PG Music Home
Posted By: berntd Can BIAB do half diminished chords at all? - 11/05/23 10:26 AM
Hello,

I am just entering a song peppered with complicated chords and many of them are half diminished.

I searched how to enter these and it appears that Dh is the go.
It works but immediately then replaces the chord with Dim instead.

I have then also tried Dim#6 b7 etc but none of those work.

Which begs the questions: Can BIAB even do half diminished? And if so, how?

Best regards
Bernt
m7b5 should give you a half-diminished.
That happens because ‘h’ is coded into BIAB as a shortcut to enter m7b5. Type Ch and you get Cm7(b5)

There are others, such as ‘j’ for Maj7.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Can BIAB do half diminished chords at all? - 11/05/23 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by berntd
I searched how to enter these and it appears that Dh is the go.
It works but immediately then replaces the chord with Dim instead.
"Ch" works fine here as well as "Cm7b5". If it is changing as you said, then something is afoul and you need to do a Return to Factory Settings.
Dan is correct. You cannot redefine ‘h’ since it is built-in to BIAB, so to speak: already defined.
Ohh wait,

You are all saying I need to enter the Chord as just with an 'h' and not with a 'Dh'
What I searched seems have provided confusing info since I thought they meant D for diminished and h for half.
So tried to enter for example CDh
Where they probably meant is is a D chord followed by the h for half diminished as in just Ch
Dohh.

Best regards
Bernt
Yes, now you’ve got it.

But you raise an interesting point. If you can tell me where that example appears, I’ll pass a suggestion to the developers that Ch or Fh would be better examples than Dh, to reduce ambiguity.
Originally Posted by Matt Finley
Yes, now you’ve got it.

But you raise an interesting point. If you can tell me where that example appears, I’ll pass a suggestion to the developers that Ch or Fh would be better examples than Dh, to reduce ambiguity.

It was from a forum search.. here,
[url=https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=23427][/url]

But when re- reading all the text there, they did actually mention that a D0 was to be entered somewhere.
That happens when one scans through heaps of stuff to find an answer - I guess.

Best regards
Bernt
© PG Music Forums