Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Forum Moderators: If this post violates forum policy or if you feel it does not meet the goals of the forum please feel free to remove this post from the forum.

Step onto the soapbox and clear voice:

I belong to several forums dedicated to fixing or extending the life of the electronic stuff we all collect, use and dispose of when the stuff quits working. I have read many forum postings of users describing audio interfaces, media players or other electronic things that have been abandoned for whatever reason.

A campaign is underway to pass legislation at both the state and federal levels to make manufacturers provide the public with the same resources (videos, replacement parts, service manuals, illustrated part breakdowns, etc.) that are typically provided to repair service centers.

If you are interested in learning more, please click on ++ THIS ++ link and ++ THIS ++ link.

Thank you for reading this and PG Music for allowing me the opportunity to share this information with you.

Step off of soapbox.

Last edited by Jim Fogle; 02/04/17 09:19 AM. Reason: Added 2nd link

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I agree with the concept but I can see a problem. That is when electronic companies make the schematics and parts available will they be exposing some of their patented ideas? Don't know.

But regardless I am all for the right to repair and I hope that it becomes a national law.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Hi

I do agree but these days it is a problem
With SMT surface mounted components to fix thing down to component level ,gone are the days when you could solder in a new resistor etc you now need thousands of pounds worth of reflow equipment .
So such repairs would be down to board swapping and therefore relatively expensive.
You can get SMT rework hot air solder tools but I would not care to use on an expensive say processor.

Having said that I too do what I can if spares and schematics are available.
I have been in Electronics since the days of building crystal sets and valve triode voltage controlled oscillators for keyboards long before semiconductors and chips where even thought of.
Ah the good old days

Good luck
Mike

BIAB2021 UltraPlus,AsusN55S1Tbssd, W10/64,Akai EIEpro
Yamaha CVP405,SquireStrat, CoolsoftVMidSynth
Novatation Impulse61 Ctr kbd, Cwalk blab Kontakt

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/
Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
<< "... I can see a problem. That is when electronic companies make the schematics and parts available will they be exposing some of their patented ideas? Don't know." >>

The bottom line is that repairability is a case by case basis.

Most of their patents will be hidden inside of proprietary chips and a schematic will only show a box/triangle with pin outs. Chips are not user serviceable and have to be replaced as a single unit. Schematics with proprietary circuits are usually brackets around a blank area with text that unit has to return to the factory but provide a shop or service center with details of supporting circuits and test points.

Regarding SMT component repairs, Mike is correct at the repair shop level where it is a daily chore and a warranty on a repair may be an issue. SMT components are user serviceable in many cases and techniques are available to the repair hobbyist doing occasional repairs on their own equipment. Equipment is not that expensive at that level and of course, not every SMT component will be successfully replaceable.

While schematics are desirable, they are not entirely necessary. A service manual and block diagram many times will suffice. If a service manual or block diagram is not available, a technician can troubleshoot a board by ID'ing the major chips with data sheets.

Getting replacement chips can be a problem but many failures are minor issues that can be repaired without having to deal with the major chips. Cold solder joints are a major and significant failure point in today's electronic panels that can be repaired with no parts having to be replaced. Very common issue. Voltage spikes are also very common causes of equipment failure and usually contained to the power supply circuit. These components are usually not SMT, and also not normally any type of proprietary component but rather easily obtainable common components.

Power supply circuits many times have circuitry designed for voltage protection such as fuses, inductors and Mov's. These are designed to fail quickly during a voltage spike or surge and are easily replaceable

Some components on a board are simply SMT versions of common chips. 555's and 386's, and common op amps such as 741 and many others are found. Since you are working on your own equipment, many times these type chips can be replaced with regular chips rather than SMT units. It's not always an option for a variety of reasons but more times than not it is possible in my experience.

To rely on government legislation to provide resources (videos, replacement parts, service manuals, illustrated parts breakdowns, etc.) that are typically provided to repair service centers is rarely likely to be a benefit to the consumer in its final version. In the long run, it may turn out to be more restrictive than beneficial.

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Off-Topic
T
Journeyman
Journeyman
T
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
Forum Moderators: If this post violates forum policy or if you feel it does not meet the goals of the forum please feel free to remove this post from the forum.

Step onto the soapbox and clear voice:

I belong to several forums dedicated to fixing or extending the life of the electronic stuff we all collect, use and dispose of when the stuff quits working. I have read many forum postings of users describing audio interfaces, media players or other electronic things that have been abandoned for whatever reason.

A campaign is underway to pass legislation at both the state and federal levels to make manufacturers provide the public with the same resources (videos, replacement parts, service manuals, illustrated part breakdowns, etc.) that are typically provided to repair service centers.

If you are interested in learning more, please click on ++ THIS ++ link and ++ THIS ++ link.

Thank you for reading this and PG Music for allowing me the opportunity to share this information with you.

Step off of soapbox.

Why stop at repair information for electronics? We need the same for cars, lawn mowers, sex toys, RV's, appliances, houses, lazyboy furniture, soapboxes, etc etc. Just think of the job creation for lawyers and bureaucrats.

Tony

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
For ALL the reasons Charlie mentioned, and without even getting into why I do not want the government involved (you, we, all, all ready rely way too much on the government to wipe our noses now - we don’t need more)

Would this new regulation require manufactures (mfg's) to stock more (TBD how many) parts (as well as videos, TX materials, documents, etc.), for the out years because, besides their standard supply chain projections, they now have to project some unknown percent of end-item consumers (read: us) that will demand, at some indeterminate future point in time, access to these parts ?

What percentage (of users and of parts)? For how long must they stock them? How much additional storage space do these mfg's now need for the sum total of these parts? How long do they need to keep sub-contractor and other parts supplier contracts open for the production of specialized, but (now) otherwise obsolete chips, parts, etc.

And scores and scores of similar questions.

Because of the need to keep (for some TBD length of time) extra (possibly never needed) parts, contracts, suppliers, storage, etc. on hand - ALL of that adds overhead and cost thus adding to cost of the end-item - which we'd all complain about; there is no reason the mfg should "absorb" this additional cost - (OWS production (no)knowledgeable and economic mental midgets aside).

Last edited by Larry Kehl; 02/04/17 03:54 PM.

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I would imagine such a regulation would first require a manufacturer to declare a product to be discontinued and no longer supported. Perhaps then they could open up the support info to the public. But Mario's caution about revealing proprietary info still holds, and I wouldn't be surprised if companies dropped official support on products even faster as a result.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
At about the time I was learning electronics.... in a tech school teaching TV and Radio repair..... the industry was moving from discrete, field replaceable components, towards board swapping.

Now, we have software running everything from the computers, phones, and TV's to cars, refrigerators, coffee makers and toasters.

I saw sometime back, that one of the car makers was suing to keep people from being shade tree mechanics claiming that self repairs were a violation and infringement of their software copyright or some such garbage.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
I would imagine such a regulation would first require a manufacturer to declare a product to be discontinued and no longer supported. Perhaps then they could open up the support info to the public. But Mario's caution about revealing proprietary info still holds, and I wouldn't be surprised if companies dropped official support on products even faster as a result.

If companies announced that they were going to maximize profits by dropping support for their products, people would freak out, demonize them and jump ship.

But if they started a grass roots movement encouraging people to "fight for the right" to absorb the responsibility of fixing their own purchases, they would be seen as benefactors to the people, and praised when they finally admitted "defeat" and turned the reins over to their customers.

I see a movie plot here. ;-)

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD
I agree with the concept but I can see a problem. That is when electronic companies make the schematics and parts available will they be exposing some of their patented ideas? Don't know.

But regardless I am all for the right to repair and I hope that it becomes a national law.

That's easy and accounted for in legislation submitted to date. If something is patented, patent protection still applies.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Tony Wright
Why stop at repair information for electronics? We need the same for cars, lawn mowers, sex toys, RV's, appliances, houses, lazyboy furniture, soapboxes, etc etc. Just think of the job creation for lawyers and bureaucrats. Tony

The legislation would apply to mechanical devices as well as electronic devices. In fact, automotive repair is given as an example. A law in one state forced automakers to make service information available to anyone willing to pay for it. That is now true nationwide in the US.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Larry Kehl
For ALL the reasons Charlie mentioned, and without even getting into why I do not want the government involved (you, we, all, all ready rely way too much on the government to wipe our noses now - we don’t need more)

Would this new regulation require manufactures (mfg's) to stock more (TBD how many) parts (as well as videos, TX materials, documents, etc.), for the out years because, besides their standard supply chain projections, they now have to project some unknown percent of end-item consumers (read: us) that will demand, at some indeterminate future point in time, access to these parts ?

What percentage (of users and of parts)? For how long must they stock them? How much additional storage space do these mfg's now need for the sum total of these parts? How long do they need to keep sub-contractor and other parts supplier contracts open for the production of specialized, but (now) otherwise obsolete chips, parts, etc.

And scores and scores of similar questions.

Because of the need to keep (for some TBD length of time) extra (possibly never needed) parts, contracts, suppliers, storage, etc. on hand - ALL of that adds overhead and cost thus adding to cost of the end-item - which we'd all complain about; there is no reason the mfg should "absorb" this additional cost - (OWS production (no)knowledgeable and economic mental midgets aside).

Manufacturers would still do business as they currently do. Consumers would still purchase from retailers and distributors as they currently do. The difference is if a consumer approaches a business entity to obtain product parts or information the entity doesn't have to worry about the manufacturer punishing the business entity.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I wish I had saved every "No User Serviceable Parts Inside" stickers I've removed. I should make a T-Shirt like that.
But, I'd have to vote against legislation such as this. I tear my jeans and Levi Straus should not have to give me sewing lesson.
However, I do agree with OBD, OBD11, and CAN as it prevents auto manufactures from using proprietary diagnostic and service techniques for emission/polution control repair jobs.
Perhaps most of the things we purchase, say, a TV, cell phone, computer, wah pedal are sold as a unit, one single device. And, (I think) that's what the patent for. If "it" or part of "it" stops working then the unit is bad. The warranty agreement might give the manufacturer the option to repair or replace. After the warranty I have the option to get another, live without the product or crack it open and re-melt a few solder blobs on the PC board.

Does the noise in your head bother me ?
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,622
Posts735,187
Members38,518
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Arnav Singh, vasilich, maxrob61, TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01
38,518 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185