Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#285784 02/26/15 08:06 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I don't know if this might be useful to anybody, but I thought it was an interesting article.

http://nofilmschool.com/2013/06/free-music-film-moby-mobygratis

The thought that film makers can't get music, and music makers can't get into films seems incomprehensible to me. Surely there's some way to get people matched up!!

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Just a thought, maybe it is a case of music writers writing music for films the film makers don't want to make, and conversely, the film makers are making films that the writers don't want to write music for.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Pat.
I started a website a while back www.custommusicforyoutube.com to try and get into this. Haven't had any responses yet but then I guess I haven't really been marketing it!! (been busy with other stuff). I think there is definitely potential especially for BIAB composers in indie films as it does not take very much effort to custom make a track.

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
In the same sense that PGMusic is a Canadian company that makes software for rapid development of music, there is also a Canadian company that makes software for the rapid development of animation/films. The company is TOONBOOM

Like PGMusic, they have a user forum. Like PGMusic, their users are rabidly devoted to the company and the product. I've often thought that one way to get an insider position for making music for other peoples' videos might be to join the TOONBOOM forum and participate as a music provider who wants collaborations.

Their user base appears to be a good mix of amateurs, self actualized content creators, animation sub-contractors, all the way up to pro level animators. Bottom line, there would be more likelihood of collaborating than there would be of getting a major film opportunity.

And since a lot of these people are trying to break into the big time, there's the chance you might form a relationship with somebody who gets a break later.

If nothing else, you might get some practice... and some helpful advice from people who know the differences between what film makers need and what the pop music world needs.

In my opinion, BIAB and TOONBOOM are a natural alliance. If you like making videos for your music, you might even consider buying one of TOONBOOMS products. That would position you even better on their user forum, because you'd also be a user of their product.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Pat...

I think you will find this interesting... they'll be able to do it themselves... no musical knowledge required...

https://vimeo.com/104488077?from=facebook

the website:
http://scoremusicinteractive.com/#anchor-u327

(though, I expect it will be pricey...)

Last edited by floyd jane; 02/27/15 05:53 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
WOW! That is VERY cool!

ESPECIALLY the way they make it so convenient to add hits and special effects at exactly the right place in the time line!

But, reason with me here:
We all know how the "SNOOTY" factor keeps some people from using BIAB. If there is any group on the planet that's more snooty than musicians, it would have to be film makers. I have a hard time seeing that community embracing an automated solution that gets equal billing with their human creativity. They can afford symphonies.

This product would be a good fit for indie film makers and the basic crowd that uses TOONBOOM products... but if it turns out being too expensive, that crowd may be priced out of the market.

Or not, hard to tell. Some of TOONBOOM's products are already pricey. (I'd bet that the sample movie was created in one of TOONBOOMs products... it looks like demos I've seen on their site )

DEFINITELY a cool product, and I thank you for making me aware of it... if fo no other reason, so I am prepared to answer objections based on its existence and availability to people I might be pitching.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
another consideration is that collaborations tend to be attractive to people who either don't want to invest in the time or money to acquire new capabilities. There will always be people who would rather strike a deal with somebody who knows how to do what they need. And forums where film makers hang out are probably the best place to look for collaborators.

Also, that product isn't available yet. All of you already have years invested in learning a mature product to deliver original music TODAY.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Pat...

I think you will find this interesting... they'll be able to do it themselves... no musical knowledge required...

the website:

That is completely AMAZING. Especially that they will fingerprint the piece and it will not be generated again. I must say I wonder how similar another piece with the same keyword (ie Fantasy) will be....

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
They problem I see with this software is that you are at the mercy of the algorithms. I do not see a place to input your chord structure. But I do like the idea of adding more instruments, much like the old Jammer program. I wish PGMusic would open up the other dedicated channels so the user can do whatever they wish with them.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: JosieC
Hi Pat.
I started a website a while back www.custommusicforyoutube.com to try and get into this. Haven't had any responses yet but then I guess I haven't really been marketing it!! (been busy with other stuff). I think there is definitely potential especially for BIAB composers in indie films as it does not take very much effort to custom make a track.

Joanne,

That's a cool idea, and my guess is that the main reason it isn't doing anything is because there's no way to get people to the site.

You perform live on a regular basis, and therefore you have an opportunity to advertise in person.

It has been my experience that people are quick to laugh... especially at others. One look at the greeting card section in your local store and you get the idea that our culture uses special occasions like birthdays, retirements, graduations, babies, weddings, etc etc to touch base in a humorous way.

If you let people at your gigs know that you can provide funny songs about their friends, grandchildren, etc.. and the price is right... I think you could find that you can't keep up with the demand... especially after you get the first one or two out there and word of mouth advertising takes off.

I tried this many years ago with cartoons, and got overwhelmed pretty quickly. It doesn't generate the kind of money to live on, so I stopped and focused on making a living. But as a retirement or 2nd income, it can be fun and (depending on how you price the product) it can generate income if you resist the urge to give it away.

Bottom line, by playing live you have already established credibility as a real person (something that's lacking on a web site). If you talk about it and give funny examples, you may be surprised how many people out there have somebody they want to tease. Or a business they want to promote.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD
They problem I see with this software is that you are at the mercy of the algorithms. I do not see a place to input your chord structure. But I do like the idea of adding more instruments, much like the old Jammer program. I wish PGMusic would open up the other dedicated channels so the user can do whatever they wish with them.

I think the reason why they don't let you input the chords is because they've already decided what patterns sound suspenseful or mysterious or romantic... and in a way that's part of the appeal to somebody who doesn't want to know what chords or musical approaches yield certain emotional reactions.

PGMusic could do the same thing by introducing cinematic styles that contain keywords like "suspense" or "Romance" in the description. Also they could introduce a series of sound effects that are especially useful in the same application, like the way the demo showed accents being added to line up with action scenes in the video. Hits, splashes, explosions, etc.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Excellent points Pat!

As you well know you can take on genre style and use it in other genres, for instance a country ballad style used as a jazz ballad style, so I'm not sure that those keywords would be appropriate in all cases. However it is a good idea to expand those keywords to include as much detail as possible.

I use either OrangeFree Sounds, http://www.orangefreesounds.com/
or freesound, http://www.freesound.org/
for my sound effects. They are free and easily inserted in and DAW.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:
I use either OrangeFree Sounds, http://www.orangefreesounds.com/
or freesound, http://www.freesound.org/
for my sound effects. They are free and easily inserted in and DAW.

Thanks Mario! These are getting book marked!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Pat...

the website:

Floyd
Thanks for bringing awareness. This is really a sensational application with amazing possibilities. Maybe the end user market is a little limited, but it certainly has its place.
Yes, I'm also wondering about the pricing structure...
Thanks
Trevor

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD

Hi Mario
Thanks for the links to the sound effects. Have been looking for something like that. I think the users of this software may not know (or rather care) about chord structures/keys/tempos etc. That is the beauty. The filmmaker doesn't have to know much he just chooses what sounds good.

Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
"... they'll be able to do it themselves... no musical knowledge required..." and "The filmmaker doesn't have to know much he just chooses what sounds good."
Both of these statements reveal serious limitations of this product.

In the arena of higher end films, the art and craft of background mood/theme music is firmly established and the libraries feeding the industry is also staffed by people highly skilled in their craft. I would be surprised these industry artists and craftsmen storm to a generic, very limited software that only provides control over a theme'd sound created by unknown person's definition of the theme.

This product seems directed toward the filmmaker who doesn't know much or the amateur videographer.

As cool as this product is, Band in A Box is much better suited to provide a higher quality, unique theme than what this product is trying to create. And, nearly as painlessly!

Combining RealBand, the song creator, melody maker and soloist features. Instrumentals can be created in stages within RB that has each stage independently marked using markers. Each stage can have its own style, and tempo. Measures with dialog that have either underlying background music or no music can be marked as a stage.

So, for example, it is easy to create a 10 minute independent film with 4 distinct themes in the video without a lot of musical knowledge. Combining the various elements of the above BB features to quickly create, add new instruments and use volume automation, create your first theme with song maker, melody maker and soloist. Repeat for the other three themes and one does not have to know a lot about music to create a theme track for a film.

Last edited by c_fogle; 03/01/15 05:47 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,623
Posts735,194
Members38,520
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
DanyLevy, Arnav Singh, vasilich, maxrob61, TonyInManchester
38,519 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185