Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I would love to try my hand at it but have no clue as to how, who, or where.

I have some suitable tracks but don't know how to proceed.

Anyone know?

Donny

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
HI Donny

Well that is a big ask.
There is no reason why you cant create a series of musical clips/songs in BIAB and REALBAND
But working to a video timeline or story board is something else.

You could write your clips to suit you scene lengths if you know them. by working out the play time from the BPM and Tempo I guess.

But to write one long evolving song that would change on cue would be quite a task.
A lot of work would have to be done in the video editing prog in trimming both the audio which will be noticeable, far better to trim the video as the eye is more tolerant than the ear.
Much depends on exactly what you mean by soundtrack.
A generic film score with no particular video in mind so no hard scene changes to cope with, can be just a long evolving type song production probably best done in the unfolded mode.
Background music for a home video could be done this way.

But a sound track for an action movie with lots of quick cuts would be something else.

It is always a bit of a chicken and egg thing which comes first, the video to which you fit the music,
Or the music to which you fit the video.
You don’t say what movie editing software you would be using.

You may be interested in something I done like this.
I used multiple instances of Kontakt 5 to record tracks in Sona (you could use Realband) and created the movie in windows movie maker from a collection of images.
You can read my notes on this and see the movie on the front page of my web site.
It is called TOWARDS THE LIGHT just scroll down my home page.
Link to my web site below.
Hope you find this of interest. smile
Mike

BIAB2021 UltraPlus,AsusN55S1Tbssd, W10/64,Akai EIEpro
Yamaha CVP405,SquireStrat, CoolsoftVMidSynth
Novatation Impulse61 Ctr kbd, Cwalk blab Kontakt

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
King Arthur The Epilogue

First I apologise to any ardent Rick Wakeman fans out there.
This is not in any way supposed to be my version of his work, more a question of inspired by.

Ever since hearing the album Myths And Legends of King Arthur by Rick way back in 1975 (I think) Two melodic phrases have haunted me, every time I see Tintagle Castle, or walk below Glastonbury Tower, with the low mist swirling beneath my feet; they play back in my brain.

Holy Cow, you and me both brother. RW's series of musical art pieces caught my attention, then and always, as some of the most brilliant music of my time. Your "epilogue" brought it all back. Well Done. grin

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Holy Cow - again. Just spent some time on Mike's web site. Very impressed. Mike, Your music tells a lot about you and I feel like I got to know you a wee bit. Thanks for sharing so much. And welcome to the Forum.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
HI Dan

Thank you for your nice comments glad you enjoyed your visit.

Don’t want to hijack Donny’s thread here but I hope it spurs him on to follow his dreams and give it a go by whatever means, and software he has available.
A lot of it can be in the mind I had no video for King Arthur just images and memories that flowed in my brain while I worked on the music.
This can be an easier approach. As it leaves more room to develop the music.

Mike

BIAB2021 UltraPlus,AsusN55S1Tbssd, W10/64,Akai EIEpro
Yamaha CVP405,SquireStrat, CoolsoftVMidSynth
Novatation Impulse61 Ctr kbd, Cwalk blab Kontakt

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Don,
it may be worth asking what you mean by "a movie sound track"

If you mean suitable mood music for a home video or photo collage, then BIAB is pretty much the perfect one-stop shop for any mood you might need to match your video.

But if you mean background music for a more cinematic movie... one that requires appropriate themes for chase scenes, suspenseful moments, love scenes, dream sequences, comic relief, opening and closing credits etc... BIAB is not exactly overflowing with such styles.

You might consider using the style maker to create your own cinema-ready patterns. Or, there are some very good loop companies that specialize in cinematic sound. Here's one I like, and they happen to be having a sale at the moment:

https://www.bluezone-corporation.com/formats/wav-samples-download

unfortunately, a lot of this is sound effects more than thematic bits and pieces.

I kind of wish that PGMusic would jump on the cinematic music bandwagon to support the ever-growing number of people who are empowered to make films due to the abundance of such software. But so far, they have ignored this market niche altogether.

Off-Topic
w Offline
Expert
Expert

Hi Mike,

" Towards the Light 0002 "is a fantastic composition. Brilliantly scored and magically presented . For me it was somewhat an eerie composition not only hearing the music but also watching in anticipation the visions you presented from frame to frame.

Thanks for sharing and providing the technical information for the tech geeks in the crowd.

I prefer to work with Steinberg's Mac software and and their VSInstruments in view of the fact they were the creators and pioneers of VS-Technology. I have been using Steinberg's Mac software for more than 30 years.

Mac Audiophile 2020 2019 2018 2017 USB plus previous years versions

macOS Mojave - 10.14.6 @ Aug 16, 2019

iMac i3 3.6 GHz 8GB RAM 4K with Retina display

some examples @ sound cloud done with Mac Band and DAW's : https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Donny, you mentioned that you have some suitable tracks, so that's certainly a great starting point.

Here are my tips that I hope would help get you started.

Create a Story Board. It needs to describe what each part of the video presents to the viewer and what you need/intend to deliver 'musically' for various parts of the video.

Decide if you need to treat the music that goes with the video as one continuous musical phrase or in several different segments to match different scenes, etc.

Timing and Feel are important.

Set BiaB with the a tempo that matches the mood and feel of your vision.

Set the correct number of bars to match that segment, if required.

Don't be afraid to change tempo's and style to create a better fit for certain scenes. An audience needs variety, and will become bored if there is a lack of variance.

Decide on the use of dynamics to emphasize particular scenes, and use F5 to adjust volumes Up/Down accordingly.

Also consider how you can create tension by lifting the volume of only certain instruments (maybe only bass, maybe drums).

Use fills in BiaB with Part Markers to add further emphasis.

Don't believe that the music has to be continuous throughout the vision. Breaks in sound where music is not important can work too, especially as this allows you to introduce new musical phrases to enhance / support changes in scenes etc.

Create further tension by bringing in the music a few seconds before the next scene begins. This adds anticipation.

I presume you will export to Wav or similar and then add these musical phrases with a video editing program, or use some similar technique.

Don't expect to get it right first time. Review what you have created, and don't be afraid to be critical of your achievements, and to make adjustments/improvements along the way if you consider this necessary.

Hope these are of some use.

Trev

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
See why I love this "family" of friends!?

I can ask a boneheaded question without fear of being flamed. Other sites seem to lay in ambush waiting for an opportunity to shoot others' ideas down.

However, one site gave some great advice stating that I will require two separate agents, one for the music, and one for the video. There seems to be a industry separation between the two. Not that one agent can't handle both, but I would have to submit everything twice.

Donny

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Donny, you mentioned that you have some suitable tracks, so that's certainly a great starting point.

Here are my tips that I hope would help get you started.

Create a Story Board. It needs to describe what each part of the video presents to the viewer and what you need/intend to deliver 'musically' for various parts of the video.

Decide if you need to treat the music that goes with the video as one continuous musical phrase or in several different segments to match different scenes, etc.

Timing and Feel are important.

Set BiaB with the a tempo that matches the mood and feel of your vision.

Set the correct number of bars to match that segment, if required.

Don't be afraid to change tempo's and style to create a better fit for certain scenes. An audience needs variety, and will become bored if there is a lack of variance.

Decide on the use of dynamics to emphasize particular scenes, and use F5 to adjust volumes Up/Down accordingly.

Also consider how you can create tension by lifting the volume of only certain instruments (maybe only bass, maybe drums).

Use fills in BiaB with Part Markers to add further emphasis.

Don't believe that the music has to be continuous throughout the vision. Breaks in sound where music is not important can work too, especially as this allows you to introduce new musical phrases to enhance / support changes in scenes etc.

Create further tension by bringing in the music a few seconds before the next scene begins. This adds anticipation.

I presume you will export to Wav or similar and then add these musical phrases with a video editing program, or use some similar technique.

Don't expect to get it right first time. Review what you have created, and don't be afraid to be critical of your achievements, and to make adjustments/improvements along the way if you consider this necessary.

Hope these are of some use.

Trev

Ta, Trev!

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
Don,
it may be worth asking what you mean by "a movie sound track"

If you mean suitable mood music for a home video or photo collage, then BIAB is pretty much the perfect one-stop shop for any mood you might need to match your video.

But if you mean background music for a more cinematic movie... one that requires appropriate themes for chase scenes, suspenseful moments, love scenes, dream sequences, comic relief, opening and closing credits etc... BIAB is not exactly overflowing with such styles.

You might consider using the style maker to create your own cinema-ready patterns. Or, there are some very good loop companies that specialize in cinematic sound. Here's one I like, and they happen to be having a sale at the moment:

https://www.bluezone-corporation.com/formats/wav-samples-download

unfortunately, a lot of this is sound effects more than thematic bits and pieces.

I kind of wish that PGMusic would jump on the cinematic music bandwagon to support the ever-growing number of people who are empowered to make films due to the abundance of such software. But so far, they have ignored this market niche altogether.

Thanks for your highly respected input, Pat. I've really enjoyed your cartoon work.

I had thought that I would jump in at the proverbial "deep end" and try a movie soundtrack. I have since learned that I am not qualified for obvious reasons. I sincerely believe that BIAB is sufficiently robust but not quite up to the task yet.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Who cares about "qualifed"? Biab was created to allow us unqualified composers to create something. The big deal with a soundtrack is it has to be coordinated with the video. The "easiest" way is like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_5Cka5FYRk

In the studio with a live orchestra being conducted by a person who's watching the movie live. The music has already been written with all the scenes in mind but the conductor still has to tweak the tempos, pauses and entrances to make it all match up perfectly. And, he probably still misses in a few places which is where all of our magical editing tools come in. A little time stretching here or there, maybe insert a second or two of silence and it's right on.

Obviously none of us have any of this to work with. You can still have some fun and experiment. Take a simple little five minute video of a single mountain or cityscape scene or something and work up a five minute Biab song to go with it. Then move on by adding a second scene and do something with that.

When you have the vid and the music they have to be merged together and that takes an audio/video program. Windows has Movie Maker built in and it works well enough, check it out. For more elaborate videos you have to spend some cash to get a better program like Vegas Studio for example. I checked it out some time ago and like anything else, it's expensive and very complex. Basically you see the video on the top of your screen and the audio on the bottom and you use various tools to match them up just like you see the conductor doing in the vid I posted.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Don Gaynor

I had thought that I would jump in at the proverbial "deep end" and try a movie soundtrack. I have since learned that I am not qualified for obvious reasons. I sincerely believe that BIAB is sufficiently robust but not quite up to the task yet.

what??? who says you aren't qualified? There's a lot of demand for cinematic music right now... even if you never place anything with a major studio, there are lots of hobbyists making movies, and they all need music. You know how to make music. What other qualifications would you need?

regarding the 2nd part of your post... I do think that BIAB is "up to the task" especially since film scoring would likely be MIDI intensive, and BIAB started out as a MIDI focused bit of software.

At present BIAB doesn't have a lot of cinematic styles that are ready to plug N play... but with a little time spent in stylemaker that could change

A lot of cinematic music is built on highly repetitive patterns, so you wouldn't even have to make much more than a few measures of a pattern. Listen to some movie themes on youtube and you'll very quickly start to hear the recurring patterns I'm talking about.

Best of luck to you in this endeavor, and please keep us posted.

Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Knowing the type and length of the video will affect Biab's ability and use for the audio.

If you are looking for a song to run over a 5 minute home movie as a mood background will elicit different recommendations than an actual soundtrack with sound effects. Biab can do both but each require specific and different approaches and processes.

To quickly demonstrate the first example, which is very, very easy within Biab, follow these instructions:

Access Generate Soundtrack from the Melody Menu....

There you will find you can choose genre, style and more.

Note that you can load demo songs or generate your soundtrack from the existing song that's open

Generate SoundTrack can load and use ANY sgu file.
You will see you can set the whole song, a specific range of bars, the duration tempo, whether to include the count in and fade ins/fade outs. If the song length does not cover the complete length of your video, you can select for your soundtrack song to automatically loop.

If you movie or video requires more than a standard Biab song, varying moods/emotions and sound effects. You would split these sections of your video into their respective lengths and create separate biab sgu songs for each individual section.

Also note that audio sound effects can be imported into Biab, moved to performance tracks and mixed with your Biab generated audio.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,587
Posts734,737
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Krystal Mcclain, Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex
38,500 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 191