Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
User Showcase
JCJazz Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
here is one that is in verrrry early stages , but i would like to hear your thoughts . Thanks http://soundcloud.com/charliessun/the-ride

Love getting back into biab in 2024
User Showcase
JCJazz Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Well i guess it is pretty bad. I will start it over again with my new way of constructing songs and maybe it will be better. Is there a reason no one said anything about the song?

User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
I think the vocals fit the lyrics... "I've been drinkin'...". I kind of like that. If that is not what was intended, you may want to practice the vocals a few times prior to recording. Or, use the recorder to help you target the places you need to improve.

All in all it's not any worse than most of the stuff posted here. Listen to some of the well regarded stuff on this forum. Listen to mine.

The reason you did not get any replies is you are not part of the "Mutual Admiration Society".

If you look around at the songs that are commented on, you will notice a trend... A small core group of people that tell each other how great their new stuff is. They don't generally comment on outsiders stuff.

If you want to be included in the group, you must positively comment on every lousy song they post. They will then dutifully tell you how great every lousy song of yours is.

Fun, huh?

If you are looking for help improving your skills, you've come to the wrong place. Go find a songwriters forum.

User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
JCJazz
I think your chord structure and use of RT is quite good, but you have an intermittent challenge with hitting the right notes in the scale when you sing. This is very dominant in the overall impression of the song. I'm no expert, so take my statements for what they are worth.
By the way, I share PRearden's view.

Best
Jan

JROM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I just missed this one, sorry! I’m getting caught up now.

I like the backing tracks. They are very well put together. The lyrics are very good also. The only problem is that your pitch is all over the place. Practice singing everything you can help, at least that is what they say. I don’t know as I still suck at singing

Have you tried any pitch correction software? Here are a couple of free ones; http://freemusicsoftware.org/category/free-vst-effects-2/pitch-correction

I have no experience with these but maybe someone else on the forums has.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I think the vocals fit the lyrics... "I've been drinkin'...". I kind of like that. If that is not what was intended, you may want to practice the vocals a few times prior to recording. Or, use the recorder to help you target the places you need to improve.

All in all it's not any worse than most of the stuff posted here. Listen to some of the well regarded stuff on this forum. Listen to mine.

The reason you did not get any replies is you are not part of the "Mutual Admiration Society".

If you look around at the songs that are commented on, you will notice a trend... A small core group of people that tell each other how great their new stuff is. They don't generally comment on outsiders stuff.

If you want to be included in the group, you must positively comment on every lousy song they post. They will then dutifully tell you how great every lousy song of yours is.

Fun, huh?

If you are looking for help improving your skills, you've come to the wrong place. Go find a songwriters forum.

Having a bad day or something?

Songs web site
YouTube Channel
BIAB 2019
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 4
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
JCJazz,

I guess I'm one of the lousy songwriters from the mutual admiration society. I haven't posted before now because I somehow overlooked your post. I have been playing catch-up after being out sick, and hospitalized for most of December.

I actually like the quality of your voice for this style. With proper mic and mixing, I think your voice would sound right. As far as the pitch goes, there are places where you are pretty close, and then others where you are not so close. However, a lot of very successful singers have made a lot of money, singing only "close" to pitch. So, as has already been stated, I would work on getting at least closer to pitch. I don't think pitch correction software would do the trick.

As to the song, one thing I would recommend is to maybe break it up a little. It seems to just all run together. If there were a lead or something earlier in the song, it would probably hold interest a little better. But overall I think it's a good effort, especially for a work in early progress.

Keep posting! Look forward to hearing more from you.

Steve

Steve Young
Music
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of." - Robert Schumann
User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
Quote:

Nope. Just an observation.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Quote:

Nope. Just an observation.

Well, you're plain wrong. And your comments are an insult to the people who frequent this board, but then they were meant to be of course.

I've been here a while and there's no mutual admiration society. If work merits it then it will be commented on and congratulated, whomever posts it. If help and advice can be offered to improve things then that happens - every day here. If none of those are possible for some reason then a reply may not be offered.

I personally follow the principle evinced be Thumper in Bambi: "If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all." For example, if someone posts something utterly dreadful and I can't hear any redeeming features or find any way at all of offering tips for improvement then I won't respond. I would not dream of hurting someone with a comment such as, e.g. "Wow, that is just painful, out of tune, derivative, boring, too long, badly mixed. Keep trying, your next one will surely be better." Making music is too wonderful and enjoyable to deter anyone from doing it. We're all somewhere different on the learning curve and I will not do anything that might deter someone from continuing their journey. But I like helping people and if I think I can I have a try.

Apologies to the original poster for hijacking the thread. This should have been on a separate thread.

Songs web site
YouTube Channel
BIAB 2019
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 4
User Showcase
JCJazz Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thanks for all the input. As i was doing this song it got away from me fast and it started with the structure and then went to the tempo. The tempo is what gave me the vocal issue and it went from a medium tempo Blues tune to a Cross Canadian ragweed rocker. I like the where i was going with the vocals but it needs lots of work to make that tempo work for me.Oh and when i was putting it together i left out the solo section and the bridge(brainfart) The 1st songs i did with BIAB where a real learning experience. As far as the rest of the comments about the forum i take it with a grain of salt just like i have for years in the many gaming forums i have been part of, i am still new and i know with time people will comment on songs and i will do it more also. Have a Grate Day.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,400
Posts732,553
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199