I've been out of the music scene for years, and I didn't know what to expect when I started toying with the idea of gigging again. I presumed that most people who go out for entertainment are younger folks, and that the music I want to play would not appeal to current audiences.

To my surprise, at the last several places I've gone to hear what local bands are doing, the vast majority of the attendees were boomers. And the music being played was oldies!

Granted, there may be a corellation between type of music and the crowd it draws... but the thought occurred to me that the baby boomers are still the largest demographic in the country. If a business can figure out what the boomers want to buy, and make it available, they'll probably make money because there are still plenty of boomers.

With that thought in mind, consider the fact that most of us got started in music when the boomers were young and bored and needed something to do. There were opportunities to play EVERYWHERE in those days, mostly because there were bored boomers everywhere.

But then the boomers got married, stopped going out, and the activity dropped off for musicians.

Well guess what...

This is the beginning of boomer retirement. We're on the threshold of that same group being idle and bored, looking for something to do again. They grew up listening to live bands, it's what they remember doing with their spare time, so many of them will revert back to that same way of spending their spare time.

I'm predicting a wave of renewed interest in live music that appeals to boomers. And THIS time around, the boomers have money.

So, all of us old timers who have been playing in the music room with BIAB, it may be time to dust off the gear (or maybe trade for some lighter gear) and get positioned to make some supplemental retirement income playing music at the places retirees go.