I've read several books on the record industry and about copyright. I know a bit also about mechanical if i wanted to use someone else's song on our cd.
What I need advice about is the steps that one takes to create their own publishing company of their own work. We already have the business name that we(My Wife) preforms under, so the next step is to find out the next "How To"
Do I need to register each song with ASCAP or BMI and list my company as the publisher, songwriter and ??? Does the copyright cover everything or just the songwriter?
My wife and have a small body of work and it maybe time to make our first cd but in an industry that has as many twist and turns, I'd like to learn as much as possible before stepping into the swamp.
Another area that we are looking at is making backing tracks, either for our work or pieces in public domain. If we were to go into copyright material from others, do mechanicals cover this area or are there different types of mechanicals for something like backing tracks.
I know that I sometimes get ahead of myself in projects but I thought some info from those here that know far more than i , would save me a world of grief, Thanks for any help. Wyndham