Print Thread
Go To
#213354 08/29/13 11:22 AM
Off-Topic
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Dear Forum Friends,
I've got a webpage on Soundclick which I think I'm pretty happy with but recently had to open a Soundcloud page for the Berklee Songwriting course. I find it difficult to use. Can anyone give me a good reason to maintain the SoundCloud page? Thanks for your comments and insights.
SD

Off-Topic
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
I think it is a personal choice really, but one reason I can think of off the top of my head is some of the major DAWS like Sonar, Studio One, Logic Pro X all seem to be including it in their programs to publish your music. I don't have any experience with either myself.

Brian

BIAB 2024 Ultrapack- Studio One Pro 6.5 Windows 10

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
SD,

Brian makes a good point. Hot kid on the block now and easy uploading. And some like the comments on the track feature.

I've used both. Left the click a couple of years ago looking for better sound but can't say cloud is any better.

One of the things I don't like about cloud is no control over the related tracks that come up with your songs.

In the end being on both can't hurt you. In hindsight I wish I'd kept my page on click since they made some improvements after I took it down. You're stuck with ads or something you don't like on all the free sites.

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Originally Posted By: SpaceDog
Dear Forum Friends,
I've got a webpage on Soundclick which I think I'm pretty happy with but recently had to open a Soundcloud page for the Berklee Songwriting course. I find it difficult to use. Can anyone give me a good reason to maintain the SoundCloud page? Thanks for your comments and insights.
SD

What do you find difficult about it? I think it's actually rather simple compared to SoundClick's constant past desire to open new windows and put advertising for paid soundclick member songs across the top.

Have you had a look at this page? http://help.soundcloud.com/customer/portal/topics/109406-the-basics/articles

Off-Topic
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
Last night I had a update to my Studio One DAW which added this new feature:

SoundCloud dashboard on Start page*
The SoundCloud dashboard on the Start page displays key statistics from a user's SoundCloud account, as well as a scrolling display of the SoundCloud activity stream.

I guess like Josie said it is the hot kid on the block for now.

BIAB 2024 Ultrapack- Studio One Pro 6.5 Windows 10

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Another choice is Drop Box and Box.com.

One of the pitfalls of reverbnation, sound cloud, and sound click is that they restrict the size of files and have their own built in players and compression formats. This can adversely affect the music you upload to them.....especially the "free" accounts.

Using them however, some of them have rankings and ratings based on plays and downloads and it's a nice thing to see your song at #1 in category if only for a day.....

By using drop box and box dot com you can upload waves and 320kbs MP3's and they can be any length song. You can also keep the song as a streaming only song or allow free downloads of the song. the cool thing is the song will playback with the same fidelity as you uploaded originally.

I have started to use these new methods on some of the newer tunes I have..... my wed site is linked to my soundclick account.... so the stuff in my dropbox is not available to everyone unless you have that specific link. I need to figure out if there is a way to link to those accounts...... maybe later.

but there's a few more options for you.... ones that I consider to be a bit more private than the soundclick/cloud accounts.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thanks everyone. I haven't heard a compelling reason to switch from Click to Cloud but I'll check into dropbox.
SD

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Why one or the other? A whole bunch of people have their songs on many of those data-dump type pages.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Is not SoundCloud the new default for BIAB since version 2013? PG Music has incorporated SC into the program which greatly simplifies the upload of your tunes.

Off-Topic
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Eddie,
Maybe I'll try holding on to the SoundCloud for a while andd see what come s of it. Thanks.
SD

Off-Topic
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Don,
And there's the "Aha Moment." PG made SoundCloud the default upload site from BIAB (I'd assume from RB as well)so I see a lot of the Forum Friends using it.
I don't think that's going work for me. First, I'm running BB2011 and I probably won't upgrade this year ( I've bought a bunch of other equipment for the studio this year). Second, I always send songs the copyright office before posting to the website.
SD

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: SpaceDog
Don,
....... Second, I always send songs the copyright office before posting to the website.
SD

Noble.... but generally a waste of time and money.

before you blast me out of the water, hear me out.

I've been trying to get some of the big name publishers to listen .... simply listen to my stuff. Do you know how hard that is? In Nashville for example, there are thousands of really good, top level writers. Why would they waste time trying to rip off my stuff? Anyone associated with a claim of theft of songs..... either the publisher or the artist or the writers, do not want to deal with that. Reputation is everything and trust is crucial. None of them are setting there scanning the sound click and cloud sites looking for song ideas from people who have failed to copyright their songs. Seriously, when was the last time you heard about a song being ripped off?

First and foremost, the act of recording the song establishes the copyright for you at that very moment. All the LOC does is certify the date that they got a particular song in their door.

I write lots of tunes and I don't copyright any of them with the USLOC (US Library of Congress) and I sleep well at night. Copyright for every song I have written would be thousands of dollars and who knows if any of them are worth it? So far, nothing I have written has climbed the charts, so I guess not. In the early days of writing, I was super paranoid and had to get the copyright before I would even play something for friends. So I do have a number of songs copyrighted. But now, I don't waste the time or the money to do that.

There's better ways, and I don't mean mail it to yourself certified either.....that doesn't hold up in court.

There are a number of third party companies that do date stamping on your tune when it's uploaded to their secure servers. (Google search for them). I use one that is built in and included with my Masterwriter Software called Songuard. A court order is required to get anything OUT of the server. It's quick and easy and cheap to put stuff in. So I can even register small ideas that are not yet songs. I also register my guitar parts that I put on other people's songs. When you're paying pennies as opposed to $45 a pop on LOC copyright, you can do that. Yeah I know you can copyright collections for one fee with LOC.

Next.... you are aware, I'm sure, that every computer and every internet server like Soundclick and Sound Cloud do date stamping on every file they create or store. Look at your song in PROPERTIES.

Next, if, and when a publisher or library decides to pick up and sign your song to their catalog, they would actually prefer it to be non-copyrighted by you. They will complete and pay for the copyright for you when they sign it. All you do is sign the song to them and give them your CAE/IPI number.

I work with one library owner in particular who asked me not to copyright my stuff because as busy as he is, he doesn't wish to waste time amending copyrights of copyrighted songs. If you don't trust your publisher or library owner to be totally honest in their dealings, ask yourself why you would want to do business with them.

Any way... that's my 2.5 cents

BTW: I always do include the words COPYRIGHT 2013 BY ME

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 09/10/13 10:28 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Herb,
Thanks. I read your entire post. I appreciate you taking the time to explain things so thoroughly. I had to look up CAE/IPI number. Do you find it worthwhile to registered with the Performer Rights Organizations like ASCPA, BMI or SESAC?

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Hey Herb, Thanks for that post. Seems very reasonable.

Wonder what you think of including the date vs. leaving it off. I had someone tell me to leave off the copyright notice entirely or at least leave off the date because you risk dating your songs. Yeah, I know it is unlikely anyone is gonna pick up my song anyway but just in case they were to consider me would it hurt me to show a song is 5 years old (or older)? His point was publishers already understand copyright and know your song is copyrighted even without the notice so it could do more harm than good.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,605
Posts735,009
Members38,513
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Juan Jose, BroDon, Xtian, michael07716, Ronsei
38,512 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 186