Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Off-Topic
seeker Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Did find this out VSTi naming base from one company and DXI base from another company.

Microsoft GS wav Synth, CoolSoft virtual synth both will play nicely from software as
tho they are external devices.

Standalone, some of them like SampleTank have keyboard icon you can click notes and play.

Standalone ???? Have looked some amount on the net and cannot find a definitive answer.
Or at least one can understand. It/they do not show up on midi configuration screens as
MS wav synth and Coolsoft, or if on my psr-3000 does.

Damn hard question to pin down.

Maybe this may help. In what capacity would a person use Standalone softSynth?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by seeker; 03/09/13 10:47 AM.

FrankB

Down The Street vs2015 12-03-2014
Win7, AMD QuadA8-5500,16GB,2TeraHD, Komplete 10
PG Ultra Plus 2016,Alesis 12USB, Sonar Platinum
Off-Topic
J
Expert
Expert
J
I would think a standalone (software) synth would be one that can be used WITHOUT having to be loaded (or to be dependent on) into another program - e.g. NOT have to be used as a VST(i) or DXi plugin. When the software synth is started by itself or 'standalone', it will have it's own entry in the windows Applications taskbar.

Loaded standalone, what would one do with it ?

1.) if the synth has an onscreen keyboard, one can play the computer-displayed keyboard and hear sounds through computer speakers.
2.) one can record the sounds to their hard drive, given recording software
3.) one can plug a MIDI instrument to their computer (e.g. MIDI guitar out or Keboard MIDI out to MIDI in on computer), and hear the instrument MIDI out data play sounds through the standalone synth running on the computer, hearing the sounds through computer speakers - and again, can record with computer recording software

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
A VSTi needs a host to play it. Some VSTis come with their own hosts.

There are a number of free hosts that will load any VSTi and allow you play it through you MIDI keyboard, such as VSTHost or Cantabile Lite.

Try a Google search with live VST host application.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Off-Topic
seeker Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
No entry in the windows applications taskbar. Have some number of standalones
and none do this. Even with some amount of tinkering.

Let me reword the question how does one get
PC onboard midi source to drive the Standalone.

BIAB > OPT > set midi output driver to standalone.

They do not appear there or in several other audio software
being used.

Curious a bit, have you setup the SampleTank Standalone to
take advantage of your suggestions?

David,

Missed your post was responding.
Am aware of the VSTi use, just barely.
The Standalone function is what really throws me.

Just did a quick look and the "Hosting" word was NOT in my vocabulary.
Will look into them bit more as needed. So many years ago a words were coined,
"data mining". Gotta know a bit to look.

Thanks

Last edited by seeker; 03/09/13 12:48 PM.
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I'm such a rookie to this stuff that I probably shouldn't even post but.....

When I saw the term, "standalone", Aria immediately came to mind because I think that term is used in their literature. This might not be relevant though.

Stan

Cornet Curmudgeon
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I'm not sure I understand the question, so sorry if my answer completely misses the mark.

A VSTi is meant to be driven by a VSTi host. It's not meant to be a stand-alone engine. Applications which use the VSTi standard know how to talk to VSTis.

Unlike applications, a VSTi isn't registered with the OS. So applications don't know if a VSTi has been installed. There are some directories that a VSTi is often deployed to, but not necessarily. More often than not, you have explicitly tell your applications where the VSTi that you want to use has been installed. That's the case when you're using a VSTi with BiaB.

Short version:
  • A VSTi is meant to be run by a VSTi host.
  • There's no place where a VSTi is registered on your computer.

The most important bit: Windows isn't a VSTi host itself. So you can't tell it to use a VSTi instead of the default MIDI player. It's an apples to oranges sort of comparison.

I just read here that there's such a thing as a Windows multimedia user driver. Apparently, if you want to replace the default Windows behavior of playing MIDI files with the built-in MIDI player, you need to install a program that's been coded to be a Windows multimedia user driver.

Again, these are apples and oranges. I'm sure that there are VSTi programs that have also been coded as Windows multimedia user driver.

But they are different protocols, so even though it might have the same name (say, Footastic Synth) there has to be a Footastic Synth VSTi and a Footastic Synth Windows multimedia user driver.

I don't know that there's a generic VSTi host that allows you to select an arbitrary VSTi to use as the default MIDI synth.

If all you want to have happen is have a different program launch instead of the Windows Multimedia Player, you can change those settings from within Windows. But I'm not sure that's what you're asking...

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Off-Topic
seeker Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
David,

I have a SampleTank line showing installation in my PC control panel.
This covers the Standalone function..think.
When installed had a folder for the standalone created automatically.

I created some pictures will upload tomorrow. Standalone demo's.
Have spent about 8-10 hours at PC today, so steam has leaked outta me. LOL.

After looking at your links think an intermediate software would have to be used.

Then I found this......

Pretty damn cool piece of stuff.
Think the ST on the iPad is an App.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubc16jfSfPQ

Good Evening for now.

Last edited by seeker; 03/10/13 12:45 AM.

FrankB

Off-Topic
seeker Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Follow up on pics mentioned above.

First one is the dual monitor screen capture. Note only Standalone ST.
http://www.mp3cloud.mobi/SampleTankAlone2screendisplay.jpg

Second is only standalone ST.
http://www.mp3cloud.mobi/SampleTankAloneDisplay.jpg

Yoke is not correct term maybe.
With you folks help have concluded the an extra program is
need to interface with the 16 channels in SampleTank.

Thank you all for your suggestions and help.

FrankB

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Seek, what exactly are you trying to do here? Learn something or do something. I can't for the life of me figure out what you are asking.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Off-Topic
seeker Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Last posting was a follow up on above information.
Pics were show and tell for standalone units.

Simply question maybe...

Statement, Fact: Select and Play midi thru Microsoft GS WAvetable Synth.
How do you Select and play midi thru SampleTank Standalone Synth?

Note Standalone are not the VSTi versions used with Daw's.

Last edited by seeker; 03/10/13 10:31 AM.

FrankB

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Stand alone is not a Gm module like Roland TTS, or a build in synth MSSGS.

However if you want to use it as a stand alone synth module open it up, and go to setting/ audio midi and setup the midi in and out, and sound as if you were setting up a DAW. Then the little keyboard should sound as you click it. And it should receive midi data from a keyboard.

Remember you to manually assign the samples and patch the keyboard thou the midi channel. Example in channel 1 add a piano sample, and set the keyboard to output on channel 1. All should be good

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
If you want to play a "standalone" synth from a program like BIAB you need to use a virtual midi cable like midi yoke.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
"Standalone" means the synth runs as a program like any other program. Any synth that has a standalone option also has it's own icon on your desktop so you click it to open it. It's mostly used for live performance since a host like Biab does NOT need to be running to play it. VST, DXi etc are plugin versions of that same synth. Most of us don't refer to the old Roland VSC any more because it won't work on 64 bit systems but the VSC is one GM synth that also has a standalone version. It was in my system tray on my old XP system and I could click the icon and the VSC app would open up by itself, nothing to do with Biab or any other host. I would use it occasionally as a midi file player.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
in sampletank if you open the IK folder and then the sampletank folder it will have a sampletank.exe file. Clicking that will open standalone Sampletank. If you do the setup as i mentioned above it should work as a hardware synth, that is IF you have the midi keyboard setup, and the in/out available to sampletank.

However as the guys are saying above. If you want to play sampletank inside BiaB so that both the keyboard and Biab has access to it that becomes a horse of a different color.

Off-Topic
seeker Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
John,

Thanks for your comments, finally came to same conclusion with you folks help.

Bob,

I am aware of the VSTi defintion. Thanks to you folks over the was few years.
Using them so well as many of you folks do, years down the road.

The word "Standalone" is what really throws me.
This to me insinuated that you could feed midi signal to it
and sounds would be played.

I just started up my Yamaha PSR 3000 AGAIN..........

Futzed about with SampleTank a bit.
Top left corner of Sampletank standalone screen
is settings button.
At top of popup screen. Audio selctions of Direct X or ASIO.
AND at bottom is MIDI input. Was/is blank.
It will ONLY work if an external Midi device is Active.
Also you "Must Start" SampleTank after the midi is ON/Active.

Leroy Jethro Gibbs rule #123 is:
"External Midi Driver power on before Starting SampleTank Standalone".

This along with some good Presets within ST would be great for anyone with
midi keyboard.

Joe's #3 stated this, but caveats of powering up before starting ST
prevented it working correctly. Also you cannot see ST Standalone as
a windows midi device.

Appreciate all of you folks help!

Thanks what makes these forums so Great.

FrankB

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Even when I use my keyboard controller live I don't use "Standalone" versions. I use the VST/VSTi host Cantabile. That way I have all of my 12 or so synths + their associated effects loaded into a rack. All I have to do is turn on or off what synth & effects I want to use.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Frank, just to add confusion to the mix, you can also get SAVIHost for free. It lets you take a plugin VSTi and turn it into a standalone instrument. So if you have VSTi's that are only plugins, it lets you work with them without having to load them into your DAW first.

I often like to load a standalone just to play my keyboard, without having to load the DAW first. That way, I'm just playing through the standalone synth. I also use the LoopBe30 virtual MIDI cables ($20), since it supports both 32- and 64-bit virtual MIDI routing.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Off-Topic
seeker Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
John & John.....sorry could not resist that.

This post and ensuing thread has really nailed down my original question.
Your software suggestions are and will be very helpful, to me and also
other folks who follow the thread.

The standalone sound qualities with generic midi keyboard opens up a
new area for some folks. My Yamaha 3000 does have good sounds, but ability
to add the Synth samples and sounds thru time changes the game.

Thanks to you both!

FrankB

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,587
Posts734,745
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Krystal Mcclain, Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex
38,500 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 191