Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Well, one of our forum buddies just stated that he walked out on an Elton John concert in the early 70s and there was some discussion as to why.

So, I thought I would start another thread to see if there have been any other famous walk outs among forum members.

I walked out of a Stevie Ray Vaughn Concert back in the 80s at the garden and I LOVE Stevie Ray. The problem was, he got JEFF BECK to open for him.

Jeff Beck came on stage with a drummer and a white Stratocaster, walked up to a mic and said "Hi"--then launched into a seamless guitar solo of many songs and parts strung together that was about an hour a half long non stop. The most dazzling and mind-boggling tour de force of guitar virtuosity I have ever seen. It was like a tour through the cosmos, and a visit to Mars. When he was done he walked back up to the mic and said "I'm Jeff Beck. Good night."

The crowd went nuts. Absolutely berserk. It was like a fifteen minute standing ovation.

Then Stevie Ray came out and started "If the house is a rockin'.." or one of those tunes.

It just didn't work. People were like "Huh?"

Moral of the story:

Never have Jeff Beck open for you. Career suicide.

Other stories??

smile

Veteran
Veteran
I don't think I've ever walked out of a concert. Heck, I paid good money and I was going to get my money's worth.... good or bad.

I have sat there through the opening acts thinking, "When are these clowns gonna be done so I can hear some good music?"

I've walked out on plenty of local bands though.

Here's a few of the seriously mismatched shows I've been to.

Chick Correa opens for Leslie West and Mountain. What was the promoter thinking?

Foghat, Poco, Johnny Winters.... in that order. Poco was the ones who walked out. 3 songs and they put their instruments down and walked off due to people throwing trash at them. Rock band starts....country with steel.... uhhh, rock fans not happy.... then Winters comes out and chews out the audience for being rude to Poco.... which they did deserve. He played a longer show and had Rick Derringer on guitar that tour.... a two-fur rocking show. I went out the next day and bought a Poco album.

The Philadelphia mummers, Gary Wright and the dream weaver (keyboard band) , Peter Frampton, & Yes. This was a huge show in the Philly football stadium, 1976 or there about. I felt sorry for the mummers.... in full feathered costume, 95 degrees, full sun.... and no one was interested in hearing banjo's being strummed. Frampton was doing the "Comes Alive" tour, and YES was freaking amazing. If you are familiar with Relayer..... they played it note for note...all 21 minutes of it. WOW!

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Veteran
Veteran
I've walked out of a concert. A Jazz concert. The top bill was Oscar Petersen. We booked early and paid extra for great seats in the balcony, overlooking the stage. However, Oscar was ill, and never made it. Undeterred that Oscar wasn't going to be there, there were still some great names in the line-up, and we all still wanted to go.

However, the seats sold were less than the promoter expected, so they never opened the balcony, and put us in the stalls, at the back, like the very back.

Was there a stage up the front somewhere?

Disgusted, we walked out. Not because of the performers, but because of the selfish promoters. They lined their pockets and simply didn't deliver. I learned that promoters have a reputation for that kind of thing.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
The list would be long and still would be incomplete.

In the 50's and 60's I was carted to every 'Grand Ole Opry' star's show that came to Charleston.

My family walked out of many concerts because:

'Name your favorite 50-60's country star' - too drunk to perform...

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Charlie,

There is just absolutely no way I am going to believe that one of those was Johnny Cash. No way.

Veteran
Veteran

Uh.that would probably be The Possum. grin

C
Veteran
Veteran
C
You guys know your country stars. Ira Louvin was another who had some fame for drinking.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
D
dga Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman
D
Charlie Daniels was late coming on stage for an outdoor concert in Raleigh NC around 2005. Thunderstorms were threatening I don't think they wanted to start the show if it was going to lightning. It started pouring rain, and a wind storm, just as he began his 3rd song "the Devil Went Down to Georgia". I ran for shelter. Soaking wet I just kept on running to my car.

"When you help somebody else you are really helping yourself"
D
dga Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman
D
Originally Posted By: 90 dB

Uh.that would probably be The Possum. grin

George Jones

"When you help somebody else you are really helping yourself"
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Last summer my wife treated me to a surprise weekend at 'Guitar Town' in Copper Mountain Resort, CO.

Saturday is 'acoustic day' with wizardry galore - favorite of the day was Andy McKee.

Sunday is 'electric day' with Steve Vai as top billing. Here were the performers for electric day last year, before Vai:

Matt Schofield

John Jorgenson Electric band with Chris Casello & Stig Mathiesen

Sonny Landreth

Robben Ford

and then Steve Vai.

Favorites were Matt Schofield and Chris Casello. Schofield is in the vein of Stevie Ray Vaughan and Casello is a mixture of a whole bunch of players and the best entertainer of the entire lineup.

Vai's sound guys must have been somebody other than the rest of the day, because they actually were clipping the main speakers of the PA. It was punishingly brutal. I had both disposable and custom hearing protection with me and the bass guitar as well as the drums were actually clipping the mains - this is actually easy to hear with hearing protection in place. There was no music, and I like Vai's wizardry for what it's worth. We stayed for two songs and then left. Vai made all kinds of funny faces as he played, which he is known to do, and I wondered if he has any hearing left whatsoever to hear simply how terrible it sounded.

We also walked out of Eric Johnson's set the day before because guess what he played mostly at 'Guitar Town'? The piano. Yes, THE Eric Johnson, on the billing as the headliner for the acoustic day, played about 75% piano (and just o.k. piano playing) and 25% acoustic guitar. Highly disappointing.

Best part of the day however was that I won a Taylor 414ce guitar in a drawing.

It was hard comparing with what I got to see/hear in 2009, the other time I've been at the festival. Tommy Emmanuel at about 10' away.

Veteran
Veteran
I walked out on the Grateful Dead....sorry Deadheads. They milled around on the stage for what seemed like FOREVER between each song - to the point so much time would pass that I was looking at my watch - I was so bored I couldn't take it anymore.

I walked out on a rock concert in the early 80's, I can't remember the name of the group now but it holds the record in my mind for the loudest - it was so loud that the music was literally pounding my chest. I don't think I made it through one whole song.

I wish I'd walked out of a George Strait concert. You'd have thought he was Elvis or the Beatles - nothing but constant screaming and couldn't hear most of the music for the fans. I was not expecting that at all so I kept thinking they'd settle down by the next song....wrong.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Sundance
I walked out on the Grateful Dead....sorry Deadheads. They milled around on the stage for what seemed like FOREVER between each song - to the point so much time would pass that I was looking at my watch - I was so bored I couldn't take it anymore.

I walked out on a rock concert in the early 80's, I can't remember the name of the group now but it holds the record in my mind for the loudest - it was so loud that the music was literally pounding my chest. I don't think I made it through one whole song.

I wish I'd walked out of a George Strait concert. You'd have thought he was Elvis or the Beatles - nothing but constant screaming and couldn't hear most of the music for the fans. I was not expecting that at all so I kept thinking they'd settle down by the next song....wrong.

So... the Dead milling around on stage... they were simply waiting for the acid to kick in.

Everybody was loud and still are. The most excruciating concert I've ever attended was a country artist. Kenny Chesney. Loud, clipped, no bass. I kept thinking the bass was going to come in on the chorus, but the chorus came and went as did the rest of the set. The only reason I didn't walk out on that show was because my entire family and a few others were there and they adored him.

George is the man around this house. He's the number one guy with the ladies here. We've been to several GS shows and I've got to say, your experience wasn't what we saw. Yeah the ladies in the crowd go crazy over him, but they did hold it together reasonably well. The sound at his shows is superb. Loud enough but not so that your ears are bleeding. I've enjoyed his shows.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Veteran
Veteran
“The sound at his shows is superb. Loud enough but not so that your ears are bleeding.”

That had a lot to do with having Paul Rodgers and George Olson at FOH. Not a bad little PA either! grin

http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/george_strait_the_cowboy_rides_away_with_l-acoustics_k1/

Regards,

Bob

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Ha ha ha. Josie, I did too!!! I think I walked out after song number 2.

I really did not get it.

The people down front who were dancing and taking their clothes off seemed to be having a great time though so obviously they were hearing voices from another plant I was not tuned in to.

I am so surprised to hear Herb Hartley suggest they may have been tripping on acid.

The Grateful Dead?

Oh surely you jest. That just couldn't be. I won't believe it.

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
I think I walked out after song number 2.

So you were, what, about two hours into the show? smile

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Ha ha ha ha ha.

Right!

smile

J
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
J
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

I walked out of a Stevie Ray Vaughn Concert back in the 80s at the garden and I LOVE Stevie Ray. The problem was, he got JEFF BECK to open for him.

Jeff Beck came on stage with a drummer and a white Stratocaster, walked up to a mic and said "Hi"--then launched into a seamless guitar solo of many songs and parts strung together that was about an hour a half long non stop. The most dazzling and mind-boggling tour de force of guitar virtuosity I have ever seen. It was like a tour through the cosmos, and a visit to Mars. When he was done he walked back up to the mic and said "I'm Jeff Beck. Good night."

The crowd went nuts. Absolutely berserk. It was like a fifteen minute standing ovation.

Then Stevie Ray came out and started "If the house is a rockin'.." or one of those tunes.

It just didn't work. People were like "Huh?"

Moral of the story:

Never have Jeff Beck open for you. Career suicide.

Other stories??

smile

I'm sorry, but anyone who walks out of a SRV performance because Jeff Beck kicked butt before him merits little more than an eye roll and shaking of the head, to be kind.

PS: I'm a massive Beck fan...grew up in the 70s idolizing his ground-breaking instrumental stuff. But I've seen both live and numerous videos of them both live...and Beck can only dream of being half the virtuoso SRV was. In fact, I've seen a video of SRV playing with Beck and he made Beck look like a bumbling high schooler. lmao @ this.

Anyway...

I only walked out of one concert: Spyro Gyra. It was a "date concert" and for those who don't know, they have a lot of accessible, so-called smooth jazz stuff......but mind you some really good stuff despite that. Anyway, apparently on this tour they were determined to show they are "real jazz musicians" and went off on these ridiculously long and ridiculously shall we say "interpretive" solos/songs....I get jazz, I like jazz of all kinds and am pretty open-minded, but I'm sorry this just sucked. Bad. We left about half-way through.

Veteran
Veteran
Canned Heat. I didn't walk out only because I didn't need to because the band was booed off the stage.

The band moseyed out on stage, announced they were not going to play any of their hits and started playing absolute junk. The crowd started booing and the boos got louder and louder. After about 10 minutes the band put downtheir instruments and walked off stage while the boos were replaced by cheers.

The next group, The Royal Guardsmen, came out, anoounced they lost their lead singer and then started a hour and a half set that everyone enjoyed.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
Veteran
"The next group, The Royal Guardsmen, came out, anoounced they lost their lead singer and then started a hour and a half set that everyone enjoyed."

They are from our area. Some of the guys are still playing around here - as "The Crossfire Band".

http://www.crazedfanboy.com/spotlight/guardsmen.html

Regards,

Bob

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
But, but, but...like Spyro Gyra is the most killer and most awesome band of all time, and like, Stevie Ray LOVED then. They were his favorite.

Now I am just going to cry, My feelings are really hurt, I have to say. I can't roll my eyes because I am too busy crying. Thanks man. You broke my heart.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,604
Posts735,006
Members38,512
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
BroDon, Xtian, michael07716, Ronsei, McYann
38,511 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 186