hiring venue want's that guy or gal and you're in a corner. Do it yourself. You've got a great head-start. A few pitch issues, but most singers do, so just do it... assuming you have the desire and committment to develop and get better.

I'd like to hear this same tune down a whole step maybe. Times in the tune when you're pushing your range. Go lower keys until you gain a bit more upper range ?

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Sandra,

As stated by many above you are already ahead of the curve, especially with phrasing, which in my humble opinion, other than staying on key is the most important part of any vocal. Heck phrasing is also, again in my ears anyway, is what separates many musicians from the pack even with instrumentals. With this said my first choice would be for you to go for it and with the help of your vocal coach do the vocals 100% yourself. Second choice, and only if you are not yet comfortable carrying the vocals yourself, would be to use another singer but also include your own vocals even if in some minor way as a duet or in a background role for starters.

But the bottom line is that you and only you can make that decision.

Break A Leg!

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Sandra, I'm sorry but I have to agree with Bob. Your singing (on this recording) is not up to your (high) playing standard. In my opinion you have two options:

1: Hire a singer. You hire other musicians and a singer is nothing more or less than that. It does not mean you are no longer the bandleader (think Moonlight Shadow by Mike Oldfield) You want (and need) this level of vocals Vaya Con Dios - Johnny

2: Learn to sing yourself. Find a good vocal coach and work hard. You know the drill...

Yes, your singing is good enough for karaoke-bars and the odd gig for friends with a hobby band. It is not that bad. But please don't do this right now at your normal gigs. It will bring the high quality of your gigs and your music down.

I hope you know I don't write this to bring you down.

Last edited by Mike sings; 02/19/12 05:01 PM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Sandra, I also say go for it! You are one fantastic guitarist and now you are also a very good singer. As suggested you could go to a vocal instructor to take you over the top, not that it is all that far for you! That is the route I would go if I have a voice like yours. The other option is to use pitch correction, as noted your were a little pitchy, but be it far from someone like me with no vocal chords what so ever to criticize. Personally with a voice like yours I would take Mac’s advice and get a good vocal instructor.

I also agree with Jazzmandan as I didn’t hear a foreign, at least foreign to me , accent!

Ps, now I’m even a bigger fan of yours!

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hi, Sandra:

I would like to offer a little perspective, and perhaps soften the blows you have just received...

I like your voice, there's a lot of promise there, but I would agree, maybe not for a CD right now.

BUT... it really depends upon your time horizon, that is, how soon you want to record. If you have some lead time, weeks or months, then, by all means, sing as much as you can at your gigs, in the shower, etc., and I will bet that with practice and increased confidence, you will be CD-ready in a few weeks or months.

Good, luck, and do not give up... (I have been listening a lot to Eliane Elias, who, IMO, is not a natural singer, yet, she is very effective.)

Besides, since when do Gypsies required trained voices?

Brad -- My FAWM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Sandra, I'm sorry but I have to agree with Bob. Your singing (on this recording) is not up to your (high) playing standard. In my opinion you have two options:

1: Hire a singer. You hire other musicians and a singer is nothing more or less than that. It does not mean you are no longer the bandleader (think Moonlight Shadow by Mike Oldfield) You want (and need) this level of vocals Vaya Con Dios - Johnny

2: Learn to sing yourself. Find a good vocal coach and work hard. You know the drill...

Yes, your singing is good enough for karaoke-bars and the odd gig for friends with a hobby band. It is not that bad. But please don't do this right now at your normal gigs. It will bring the high quality of your gigs and your music down.

I hope you know I don't write this to bring you down.

I agree with Mike. Too much space at this point between the level of expertise of your playing & singing however I personnally think that as a pro musician you'll get were you need to be if you want.You know what's needed.One thing to take into account. I doubt anyone ever told Sinatra he needed to learn to play guitar. So.........

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Sandra,

I want to weigh in by saying that I really like your voice! The melody to your song was not easy for a vocalist... it had a lot of steps that require a precise landing, and you handled them very well.

In my opinion vocals don't have to be perfect if they are presented with enough style to make them interesting and musical. You have a very styistic approach to singing, and for me it works. You already sound better than most of the live acts I've heard performing locally.

As already mentioned, there is a different standard for singing live and singing on a CD. I think you have a GREAT live voice... but it does err on the side of style rather than pitch perfection. Once you commit the song to a permanent record, there's always the chance that you'll look back later and wish it had been perfect.

There are many possibilities, but considering the following facts:
1) you ARE a perfectionist...
2) you DO plan to take lessons...
3) you will be singing in live performances as well...

my recommendation is to go ahead and sing on your CD, then use Melodyne to clean up any aspect of the performance that does not meet your high professional standard. As you take voice lessons, you'll grow into the CD performance. When you perform live for people who have heard the CD, they will recognize that you are the same person who sang on the CD.

Good luck in your project! You are a very talented person, and I have great respect for your various abilities!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Sandra - First of all, I really enjoyed that. What I heard in your voice was nervousness because I don't think you believe you can do it yet. As was said, practice, practice, practice. You'll get more comfortable with it and it will flow more naturally.

But for me, I'd buy your CD.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I hear 2 things. One is that you don't believe you can sing. I sensed that you were kind of holding back. Belt it out to the back row and just let it rip.

Back when I played regularly I was the 2nd singer in my band. Since I took 18 years off, I lost it. I don't sing anywhere like I used to. But you know what? Critics be damned. It took me a long time to decide where I stood about it, and it took many people to tell me this, but this is my voice, I don't get to exchange it for another one, and damn it, I am going to sing. End of discussion.

Just be careful to pick a key that fits your range, continue to work with your coach to expand your range and work on your breathing.

I hear the native ability and the talent in there. Stay at it.

PS I wonder if you would do something for us. Would you sing something in your native language and post it? I wonder if maybe singing in English is making your brain work in too many directions at once. Just a thought.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Hi Sandra,

I enjoyed the track. My observation is that as the track progressed you were running short of breath which contributed to your slight pitch problems

You may need to work on building up your wind, especially on a song of that type.

I wish you well.

Don S.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,620
Posts735,175
Members38,517
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
maxrob61, TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose
38,516 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185