Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi folks,

Now and again I leave my computer on all night when I am running a program that takes a long time to complete.

Just wondering how much of a fire risk is this, since we got a fright yesterday when an electric shower 13 years old but otherwise working fine went on fire, black smoke flames coming out of side and burnt part of the casing. We had a fire extinguisher nearby (powder type) so used that to put out fire.

Makes me wonder about leaving the computer on over night since its got the foam padding as well inside to keep the case quiet.

Musiclover

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Four words:

A Good Surge Protector.

Cheers,
Mike

PS: I leave mine on all the time except for when there is a thunderstorm in the area. 7 years running, seldom powered off.

Cheers,
Mike

My Music * Asus ROG Strix G15CF 32 GB DDR4 4TB HDD + 1 TB SSD NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 8GB Win 11 AKAI EIE PRO Sound Interface. BIAB/RB 2024 UltraPak Build - Latest
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Ditto to what Mike said. Also, make sure you keep it dusted inside and out. Canned air is expensive but worth it for the safety and longevity of your PC. Blow out the power supply and CPU fan if you can get at it, also the GPU (graphics card) if it has a fan. I frequently leave PCs on for days at a time, shutting down if I am leaving home or during a storm.

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
*ANY* electrical device may become a fire hazard at any time, there are no guarantees against that happening.

However, modern electrical devices do have to meet a host of standards mandated by many countries, and this certainly helps a lot in the matter of risk avoidance.

The wiring inside your walls is likely the most important thing to keep to code and maintained properly if fire prevention is the goal.

--Mac

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
I'm trying to figure out just what exactly is an, "electric shower"`....

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Quote:

I'm trying to figure out just what exactly is an, "electric shower"`....

Electric Shower

Usually referred to as a tankless shower here in the states.

Keith
2024 Audiophile Windows 11 AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 3960X 4.5GHZ 128 GB RAM 2 Nvidia RTX 3090s, Vegas,Acid,SoundForge,Izotope Production,Melodyne Studio,Cakewalk,Raven Mti
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Oh.

I think here in the states you might more often encounter this as "Tankless Hotwater Heater" or at least "On Demand Hot Water".

Such a device, if electric, would draw several orders of magnitude more current than the Personal Computer. That could be a fire hazard. The computer, not so much.

Thanks, Keith.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Besides for a good surge protector, check the weather forecast. No surge protector can stop a close lightning strike from toasting your computer.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Mac has a point, most computers will draw around 400 to 500 watts of power while in use unless a super fast gaming rig with top end multiple graphics cards and power supply to match, even then a full 1000 watts is pushing the boundary a bit too far.

However as we in the UK do call them electric shower units as that is what they are intended to be used for, they are an on demand water heater, modern units can draw as much as 10 kilowatts, though the average will be around four to eight kilowatts units. That is here in the UK with our mains supply at 240 volts, a full 10 kilowatt unit will draw 41.6 amps, an 8 kilowatt will draw 33.3 amps, and so on. In countries where the supply voltage is 110 volts the current is over double that for 240 volts with nearly 100 amps for a 10 kilowatt unit. At those currents it only needs a slightly loose connection screw to overheat the connection to the point of fire breaking out.
Although a loose or poor connection will heat up and eventually cause fire in the supply to a computer, the instability of the computer due to the bad connection, will hopefully have prompted an early enough investigation to rectify it.
Having said that, there is still the chance of one of the higher current components in the computer power supply, could be a Friday afternoon lemon and burn out. The recent problems with electrolytic capacitors going pop due to the wrong electrolyte being used, could also be a cause of fire as once blown can become a short circuit.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Quite a few of the cheaper power supply units are regarded as incendiary bombs or combustive agents. Insufficent components (mostly: too cheap components) will overheat and then...

Also a otherwise safe component might become underdimensioned if components of a(n off the shelve) computer are exchanged to "more"powerful" ones. Most likely the PSUs of complete systems made by most manufacturers or assemblers have little reserve/cushion/spare (I don't know the right word).

If you want to be on the safe side: check the PSU in your computer and calculate the max. power needed and replace it -- if necessary -- to one that may deliver at least 20 per cent more performance than needed at the max. And buy the products of reliable manufactures only.

Guido

Desktop; i7-2600k, 8 GB mem., Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Laptop: i5-2410M, 4 GB mem, Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

Quite a few of the cheaper power supply units are regarded as incendiary bombs or combustive agents. Insufficent components (mostly: too cheap components) will overheat and then...

But don't overlook the fact that the computer power supply is contained inside its own steel box. And that box is also contained inside the PC's enclosure as well.

So that, while you may indeed experience a fault situation in which a component inside the power supply may overheat or even reach combustion point, the event will be contained and it would be quite difficult for that to start a fire to any surroundings given the average expected environment.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Aside from leaving your computer on/off, there are a bunch of other appliances that draw power,even on standby. With the cost of power these days, it might be advisable to unplug many of these when not in use. I found a handy way to check power consumption is to use a Kill-A-Watt meter. I use one to check power at venues before plugging anything in. It's also handy for calculating power draw on a given circuit to prevent overloading.

http://www.p3international.com/products/special/p4400/p4400-ce.html

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Yes, they usually are encased with quite a few openings into the PC case. The air to cool the PSU comes more often than not from inside the PC. Even if the fan sucks air out of the PC, once the PSU starts to burn the fan will stop soon after. Depending on where in the PC the PSU is located and whether the PC case is made from metal or other material.

I'm not saying each and every cheap PSU will cause fire, many of them are known as Chinese firecrackers.

While a burning PSU destroys itself -- it might find some empathic companions for the trip towards Nirwana...

Guido

Desktop; i7-2600k, 8 GB mem., Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Laptop: i5-2410M, 4 GB mem, Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I'm a little skittish about high voltage (defined as 120 VAC or above) and dust. I once had a 100A three-phase breaker box that I had personally locked in the off position blow up in my face. By the grace of God I wasn't injured in the least, but there was a hell of a bang. We later figured that dust falling through the contacts ahead of the breaker had caused a short. (After that I started wearing a face shield while working on electrics.)

My point is that an overheated PC is likely to cause problems, and that overheating is likely to be caused by dust. My concern is that the dust may ignite and be blown outside the PC case by the PSU fan, possibly setting fire to something in the room. This is perhaps a bit baroque, but are you willing to bet the safety of your home or studio on its not happening?

Far better to be safe than sorry. Clean the inside of your PC regularly and make sure, as stated above, that the power supply is rated at least 20% in excess of the sum of your system's component draw. In fact, inrush current on startup can briefly run 30% above steady state, so more is better. Lastly, if your house wiring isn't already so equipped, you may want to make sure that your surge protector has ground fault interruption (GFI). If you don't do these things, at best the CPU or PSU will fail sooner than expected, and at worst--catastrophe.

Signed,

Lemony Snicket (See A Series of Unfortunate Events)

:P

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

I'm a little skittish about high voltage (defined as 120 VAC or above) and dust. I once had a 100A three-phase breaker box that I had personally locked in the off position blow up in my face. By the grace of God I wasn't injured in the least, but there was a hell of a bang. We later figured that dust falling through the contacts ahead of the breaker had caused a short. (After that I started wearing a face shield while working on electrics.)

I don't know of ANY Personal Computer that is designed to draw power from a 3-phase system, much less one that requires 3-phase, 100Amp supply.

In the US, 3-phase voltage is going to be either 208V or 440 - 480V. That's quite a lot higher potential going on than the common 120VAC house supply, which is single phase.

As with *any* technology where power is involved, we must excercise *reason* coupled with common sense when confronted with safety issues.

And also pay attention to the statistical data, which ih the instance of PCs being able to start home fires is likely down around the fractional percentage of the total. That means it might happen, certainly, under any number of possible circumstances, some of which may be caused by simultaneous failures, such as a natural gas leak in an environment where there is a running PC that also manages to fail and make a spark inside and boom, but that might come under the subject of proper technology maintenance of said enironment more than anything else.

Electrical faults inside the common PC, when running from common household AC, with a properly installed Circuit Breaker on the grounded AC line (or even a properly installed Fuse Box situation on an ungrounded line) is statistically rather safe.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I spent many years as an certified Fire and Explosion investigator. Never saw a computer that caused a fire. A bit of smoke an few times, once my own 5 grand 5 meg hard drive, it filled the office with black smoke but only a resistor burned and it was tiny, and my drive worked for two more years. I've seen whole apts wired with Electrolux wire the owner fixed them and re used the wire. One nite out for last call at a local, the stereo caught fire. 85 feet of Electrolux cord to a plug and that of course dropped the voltage and now you apply Ohms law.
Magazines on top of the stereo and...bingo. Fire. Two hundred thousand insurance claim and a four plex that was supposed to be a duplex least ten homeless and killed 4 pets. No detectors worked.

Like a lot of home made car stereo systems.. Ummm no sir only thing I've done to my sweet ride was add a big stereo, you should have seen the headlights dance when the bass was grovin moved them lights up and down shaking my car. Geez. Son you needed to pop a cap in that ride! Electrical joke there.

Keep your fan clear, don't pile stuff on top, and just do like me, turn it off when you move it.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Well, this forum has passed another milestone: now we have electrical jokes. Watt's up with that?

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
ohm my...

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Why, err . . .

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,397
Posts732,533
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200