Page 1 of 2 1 2
#441932 12/01/17 12:35 PM
Beginners Forum
casak Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
BIAB 2017
I saved a backing track with bass and drum.
Now (I do not know if it can be done) I would like to add 3 more audio tracks 1) singer 2) piano 3) trumpet recorded separately listening on the headphones the tracks already recorded.
A multitrack recording.

I would already be happy to record not the 3 tracks simultaneously but to record singer, piano and trumpet separately: the important thing is to be able to send each audio track on a different channel.

It this possible?

Last edited by casak; 12/01/17 12:50 PM.
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
BIAB has one audio track.

But RealBand, provided free with BIAB, can do this. So can any DAW (digital audio workstation, a software program such as Reaper, Mixcraft etc.).

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Beginners Forum
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: casak
BIAB 2017
I saved a backing track with bass and drum.
Now (I do not know if it can be done) I would like to add 3 more audio tracks 1) singer 2) piano 3) trumpet recorded separately listening on the headphones the tracks already recorded.
A multitrack recording.

I would already be happy to record not the 3 tracks simultaneously but to record singer, piano and trumpet separately: the important thing is to be able to send each audio track on a different channel.

It this possible?

Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
BIAB has one audio track.

Matt is correct and he's telling you the preferred and best method. But, while BIAB has only one audio track, it can be used multiple times. If for some reason you wanted specifically to complete your recording from within the BIAB program, you can.... Multi track audio recording is possible using only BIAB! You are not even limited to the 7 tracks that are not audio tracks...
15 or more tracks are easily captured.

casak, in your specific example, for conversation, let's assume you have some musician friends over and it is a once in a lifetime opportunity to record all of you together. We'll assume in this conversation you know nothing about using RealBand, or you use a Mac and don't have RB. Let's assume you have no access to any other DAW. BIAB is all that is available and you want to record the setup you describe above in your question. As long as you have the ability to get the audio into Biab, it is possible. For instance, you are using BIAB RealTracks for Bass and Drums and you have a mic into your audio interface and Biab is configured to access the interface. You are good to go. You have used two tracks and still have the audio track and piano, guitar, strings, melody and soloist tracks available for recording. All of these tracks can accept audio.

The process is simple.

Record your first instrument or vocal onto the audio track.

From the audio menu, make the audio track a Performance track and move it to an available track.

Record your second and third audio tracks repeating the above process.

--------

Once you are finished recording, your mixer tracks would look similar to the following:

(Bass Track) RT Bass
(Piano Track) Performance track Piano
(Drums Track) RT Drums
(Guitar Track) Performance track Trumpet
(Strings Track ) Performance track Singer
Melody
Soloist
Audio

---------

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 12/01/17 01:33 PM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
That's really creative, Charlie. I've never attempted that because I just use a DAW to do multitrack recording.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
While Charlie's method works, the best bet for recording multiple tracks is to use a multi-track recording app (such as Realband).

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Beginners Forum
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: jford
While Charlie's method works, the best bet for recording multiple tracks is to use a multi-track recording app (such as Realband).

Quote from my post: "Matt is correct and he's telling you the preferred and best method."

I certainly don't disagree with you John. I was answering the question asked in the original post that indicated to me, was asking if it were possible to make a multitrack recording in BIAB. It is.

I speculate that most users are the same as casak and Matt and don't consider that Biab is even capable of multitrack recording. Other options are readily available and no consideration is given to Biab because it's unnecessary when there are so many DAWs and multitracks out there.

Biab is a more than capable multitrack recorder but it is not a DAW. All DAWs are multitrack recorders but not all multitrack recorders are DAWs. Or, at least, not fully featured DAWs.

The best way to evaluate Biab as a multitrack recorder is to compare it with other basic multitrack recorders such as the Tascam DP-006, DP-008, Zoom H4n, H2n type units rather than a comparison with a DAW.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 12/01/17 08:23 PM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Beginners Forum
casak Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thank you guys. I will try Chrlie's method to move audio track on another BIAB track. But I also have Realband in my package and I have installed Realband on my PC (Win 10). Is it possible with Realband to make a multitrack recording easier? What should I do? I do not know Realband very much. I have always and only used BIAB so far.

smile

Last edited by casak; 12/01/17 11:02 PM.
Beginners Forum
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: casak
Thank you guys. I will try Charlie's method to move audio track on another BIAB track. But I also have Realband in my package and I have installed Realband on my PC (Win 10). Is it possible with Realband to make a multitrack recording easier? What should I do? I do not know Realband very much. I have always and only used BIAB so far.

smile

There are many benefits to using RealBand for multitrack recording rather than Biab. This was a discussion more of theory than practical application. RealBand is designed for multitrack recording as a primary purpose and Biab is not. It is much more visual and has easy access to multitrack and mixing features that are more cumbersome in Biab. With RealBand, you have 48 tracks available before you have to move audio. A huge advantage with RealBand is the multi riff feature and also you can regenerate just a portion of a track rather than the complete track regenerating. So if you have a track where you are satisfied with everything except a small portion, you can fix just the part you're not satisfied with. It is easy to cut and paste audio in RealBand. It is easy to automate volume and panning in RealBand. If you have an audio interface that has multiple inputs, you can record multiple tracks at once with RealBand. RealBand shares a lot of integration with Biab and it is a DAW. It is the best of both worlds.

I grew up using Reel to Reel tape decks, Cassette Portastudios that had 2,4, or 8 tracks. My familiarity and experience make it easy for me to maneuver and apply old school techniques that are not needed when you work in a DAW environment. I enjoy working with the old school techniques and the challenges a limited count of tracks provides. It's not something that most would find as enjoyable as I do.

If you are doing a serious project, the project is the main objective so you will be better to utilize RealBand which will allow you to focus primarily on the music rather than the software. I recommend you learn and use RealBand for multi track recording.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 12/02/17 02:24 AM.

Beginners Forum
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
That's really creative, Charlie. I've never attempted that because I just use a DAW to do multitrack recording.

Many thanks Matt. Made me smile....

An aside note: You can also create multitrack recordings in Biab by clicking the 'Overdub underlying audio' button in the Record Audio window. This will merge each take with the existing audio track. You have no control over the track mix but you can continue to record takes as long as that button is checked.

In that same window, you see that punch in/out is also available.

All of the audio plug ins/ Vst's and DXI's are available as well. Harmonies by TC Helicon are available.

When you add the ability to record BIAB RealTracks, MIDI, MIDI Super Tracks; BIAB becomes a very robust multi track recorder in comparison to other multi track recorders produced by Zoom, Tascam, etc. The best most of those models could produce internally was a midi drum machine.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 12/02/17 02:26 AM.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Anything you save in Band in a Box can be opened in Real Band. It should load just like it was in BB. Then, you can add as many tracks as you need (with in reason of course).

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Beginners Forum
casak Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Guitarhacker..... this process with Realband is magic and simple.

Last edited by casak; 12/02/17 11:54 AM.
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Up to 48 individual channels in RealBand. Enough for most purposes smile

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Beginners Forum
casak Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hi Charlie,

I tried to move the audio track to performance track. Biab seems to pass the audio track and write Artist in the title of the Performance track, but this track does not sound ... it is silent.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
I agree that Real Band is the way to go...but Charlie's solution scores very high on the 'cool-workaround' meter..!

Flatfoot sez: Call me when 'Talent-in-a-Box' is ready to ship! -- [8{>

Got some tunes on You Tube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/flatfoot50
My BiaB lesson site:
http://jdwolfe0.wixsite.com/learnbiab
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I don’t know how old many of you are, but what Charlie described was known in the late 60s and early 70s as ‘sound on sound’. This layering was done with reel-to-reel tape decks, and it was a big deal.

It also was the forerunner of effects we routinely hear now in live performance. I had a device called an Echoplex, which was a short tape loop. I could play duets with myself during a solo.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
I don’t know how old many of you are, but what Charlie described was known in the late 60s and early 70s as ‘sound on sound’. This layering was done with reel-to-reel tape decks, and it was a big deal.

It also was the forerunner of effects we routinely hear now in live performance. I had a device called an Echoplex, which was a short tape loop. I could play duets with myself during a solo.

I'm old; been there - done that! I hated splicing tape!

I had a Dynacord Echocord: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiBeTGL-eCk

The same tape loop idea as your Echoplex.

Along with echos I could get the sound the Stones used in Satisfaction by turning the volume up on it and down on my amp. I attracted a lot of guitarist back then using that technique. Today the amp's gain control is used.

Things have really changed for the better haven't they?

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
AAhh the good old gig days mine was a Wem copycat still have it.

Things have really changed for the better have they?

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
copycat.png (77.79 KB, 88 downloads)
Last edited by beatmaster; 12/09/17 01:07 PM.

win 10 64 bit 16gb,i7 chip, ssd 500gb, m-audio air, ,Roland BK-7M, 1000,shure sm7b,sonar,acid,mixcraft, variety of plugins.Sample tank 3,Kontakt. TC Helicon Voicelive 3 2 .
https://beatmaster1.bandcamp.com/releases

Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
doesn't look like it runs on a tape that looks class mariod

win 10 64 bit 16gb,i7 chip, ssd 500gb, m-audio air, ,Roland BK-7M, 1000,shure sm7b,sonar,acid,mixcraft, variety of plugins.Sample tank 3,Kontakt. TC Helicon Voicelive 3 2 .

Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
The clackity, clack, clack of a poor splice is hard to replicate. I loved my olde copycat machine.

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
well you can tell you had one Teunis, takes me back, clickity,clack..priceless.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,480
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195