Page 1 of 2 1 2
#425738 08/11/17 04:27 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
The Meadow Xtra Styles Americana entry

Make that Canadiana...

Style is _RITUAL.STY (Ritual Deep Folk Groove)

RealTracks in style: 1521:Bass, Electric, PopPower4s Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 1035:Banjo, Rhythm NorthernRockBallad Ev 065
RealTracks in style: ~~362:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Ev 085
RealTracks in style: 1755:Mandolin, Rhythm Pop8ths Ev 110
RealTracks in song: 2667:Pedal Steel, Background DreamySingleNote Ev 075

RealDrums in style: RockRootsEv8^2-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride

In the 1890`s a group of Danish settlers travelled from the American midwest to Cape Scott on the remote NW corner of Vancouver Island and began a remarkable attempt to drain the salt marshes, raise dairy cows and create a community. They fished and trapped and waited for the government of the day to deliver on a promise to build a road. The road never came and unable to get their dairy products to markets they had to abandon the homes, church, and school they built.
In the early 1970`s soon after arriving in Canada, I hiked the 18km trail to the Cape, struggling through knee deep gumbo and summer rain to the remains of their settlement.The trail winds through forest where relics of a cord road,steam tractor and farm tools can still be seen as testament to their determination. The fields at Hansen`s Lagoon created by their hand dug dykes are still as beautiful and wild as anywhere you will see on Canada`s west coast.

The Meadow

they came from restless heart river
holding plough shares children and faith
out to where the map ends in tatters
trusting the wild to keep them safe

you should have kept driving that zamboni
said the trucker who dropped me on their trail
those circles got too easy I`m going
to see what`s left of them that dared to fail

won`t let the sun go down
while its still day
I want to look in their eyes
find what they gave
to reach the meadow
to reach the meadow
the meadow at the end of the world

on the storm crashing edge of Canada
in wildflowers I found the bones
of crosscut saws rockers and rafters
their hardscrabble heaven their home

read names writ in nails on the markers
in the wind I heard the hymns they sang
come here from restless heart river
come here to make your stand

don`t let the sun go down
while its still day
I want to look in your eyes
find what you gave
to reach the meadow
to reach the meadow

don`t let the sun go down
while its still day
look in my eyes
find what I gave
to reach the meadow
to reach the meadow
the meadow at the end of the world

© Robert Cordrey June, 2017

Last edited by Robertkc; 08/11/17 04:30 PM.
Robertkc #425747 08/11/17 05:44 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Robert,

Once again you've captured another moment in history and created a fine musical tale. I found the combination of your backing and your singing very haunting and very effective. I wish you well in the contest!

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Robertkc #425760 08/11/17 10:28 PM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert

Another great one. I liked the style in your songs.
Excellent lyrics too. Your are very able to write about historic moment of your land, and that's
no easy to do.

Sergio.

Sergio
Robertkc #425789 08/12/17 03:57 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
"out to where the map ends in tatters"
"of crosscut saws rockers and rafters"
"their hardscrabble heaven their home"

You have a real "way with words", Robert...

Cool how you put such historical stories to song... Did you once drive a zamboni? I can safely say that is the first time I've heard that in a song smile

fj

Robertkc #425793 08/12/17 04:03 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran

Great song Robert. I was captured from beginning to end. Good luck on the contest!!

floyd jane #425812 08/12/17 06:49 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Robert,

Once again you've captured another moment in history and created a fine musical tale. I found the combination of your backing and your singing very haunting and very effective. I wish you well in the contest!

All the best,
Noel

Noel,
Thank you for those kind comments- I`ve been a history buff since school days and always find inspiration there.

Robert

Originally Posted By: Sergio Guarneri

Another great one. I liked the style in your songs.
Excellent lyrics too. Your are very able to write about historic moment of your land, and that's
no easy to do.

Sergio.

I`m glad you enjoyed this song, Sergio... you paint the landscape with guitar notes,I have to use words!

Robert

Originally Posted By: floyd jane

Cool how you put such historical stories to song... Did you once drive a zamboni? I can safely say that is the first time I've heard that in a song smile

fj

Floyd,
I was pushing a lawn mower not driving a zamboni at the time, but that image fit better with the going round in circles feeling - and its also very Canadian!
Thanks for listening to all my words.

Robert

Robertkc #425813 08/12/17 07:06 AM
User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Thanks for sharing this Robertkc! Great work with the vocal harmonies and progression! quite fond of the guitars too. Well done! smile

Cheers,
Joe
Robertkc #425838 08/12/17 12:07 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Robert,

You sure know how to make any song dramatic ;-)
That must have something to do with your dramatic voice ;-)
We especially like the harmony vocals on the choruses!

This must be another winner in the contest.

Rob & Anne-Marie

We are Rob Meulman and Anne-Marie Bovenkamp from The Netherlands.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

Robertkc #425841 08/12/17 12:12 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
What a cool tune Robert. I did not know the story of the settlers. Hard to believe how tough it was to survive in those days. Testament to the communities that did make it.

Beautiful lyric and delivery. I got lost in the imagery as the vocal and backtrack fit so well together. Truly impressive and enjoyable

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
RnAM #425921 08/13/17 07:34 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Joe -PG Music
Thanks for sharing this Robertkc! Great work with the vocal harmonies and progression! quite fond of the guitars too. Well done! smile

Joe,
I`ve only just progressed to doing my own harmonies so appreciate the mention of them here.
Thanks for your listen and comments.

Robert

Originally Posted By: RnAM
Robert,

You sure know how to make any song dramatic ;-)
That must have something to do with your dramatic voice ;-)
We especially like the harmony vocals on the choruses!

This must be another winner in the contest.

Rob & Anne-Marie

Rob & Anne-Marie

Thank you!
My original plan was to sing this falsetto ala Neil Young, but its gonna take more practice to get that right.
I did work quite hard on those harmonies.

Robert

Robertkc #425923 08/13/17 08:17 AM
User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
I love the unique vocal delivery on this. It's almost haunting, but beautiful in a way as well. A good tune, and a very interesting story to go along with it! I found it very engaging. It reminds me of a favourite artists of mine, Sparklehorse.

Thanks so much for sharing smile

Cheers,
Deryk
Robertkc #425924 08/13/17 08:25 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Robert,

This is a very striking song. I'm a history buff but have little knowledge of Canadian history. This was so interesting and well performed. Good luck in the contest,

Alan

BIAB 2022 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win10*8GB DDR4*I5-6th Gen*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120 Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

Noel96 #425946 08/13/17 10:47 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Robert,

All the best,
Noel

Exactly!! Well done Robert! T

Last edited by Torrey Bliss; 08/13/17 10:48 AM.

Al-David #426103 08/14/17 01:42 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
I love the unique vocal delivery on this. It's almost haunting, but beautiful in a way as well. A good tune, and a very interesting story to go along with it! I found it very engaging. It reminds me of a favourite artists of mine, Sparklehorse.

Thanks so much for sharing smile

Deryk,

Thanks for your kind review. I had never heard of Sparklehorse ( think I missed a decade or so of American music starting in the 90`s)- now they really knew how to sound haunting!

Robert

Originally Posted By: Al-David
Robert,

This is a very striking song. I'm a history buff but have little knowledge of Canadian history. This was so interesting and well performed. Good luck in the contest,

Alan

I`m glad you liked the song and found the story interesting, Al.
I`ve not thought about the contest, but, well, PG Music are a
Vancouver Island company- my song just happens to be about the Island & I also live there... just saying.

Robert

Last edited by Robertkc; 08/14/17 01:43 PM.
floyd jane #426171 08/15/17 03:14 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran

fj

everything Floyd mentions here is what was hitting me listening,

great lines, very poetic

enjoyed and good luck

Kenny

Robertkc #426222 08/15/17 07:01 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
We both feel like we took that hike with you. Wonderful imagery. Janice and I so often find abandoned settler homesites, cemeteries, etc., on our rambles and we always wonder about the people who lived out their lives where we stood. Rarely do we have the “backstory” as you did with the adventure.

Your production is spot on for the lyric and your vocal. We like the banjo and especially the mournful steel fills.

The “haunting harmonies” are a nice touch also.

Janice wanted to add that your productions and lyrics sometimes remind her of Gordon Lightfoot.

This would make a terrific video.

Well done!

J&B

Scott C #426296 08/15/17 04:26 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Scott C
What a cool tune Robert. I did not know the story of the settlers. Hard to believe how tough it was to survive in those days. Testament to the communities that did make it.

Beautiful lyric and delivery. I got lost in the imagery as the vocal and backtrack fit so well together. Truly impressive and enjoyable

Scott,

I guess when I get lost in a story that`s the clue for me to start writing- certainly that`s the case here, as that hike and how I felt coming across the settlers relics in such a remote location, has stayed with me.
I`m very glad you enjoyed the song.

Robert

44kfl #426297 08/15/17 04:31 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Robert,

All the best,
Noel

Exactly!! Well done Robert! T

Thank you, Torrey!

Originally Posted By: 44kfl

fj

everything Floyd mentions here is what was hitting me listening,

great lines, very poetic

enjoyed and good luck

Kenny

Kenny,
When I began writing this song I went from memory of the hike and then found a few books on the history... so much material there it was hard to pare down to a few verses.
Many thanks for your listen and comments.

Robert

Janice & Bud #426470 08/17/17 06:52 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
We both feel like we took that hike with you. Wonderful imagery. Janice and I so often find abandoned settler homesites, cemeteries, etc., on our rambles and we always wonder about the people who lived out their lives where we stood. Rarely do we have the “backstory” as you did with the adventure.

Your production is spot on for the lyric and your vocal. We like the banjo and especially the mournful steel fills.

The “haunting harmonies” are a nice touch also.

Janice wanted to add that your productions and lyrics sometimes remind her of Gordon Lightfoot.

This would make a terrific video.

Well done!

J&B

J&B,
I`m sure you have some great settler stories around you - it can be hard to find them though. Cape Scott was made a National Park around the time of my visit and there are now interpretive signs telling the story.
Thanks for the harmonies thumbs up -I did four tracks split L&R similar to your recent song with Floyd.
I like Gordon Lightfoot`s Canadiana songs, though some are really long!

Robert

Robertkc #426807 08/19/17 08:20 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hello, Robert

As Noel said, the combination of your backing and your singing is very haunting and very effective.
In these types of songs your vocals are really wonderful.
Your song echoes deeply in the hearts of the listeners.
Your technic is very cool to embed unexpected chord sometimes in the traditional chord progression.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Good luck in the contest.
Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,307
Posts731,349
Members38,410
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
DJ Jazzy Jimbob, PatSar63, danidatoad, resower, Nicholas -PG Music
38,410 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 213