Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#137096 12/03/11 03:00 AM
User Showcase
90 dB Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Last edited by 90 dB; 12/03/11 04:07 PM.
User Showcase
90 dB Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Ooops. Bad link. Here's a better one:

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11264944

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Robert - glad you got that link fixed.

What a nice song - great simple instrument balance - kept me right into the vocal.
speaking of vocal - very reminiscent of Bob Seeger style.

The only thing that I think I'd remedy would be to shorten the intro a few bars only because I kept waiting for the vocals to start - and where I thought they would begin . . . .they didn't.
Hardly an earth shattering problem with a terrific song.

Could you post the lyrics for those of us with the bad ears?
Well done.
Ian

Ian
My "Original Tunes" Site
My gene pool needs more chlorine.
User Showcase
90 dB Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks for listening and commenting Ian. Yeah, the intro is long. Most of my songs have short intros, and I thought I'd try a longer one for a change. Sorry for making you wait!

Here are the lyrics:

Callin’ Out Your Name

©2011 Robert Randall Burke

The frost is on the window
The wolves are at the door
But ever since I lost you
I just don’t care anymore.
Our friends have all stopped calling
I don’t answer anyway
When I pass them on the street now
They don’t know what to say.

I pass the places where we used to go
They just don’t seem the same
I wake up in the middle of the night
Callin’ out your name.

I can hear the children laughing
Throwin’ snowballs in the park
But I’m livin’ in this tomb now
Drinkin’ Bourbon in the dark.
You said you’d never leave me
But I know you’re not to blame
I just stay here in this lonely room
Callin’ out your name

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Not a bad song. But I frankly don't know what to say here as without the piano intro which doesn't fit since there's no other piano in the song - this song starts off exactly like our song "Borderline" and then uses our intro over and over.....coincidence I imagine and would hope - but weird nonetheless.....just saying....

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=332894&an=0&page=0#Post332894

User Showcase
90 dB Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

Not a bad song. But I frankly don't know what to say here as without the piano intro which doesn't fit since there's no other piano in the song - this song starts off exactly like our song "Borderline" and then uses our intro over and over.....coincidence I imagine and would hope - but weird nonetheless.....just saying....

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=332894&an=0&page=0#Post332894

Josie Dear,

At first read I thought you might be joking. Then I realized that you were indeed serious. You are actually accusing me of plagiarizing your song?

Not that such a libelous accusation deserves a response, but in the interest of preserving my good name in this community, I cannot let this stand.

Firstly, I am not in the habit of plagiarism, but if I were, it would most certainly not be from a song of the caliber of “Borderline” (which, by the way, I never heard until you linked to it in your scurrilous accusation).

Secondly, with thousands of people using a limited number of BIAB styles, one would expect some occasional overlap. Anyone with a rudimentary knowledge of theory, meter and prosody would know that.

Thirdly, I have been writing music for four decades, and have never found the need to steal from anyone.

“Frankly”, for someone who doesn't ' know what to say here', you have done a good job of slandering my good name while at the same time making yourself appear rather delusional and petty.

I will gladly accept your apology when it is forthcoming.

"Just saying".

p.s. I do apologize for using the terms “frankly” and “just saying”, as you probably have copyrighted them.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
90 dB,

Josie and I have been around for a while as well. We've all seen this kind of thing before and qualified our statement above by saying we hoped it was a coincidence.

We just wanted to ensure that our perception and position was stated... with that we will not respond further to this thread.

Bob

User Showcase
90 dB Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

90 dB,

Josie and I have been around for a while as well. We've all seen this kind of thing before and qualified our statement above by saying we hoped it was a coincidence.

We just wanted to ensure that our perception and position was stated... with that we will not respond further to this thread.

Bob

Absolutely incredible. You intend to persist in your slanderous accusation? You are actually delusional enough to believe that your “Borderline” is so exceptional that I (or anyone) would plagiarize it?

What hubris!

You may not elect to 'respond further', but I will. You 'hoped' it was a coincidence? Your 'perception'?

I will leave it to the gentle readers to compare the few songs that I have posted with those inspired musical masterpieces you have drawn from the celestial genius you seem to believe you possess, and decide the validity of your slanderous claim.

“Thou shalt not steal” is one of the precepts by which I live my life, and my integrity is not to be impugned, by you or anyone else.

In lieu of an apology (which is obviously not forthcoming), I will accept your silence as a tacit understanding that slander is a dangerous game, especially when played by amateurs.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
90db,

Stop being a sarcastic mean mouth so quick with personal attacks. I didn't accuse you of anything. Just thought it was a coincidence the songs sound so similiar. First time it's ever happened going on four years on this board and it made me feel weird.

I've wondered if it would happen - it did. It's disconcerting. I wish I could say it isn't but it is.....

If I thought you were intentionally up to no good - insulting me on a board would not be your option.

Find a way to chill and let's move on.

User Showcase
90 dB Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

90db,

Stop being a sarcastic mean mouth so quick with personal attacks. I didn't accuse you of anything. Just thought it was a coincidence the songs sound so similiar. First time it's ever happened going on four years on this board and it made me feel weird.

I've wondered if it would happen - it did. It's disconcerting. I wish I could say it isn't but it is.....

If I thought you were intentionally up to no good - insulting me on a board would not be your option.

Find a way to chill and let's move on.

'Personal attacks'?

What could be a more personal attack than to insinuate that I plagiarized your song? You did make the accusation, in public. Trying to back-track from it now is not only disingenuous, it is cowardly.

Your insinuation is akin to the old yellow journalism tactic:

“So, tell me, Senator – when did you stop beating your wife?”

Try as he might to deny the accusation, the Senator will be thought of by many as a wife-beater. I will not allow you to brand me with your scarlet “P”.

Your feeble attempt to portray me as a 'sarcastic mean mouth', when all I have done is attempt to defend my honor, is contemptible. Actually, beneath contempt.

The fact that you lack the class to acknowledge an undeserved accusation speaks volumes about your character, not mine.

I expected a reply along the lines of: “We just had a misunderstanding”; instead what I got was “You are still a thief, and stole the brilliance of my song”, and you are a “sarcastic mean mouth”: to boot.

Incredible.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran

Unfortunately misunderstandings happen.

Let's get past this one.

Peace.

User Showcase
90 dB Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

Unfortunately misunderstandings happen.

Let's get past this one.

Peace.

" misunderstandings happen"

True, but this is no 'misunderstanding'. I was willing to believe that it was a misunderstanding until your further accusing replies. Slander is intentional, and odious. I will 'get past' this when you and your partner apologize. That would be the honorable thing to do.

User Showcase
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
After listening to both songs twice, i have to say they are kind of similar. Seems that they use some of the same RTs, and have some common roots, in their chord structure. The full song beds are different in line structure, and the finished sound is different.

Actually Robert, i don't think Josie was trying to accuse you of anything, just somewhat taken back. I do see where you could take her comments in that direction though.

Sad when we clash over things like this, but really most musicians tend to be kind of sensitive to their creations.

I hope you all can find a peaceful solution to all this and not allow it to affect you to deeply. <aybe it would be a good time to just chalk it up to the fact that typed media can be rather misleading at times, and leave it at that.

Hopeful, Rob

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
User Showcase
90 dB Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

After listening to both songs twice, i have to say they are kind of similar. Seems that they use some of the same RTs, and have some common roots, in their chord structure. The full song beds are different in line structure, and the finished sound is different.

Actually Robert, i don't think Josie was trying to accuse you of anything, just somewhat taken back. I do see where you could take her comments in that direction though.

Sad when we clash over things like this, but really most musicians tend to be kind of sensitive to their creations.

I hope you all can find a peaceful solution to all this and not allow it to affect you to deeply. <aybe it would be a good time to just chalk it up to the fact that typed media can be rather misleading at times, and leave it at that.

Hopeful, Rob

Rob,

I don't believe this was a 'misunderstanding'. It began with this statement:

“...this song starts off exactly like our song "Borderline" and then uses our intro over and over...”

The inference is clear; I lifted their intro and wrote this song from it. As I stated, I had never even heard their song until it was linked in this thread as “proof” of my plagiarism.

'...our intro...'?

PG Music's intro, actually. Anyone who types in those particular chords into that particular style will produce the same progression. Hence, they sound ' kind of similar'.

To imply that I would steal from anyone, let alone this particular entity, is not only ludicrous, but highly insulting.

I am completely open to forgetting the entire sordid matter, as soon as a sincere apology is offered. As I said – that would be the honorable thing to do.

I am not holding my breath though.

User Showcase
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Yeah, i understand your feelings, stuff like this can really get under one's skin. I would just like to offer, that in my 10 years of posting on forum boards, i have seen that on many occasions, what was written was a bit different from what was meant.

What i mean is in typed media, you lose inflection, and tone, and it is far less likely to be able to pick up on intent. Some one might write "No problem", and on the surface that sounds benign, but in reality they might have had a very deeply sarcastic overtone, but it is lost in print.

Josie might have said:“...this song starts off exactly like our song "Borderline" and then uses our intro over and over...” but their might have been a raised and suprised set of eyes behind it, as if she was suprised at how much they sounds similar. There could have been no intent on insulting, but just a statement of curious surprise.

I believe what cemented this situation is Mr. Dean responding as he did, in saying " we hoped it was a coincidence" My how we musicians can get uppity over our musical children.

Once again I understand your feelings, and by the way i am a fan of your work. Sometimes we have to just no allow things like this to bug us. If i ever let something like this get to me, (and trust me i have many times) I love it when someone reminds me that it is just a forum board, and to be the peacemaker!

I listened and could see the similarities, but really as was pointed out by you and them, there are going to be over laps where we work from a finite set of tools. Man i can spot the fingerpick RTs a mile away.

A respectful word in the other direction, Josie, and Bob, even though you say you did not mean it as taken, it easily could be taken that way, that is as an insult. Just a thought, but what would it hurt to apolgize to the gentleman, and offer the olive branch?

Life folks, is to short to live with "knickers in a twist!" (see another post)

Good day to you all!

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
90 db

I really like your song. It has a very relaxed feel, perfect to your voice.

// Jan R

JROM
User Showcase
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
You have a great voice. Nice mix. Thanks for sharing!

My Music

My Tunes

Psalm 57:7 My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.
User Showcase
90 dB Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

Yeah, i understand your feelings, stuff like this can really get under one's skin. I would just like to offer, that in my 10 years of posting on forum boards, i have seen that on many occasions, what was written was a bit different from what was meant.

What i mean is in typed media, you lose inflection, and tone, and it is far less likely to be able to pick up on intent. Some one might write "No problem", and on the surface that sounds benign, but in reality they might have had a very deeply sarcastic overtone, but it is lost in print.

Josie might have said:“...this song starts off exactly like our song "Borderline" and then uses our intro over and over...” but their might have been a raised and suprised set of eyes behind it, as if she was suprised at how much they sounds similar. There could have been no intent on insulting, but just a statement of curious surprise.

I believe what cemented this situation is Mr. Dean responding as he did, in saying " we hoped it was a coincidence" My how we musicians can get uppity over our musical children.

Once again I understand your feelings, and by the way i am a fan of your work. Sometimes we have to just no allow things like this to bug us. If i ever let something like this get to me, (and trust me i have many times) I love it when someone reminds me that it is just a forum board, and to be the peacemaker!

I listened and could see the similarities, but really as was pointed out by you and them, there are going to be over laps where we work from a finite set of tools. Man i can spot the fingerpick RTs a mile away.

A respectful word in the other direction, Josie, and Bob, even though you say you did not mean it as taken, it easily could be taken that way, that is as an insult. Just a thought, but what would it hurt to apolgize to the gentleman, and offer the olive branch?

Life folks, is to short to live with "knickers in a twist!" (see another post)

Good day to you all!

Rob,

I realize that nuance is often lost on forums, but in this case, the inference was clear. As you noted, it was reinforced by Mr. Dean's response. I have a rather thick skin, having experienced tons of rejection in this business, but draw the line at being accused of plagiarism.

A salient point brought up by my wife was this: who in their right mind would plagiarize a song and then post it on the same site frequented by the persons supposedly plagiarized? It just doesn't make sense.

The funny thing is that I wrote and recorded this song in about an hour, knowing it was not commercial, but just another exercise with BIAB. I never expected such controversy (or animus).

I will wait for an apology. I suppose I should make myself comfortable.

Regards,

Bob
Plagiarist Extraordinaire

User Showcase
90 dB Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

90 db

I really like your song. It has a very relaxed feel, perfect to your voice.

// Jan R

Thanks for the kind words Jan.

Regards,

Bob

User Showcase
90 dB Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

You have a great voice. Nice mix. Thanks for sharing!

My Music

Thanks man.

Regards,

Bob

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,551
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199