Hey guys. I posted a thread earlier about my brother's old Sony Vaio and nearly gave up on the idea of using it. Tonight I decided to try Ubuntu on it as an OS. Well the damn thing works so far and have downloaded a few apps via its WiFi. The audio and video doesn't seem to have a problem though I haven't migrated any Windows audio/video files yet.

I am tickled pink to finally have the damn thing boot up without any whining about no OS installed. Speaking of whining, I have installed WINE which is an app to be able to use (some) Windows programs on the Linux OS. I haven't dug in very deep but it is apparent that it is not an emulator and that some basic commands must be used to get certain programs to run.

Is anyone familiar with Ubuntu/Linux and willing to give a few tidbits of experience that might not be easily searchable on their website (which is less than aimed at beginners).

I know I won't be able to use many of my main programs on it (like Sonar, Reaper, BIAB, 3D GameStudio, Visual Basic, Word, etc.) but have found versions of Blender, Open Office, text editors, Gimp, etc. available.

As mentioned earlier about the reliability of this unit I would not feel comfortable about using it for gigging but why not use it for something now that it breathes. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

See Personal Bio for system setup

My SoundClick Page