Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
Expert
OP Online Content
Expert
I've been playing live for years since BIAB was on floppy discs and I've always transferred to PT, creating and editing midi files which I played on a file player through a Roland sound module.

But now with BIAB 2018 I'm seeing whole lot of potential beyond midi. I can create wav or mp3 files no problem but for playing live does anyone have a recommendation? I can use an ipod or a personal cd player.

What I want is a clear display I can see tracks on so I can select the right one and move about to change the set list on the fly. I also want a method that will play one file/song and stop - not go on to the next.

What have other forum members found best?

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I don't do much of this but when I do, I put .WAV files or .MP3 files on my SONY PCM-M10 portable player/recorder.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran

Journeyman
Journeyman
I use backing tracks in my solo shows. I use iTunes on my laptop to run my mp3 and wav files. It's easy to organize your tracks into a play list. Just drag and drop songs to change thier order and use the space bar to start and pause songs. Been doing it this way for over 6 years now.

Samuel Davis Jr
BIAB 2018 + Cubase + Ignite
BMI

www.sammycountry.com
Journeyman
Journeyman
I use a Digitech looper pedal to play my BIAB created backing tracks at gigs. Once I've created and saved by BIAB file, I then transfer it over to my looper pedal using software that is available from Digitech. I store the files as "singles" and not "loops" on the pedal. This is great at gigs because I can move through my different songs using a foot pedal. I prefer this presentation as it seems a bit less obvious visually to an audience, rather than scrolling through songs on a MP3 player or a laptop computer.

Each song is numbered on my set list. I have a separate FS3X foot switch that allows me to quick scroll through the songs on the pedal. This makes it very easy to change the set list or play requests.

If you purchase extra memory cards you can increase the amount of storage space on most looper pedals. I currently have 80+ songs (saved as WAV files) on my pedal, and have only used a small percentage of my available storage space.

Veteran
Veteran
Yep.... put the files into a reliable format. You don't need things going wrong at gigs and always have backup and duplicate machines...mp3/wave players.... etc.... because with anything electronic, it's not "if" but "when" until something will go wrong.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Expert
Expert
I have been using .wav via a laptop using Windows media player. I use a Roland Tricapture as the audio card plug my guitar into the Tricapture then using TH2 balance my guitar to the mix. This way I can plug into others PA systems or my own with a minimum of fuss. It is easy to carry spare files.

Tony

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
W
Apprentice
Apprentice
W
Nothing much wrong with an iPad loaded with Onsong giving you sets, lyrics and Mp3 backing tracks.

BIAB 2022 UltraPAK
Xtra packs 1,2,3,4,5,6,13
2019 and 2018 49pak
Asus Zen Book UX533F 1TB ssd
Windows10 pro, 16g i7 64bit
Allen and Heath Z10fx mixer
Alesis V25 controller

L
Expert
Expert
L
I have mine on my phone in airplane mode. You could just play from BIAB using the jukebox as another option. Could be a little close to the edge for comfort though.:-)

Windows 10 Home 20H2 Build 19042.487
BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
Intel(R) Core(TM), i3-4160, CPU @3.60 GHz RAM 16 GB, 64 Bit X64-based processor
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
American Audio SDJ-1 Dual SD/MP3 Player

Musician Friend states "The American DJ SDJ-1 is the perfect example of the power of two. With two MP3 players in one unit, two LCD displays, dual jogwheels, slots for two SD or SDHC cards (4GB max each slot) and all the same adjustable features/functions for each individual MP3 player....."

Using SD cards for your music means (that) just a few SD cards ... you're good to go. Other features include auto cue, folder search, auto BPM, ID3 tags, single/continuous play, unlimited skip protection and more. The SDJ-1 MP3 Player comes with two mono 1/8" control cables, two sets of stereo RCA cable, and a switching adapter."

This particular unit is no longer available but I used it for reference because I own one. It's a rock solid unit made to withstand live gigging and to have all the features one would need to play live gigs.

Simple, redundant, rack mountable, a display you can read, and large buttons. They also have true line outs to connect with your gear and no moving parts.

Behringer Mixer with MP3 Player

Is a reasonable cost alternative for less than $100.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Apprentice
Apprentice
I use an app called One Track: One Track website

Create track lists that are independent of iTunes, one at a time or continuous playback for breaks, etc. This does everything I need for live performance except display charts; for that I use iGigbook.

I highly recommend the app. Sean does a good job.

It's all about the music.
(I keep telling myself that...)
http://www.davidkempton.com
Expert
Expert
I use a never-been-activated Android phone, $65 from Walmart, with the free version of Rocket Player Ap. I installed a 32 gig SD card. My backing tracks are MP3 files. I rename the files with numbers in front of the song name to create set lists.
Example
1-JustAnotherDayInParadise
2-BoatOnARiver
3-SweetViolets

This way they show up numerically in the order I intend.
I have another set list in alphabetical order so I can find a song quickly that way when needed.

I have a passive stereo volume pedal on the floor between the phone and the PA so I can fix any goofs quickly in case I start a song and realize I forgot to put my capo on.

Does the noise in your head bother me ?
L
Expert
Expert
L
volume pedal is a smart idea. I might do that.

BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: lambada
volume pedal is a smart idea. I might do that.

The right cables is the trick to it though.

Here are some Hosa Cable options

3.5mm to 2 1/4" TS
Model Length MSRP
CMP-153 3 ft $8.60
CMP-159 10 ft $12.30
HMP-003Y 3 ft $16.65
HMP-006Y 6 ft $18.00
HMP-010Y 10 ft $19.95

Then a 2 pair of 1/4 TS - 1/4 TS
I use a Keyboard cable that essentially is 2 1/4"TS to 2 1/4"TS. But, I've also put a pair of instrument cables together and zip tied them every 10 inches or so. If you do it that way you can use 2 different colors to designate left and right if that matters to you.
Also check the pedals impedance before you buy it. I know this matters but I don't remember what is correct/best.
The volume pedal also gives me the ability to lower the volume on tracks that are too loud. After a while I start to take note and redo (normalize) those tracks on the computer.

I suppose I could use a single cable and let the 3.5mm TRS end of the cable sum it into a single mono 1/4" TS. But, I just don't like the idea of combining a left and the right amp output together via a cable.
Or, if your PA/Amp has 1/8" input just use 2 of the 3.5mm to 2 1/4" TS cables. One into and the other out of the pedal.

Does the noise in your head bother me ?
L
Expert
Expert
L
Thanks. I need to try it. I have a zillion cables lying around and a BOSS volume pedal from memory. My setup is super simple at the moment as I play in a wine bar where people want to talk and have a bit of background music.

Last edited by lambada; 01/21/18 03:44 PM.

BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
About the volume pedal, when I used one, it was a stereo pedal. Of course this depends on what you use as a PA.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
I
Expert
Expert
I
I use an iPod touch and input all my songs into a setlist. I like doing it this way because I don't have to worry about my computer failing on me or having it break causing me to not be able to ever create backing tracks again. What I do is load the songs onto my iPod, plug it into my JBL Eon One Pro, mic up my steel drum, open the setlist folder with all the sheet music that I have imported onto the fourscore app on my iPad Pro and play away. If BIAB for Mac had the ability to allow the jukebox to create playlists then I would probably use my MacBook Pro. As of now, I'm happy with my current set up. I also use the Airturn pedal to turn the pages on my iPad.

Last edited by Islansoul; 01/23/18 04:38 AM.

Computer: Macbook Pro, 16 inch 2021
DAWs: Pro Tools, Logic, and Maschine
plays drums, percussion, bass, steel pan, keyboard,
music producer/engineer
Journeyman
Journeyman
On the last comment do you know with forScore on your iPad you can put backings onto your iPad and then associate the relevant mp3 or wave files with the sheet music versions. Once that is done you can play the backing track direct from your forScore sheet music and then you would no longer need your iPod touch. You can even tell forScore where page turns are (if you have a multi page scores) and then it will automatically do the page turns for you. Works brilliantly. ForScore is such a great app.

Last edited by funkycornwall; 01/23/18 01:31 PM.
Expert
OP Online Content
Expert
Lots of useful suggestions but I still can't work out how to play one song at a time. All the IPODs seem to play a song then go on to the next one. I just want one song at a time then choose te next one. I can create a play list but it does seem time consuming to create playlists with just one song. But that might be the only way to go.

Veteran
Veteran
http://www.mike-warren.net/dfbhelp/

This is a small free program, that supports wav files (and MP3's), has lyrics and set lists, etc. You can jump to any song, whether in a set list or not.

I've used it for years and it works.

Regards,

Bob

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,480
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195