Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I'll start the ball rolling.
In 1975. with the imminent arrival of our first child I sold up as I was getting disenchanted with the Music Business and sure - we needed the money.
I sold my 62 sunburst Strat (that I had bought new) for c£200.
My Harmony 75 (see avatar) ditto for half of that and my 1964 AC30/6 Twin Top Boost for about £200 too. With all the other bits of kit - Meazzi echo etc etc I reckon I got maybe £600.
Today they would sell for Thousands of pounds, especially the Vox amp.

Whos' next?
Ian

Old Guys Rule.The older I get,the better I was!
BB2023 ULTRA, 1013, Win 7 and 10

ALL TRACKS - https://app.box.com/s/501rnzrbadng1elvi45hbf7y08kl5oxp
SOUNDCLOUD-tracks using BB-
http://soundcloud.com/sixchannel
Videos-
https://youtube.com/user/Sixchannel1
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Too numerous to count here, Ian.

But I must say that as a journeyman in the craft, I don't tend to have too much of an emotional hangup over tools, I tend to use 'em when I have 'em, use 'em well if I possibly can, and don't look back nor lament.

I do get a laff when I see some piece of old gear, wellworn and used by chaps like myself back when that amp or keyboard or guitar was the thing to use and still in production, selling at a music store, pawn shop or ebay for a price I would not pay to relive that era again. (Which is where a lot of my personally owned older gear actually went... Gotta luvit when considering initial cost plus use and earnings and then being able to sell it for some inflated price today.)

My experience has proven to me time and time again that, within the boundaries of common sense, there is no "magic" instrument, no single piece of gear that without which I cannot get the job done, the "magic" is in the brain and hands of the musician, the performer.

And reality.

Today we have so many great gear choices, the guitar market alone is super-saturated with the finest builds I've ever seen, lowest prices and more is known and mass-produced about what constitutes a "great" guitar than ever before.

The same goes for the amplifiers available today. The "modeling" amps, the solid state amps that cannot be told from valve amps anymore by blindfold playing or listening to them, the copies of all the great old and more expensive brand name guitars, I think we have MORE than ever before along those lines. And lovin' it.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Equipment I wish I had kept:

1-1963 Fender Jaguar
2-1966 Gretsch White Falcon –I had to get rid of this one as the frets were coming of the fretboard and it was brand new!
3-1967 Gretsch Country Gentlemen – this was my favorite guitar of all time
4-1971 Carvin 6/12 double neck
5-1960 Danelectro Bellzouke 12 string
6-1965 (I think-around there anyway - CRS) Fender Super Reverb
7-1965 (I think-around there anyway - CRS) Dynacord Echocord Super

Plus probably a few more items if I really thought about it.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Anybody here ever owned a Danelectro Electric Sitar, with the bakelite buzz bridge?

A true One Trick Pony that for a few years in its era, was a session cat's "must have".

Glad that's been relegated to the ashbin of history.

Funny, I made mine rather than buy one.

Took an old Sears Silvertone Danny U1, with the "kind of" Les Paul body shape in ugly brown spraypaint and the single lipstick pup, pulled the original rosewood bridge off and fashioned a piece of bakelite from the case of a 50's table radio into a buzz bridge, hey, we weren't doing video, we were tasked with trackin' jingles, underscores and other assorted bits of whatever.

I'll bet if one of the originals is still hangin' around, it would draw a crowd on ebay...

--Mac

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I had an old Epiphone (late 50's early 60's) era archtop with a single coil pup - that had raised sections on the bar instead of individual pole pieces. It had bakelite knobs on it with stripes molded into the knobs. It was given to me by the choir director of the choir I sang in and ran sound in. I was 16. It had rusty old strings, missing the top E and I was stupid and didn't know one could change strings so easily. I passed it by, gave it back to the guy. Stupid!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Kinda wish I still had everything I've ever owned except that Fender Rhodes piano. (good riddance)

No, not quite....I'm kidding about wishing I still had it all..... there were some things I don't miss, like that Ampeg VT-212 (not sure that's the model number) but that little combo amp was HEAVY..... I replaced it with a Carvin with half the power and 1-12" speaker and it was much lighter and way louder with better tone. That Carvin was one I wish I still had. It had a unique 2 channel setup. There were 3 inputs for guitar.... 1 was a clean channel that could shatter glass, the 3rd was a distortion channel that could shred speaker cones, and the 2nd input in the middle was a split input. You could blend the 2 different channels like a mixer would do. Most amps have a choice of either clean or distortion, not the blend of both. I still have a plastic box with a few pre-amp chips for that amp. It had the bad habit of blowing the input on the distortion channel every so often and at the most inopportune times...... so I'd be jamming in a solo on stage and had that smoking sound going on when suddenly it would go crystal clean..... Carvin was kind enough to send me a bunch of those chips so I could replace them myself. 5 minutes to do the swap.

Since the Carvin 1-12" with 50w was good, I thought their version of the mesa boogie with a 12" EV and 100w would be even better..... nope.... that thing was literally too loud even with the half power setting.... I sold it and bought a real Mesa Boogie with 22 watts.... still got that one.

PA gear and speaker cabinets.... I'd love to have some of that gear but since I stopped gigging and doing live shows, there was no need to keep it. I had 2 lab series guitar cabs.... 4x12's those babies would move some air....I used them several bands through the years and last in a house band and when I quit that band I sold them to a buddy of mine. They were nice.

The PA was some factory made folded "W" cabinets loaded with a pair each of 12" EVM speakers with 17 lb magnets. A pair of 15" midrange horns and a pair of 1" throat JBL fiberglass horns rounded it out. Several thousand watts of power in a tri-amped rack put the thump on the floor, or outside, or wherever we found ourselves gigging. A 16 channel board and some outboard gear completed the FOH rig. Sold it to a band that had just won the Wrangler Country showdown nationals and came home with $50k, a recording contract, and needing a PA some kind of bad. The PA I had was a kicking system and since I was in a house gig with a PA supplied to us, mine was collecting dust. Fresh paint on the cabs....sold to the band with the cash in hand. Sad story about what happened to that band over the following year..... just sad. Our house band stayed together longer and made more money, and didn't have to drive all over the country to do it.

Still got my 69 Gibson SG I bought way back in 1972. It needs a fret job but for now, that has to wait. One day it will be done.

My old Harmony guitar.... for sentimental reasons. 2nd guitar I owned and the first half way decent one.

Another guitar I wish I still had was my Gibson "The Paul" I bought when my SG was stolen the first time. That guitar had some hot pickups and sounded really good. It got sold somewhere along the way.

several more things but mostly..... yeah, not worth talking about. They're gone...and I'm not missing them at all.

I now have 2 keyboards (electronic), 4 guitars (2 acoustic, 2 electric), and 2 amps. A few mics, an old 800w stereo power amp, and that's about it.....not counting the studio gear.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 02/17/14 10:20 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Blond Gibson ES175. Stupid. mad

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Gretsch Country Gentleman #55792. I bought it as my first serious electric guitar in late 1974 but didn't really know what I had. After seeing many beautiful instruments for sale in pawn shops, I made myself a promise long ago that I would never sell an instrument out of need. But (I told myself) some time in the early 80s I really needed that tobacco-burst Strat (which turned out to be a 70s POS), and let go of the Gretsch.

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
One of the ones I miss the most is a 1942 Gibson L5 built for Roy Smeck.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: bobcflatpicker

Don't want you to cry any more - but what a beauty!!
Times must have been hard.
Ian

Videos-
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

I don't feel so bad about selling my Gibson now. grin

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R

Imagine that with a single coil pup (see where the little cutout is in the pick guard?) in the neck position, a couple of bakelite knobs on the thing (or maybe just a volume knob) and that looks pretty dang close to the Epiphone I referred to above.

The photo above has a much nicer case than what I had with the Epi. The case I had was chipboard. The thing did not look nearly as nice as Bob's example. It had lots of 'mojo'. Now it would haul in way more due to that fact. No structural damage that I can recall. Man that was stupid of me to let that go. I didn't even sell it, I refused it!

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
That little single coil pickup MUST be a period D'Armond!

--Mac

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Originally Posted By: Mac
That little single coil pickup MUST be a period D'Armond!

--Mac

Could have been. I do remember that it was a 'bar' style, and instead of individual pole pieces, had raised rectangular sections that sat underneath each string. I have no idea if it was original equipment or not. Like I said, this thing was presented to me in a raggedy chip-board case, with rusty piano wire strings (5 of them) and I did not know how to play at the time. I thought it wasn't cool enough.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I have never even admitted this before but I still think of this guitar and how stupid the kid I was back then to get rid of it . . 1940s Gibson ES 125 Archtop Guitar Acoustic/Electric Sunburst.

Small tear escaping from my eye as I type this.

Later,

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
1962 Ludwig Club Date red lacquer drum set (8 X 12 and 14 X 14 toms, 14 X 20 kick drum, 14 X 3 snare) with special order Zildjian cymbals (matched 14s for high hat, 18 and 22" rides), all hardware and drummer's throne. Ordered through Fox Music Co. in Charleston, SC on my 12th birthday. Paid by gig earnings. (Hard to believe nowadays that music stores would accept custom orders, order merchandise and accept payments from a 12 year old! I think my family may have called beforehand to ensure the deal would go down.)

Everything but the ride cymbals went missing while I was stationed overseas. Still got the rides. Soured me on playing music for a long, long time. Still get a bad taste thinking about it.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
The bright side is that if I were a betting man, I'd bet that ride cymbal is starting to sound purty good long about now. (Thinking about those crazy drummers who used to bury the Zildjians in the backyard...)

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Mac
Anybody here ever owned a Danelectro Electric Sitar, with the bakelite buzz bridge?

A true One Trick Pony that for a few years in its era, was a session cat's "must have".

Glad that's been relegated to the ashbin of history.

Funny, I made mine rather than buy one.

--Mac

It's funny that you should mention the electric sitar, Mac. I saw & heard one for the first time last Sunday night. British Invasion supergroup The Hollies" were in town, and he used the electric sitar in a couple of songs, including "Stop Stop Stop".
Funny thing is that on the original 1960-something recording he used a tenor banjo. Or maybe that was just on the You Tube clip.

Cheers,
Keith
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Keith from Oz
British Invasion supergroup The Hollies" were in town, and he used the electric sitar in a couple of songs, including "Stop Stop Stop".
Funny thing is that on the original 1960-something recording he used a tenor banjo. Or maybe that was just on the You Tube clip.

Keith
It certainly was a banjo - and masses of slapback echo!!
Cheers
Ian

Videos-
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
New both the 18" & 22" had a similiar tone wiith the 22" having more substain. Through the decades the tones have diverged as the 18" has kept the same tone but the 22" tone is darker.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,612
Posts735,097
Members38,515
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose, BroDon
38,515 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185