Go To
User Showcase
P
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
Hello Everyone,

I’m Ed Layola, producer / engineer of a small project studio in Santa Barbara CA. My client Jon Coffin and I have just finished his CD titled “Thank You Very Much” just in time for him to distribute to his friends and family for Christmas. The CD includes his original Christmas song “Red Nose Reindeer Dude”.

All but one of the tracks on the CD heavily features BIAB. Jon Coffin agrees that he should be categorized as a “hobbyist” musician and songwriter. I’m sure there are many of you that think of yourselves as “hobbyists” also.

As a producer, BIAB is a valuable tool to save time and money for my clients by not having to hire studio musicians, not to mention rehearsal time required for arranging a piece of music. I’m grateful that some of these expenses ends up in my pocket rather than in the pockets of mediocre local studio musicians. With the advent of “Real Tracks”, Jon Coffin has embraced the sounds created with BIAB. While MIDI tracks are still useful in proper places, you just can’t beat the sound from Real Tracks.

With Jon’s blessing, I created a web page where anyone interested can listen to the tracks on his CD featuring BIAB. Hopefully they will inspire many other “hobbyists” and sway others who are “on the fence” about using BIAB in their production.

Here is the web page link where you can listen to all 9 tracks featuring BIAB.

Jon Coffin BIAB tracks

Just click on the “MP3" next to each song name.

BIAB was mainly used as an arrangement tool. Each instrument was digitally transferred to my Roland VS2480 dry (no effects). Vocals and any acoustic guitar tracks by Jon was added here. Usually 4 to 8 solos tracks were generated and comp’ed in the 2480. All effects you hear were added in the 2480 using various effects units and on-board effects card. Mixing was on the 2480 and the mastering was done on the Alesis Masterlink and Sound Forge 10.

I’m hoping to hear comments about these tracks. I’ll be glad to answer any questions you might have.

Thank you for your interest and I look forward to hearing from you

Ed Layola

-----------------------

Track details . . . As best as I can recover :

All vocals by Jon Coffin

Song Name : Honky Tonky Hellcat
Style : Real Track / _CNTRYMF.STY
Tempo : 147
Solos generated separately via separate file and edited in DAW

Song Name :Someone to Love
Style : All MIDI style (can’t find style name - this is a 4 year old song)
Solo generated separately via separate file and edited in DAW

Song Name : Rollin’ the Road
Style : Real Track / _POPH165.STY
Tempo : 161
One track of acoustic strummed guitar by Jon Coffin

Song Name : Caribees
Style : Real Track / _REGGAS1.STY
Tempo : 108
Sequenced synthesizer steel drums and tuba tracks by Ed Layola

Song Name : Regulate It All
Style : Real Track / _SLBALGR.STY
Tempo : 74
Slide guitar by Paul Ruben

Song Name : Great Ship America
Style : Real Track / =FRANKPS.STY
Tempo : 170
Additional Instrument tracks:
618 : FIDDLE - Background Allis EV 120
623 : BANJO - Background EV 98 (played at half tempo)

Song Name : Tea Party
Style : Real Track / _TEXROCK.STY
Tempo : 125
417 : SAX - Tenor, Motown Rock EV120

Song Name : Roads
Style : Real Track / _BALADR.STY
Tempo : 78
369 : PEDAL STEEL - Background EV65

Song Name : Red Nose Reindeer Dude
Style : Real Track / _TRAINBR.STY
Tempo : 108

NOTES :

* All instrument tracks and solo tracks were digitally transferred to DAW (Roland VS2480) one instrument at a time with no effects as mono tracks.

* Real Drum tracks were digitally transferred to DAW as stereo tracks.

* All effects, EQ and dynamic processing was done during mix on the DAW.

* All vocals were recorded to the DAW and were Auto Tuned in the mix.

* Mastering was done on the Alesis Masterlink and Soundforge 10.

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
I just sampled all of the nine songs. The mixes sound very clean and everything seems to be in its right place. I am sure that Jon is pleased with the work you did.

Kevin

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I love your band and use them all the time ! Best software ever and cheap at Christmas too . Any DAW can record ,I prefer mine with many incredible bands included !

User Showcase
P
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
Thanks guys.

The three political protest songs were mixed September 2010 with preliminary mastering. Jon had a video made for the "Tea Party" song and its on his brand new web site. Parts of it is still under construction.

Click here for TEA PARTY VIDEO

The video soundtrack has glitch in it. Jon realized he had a wrong name in his song lyrics. He realized the error on his second day of his vacation in Hawaii. I got a frantic call from Hawaii and he sent me the line he sang into his laptop computer mic in Hawaii. I had to replace the word "Goldman" with the wrong name in the lyrics. The video guy was waiting for the change. We did this change in a few hours.

You can hear the difference if you listen for it. The fix was done properly for the CD track. Just one of those things that happens during production progress.

Thanks
Ed

Last edited by Producer Yoda; 12/17/11 05:29 PM.
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Quote:

... The three political protest songs were mixed September 2010 with preliminary mastering. ...

ha, ha -- See my comments on political songs here: http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=343432&an=0&page=0#Post343432

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
User Showcase
P
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
Kemmrich,

I hear you.

Personally, I stay away from discussions about philosophy, religions and politics . . . I usually have something better to do.

I just help with what my client wants to write and sing about. But I did warn him that right out of the gate he might alienate a small minority of people.

Ed

User Showcase
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
All true but remember some folks make a living with protest song, most of us kinda remember the 60s!

Fogerty sure made a few.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
In the 60's we were the protesters and our elders thought we were nuts. Then as now there was a lot to protest about. Each to his own, I guess we older ones have grown weary, or life's just too good to us.

Chris
User Showcase
P
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
Oh yes . . . 60s and the 70s . . . The good-ol days. Music was the "hip" way to peacefully protest and make your political statement.

Now that I'm much older . . . I'll leave the protesting to the young ones.

I'm finding it interesting that no one has asked any production questions yet. I'm still willing to answer any questions that you might have.

I'm ordering 2012 Plus Pack tomorrow.

Keep the comments coming.

Thanks
Ed

User Showcase
P
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
bump

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,400
Posts732,555
Members38,443
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199