PG Music Home
I just upgraded from BB2019 to BB2024.

The install-manager you run from within BB itself (The utilities menu) says all realtracks are downloaded and installed (This is the older version of install-manager however)

The new install-manager (Which I run manually outside of BB, since it is not the version that opens from within BB) says the following about all my 'old' realtracks (The ones I had before upgrading) ->

"This installer is newer than the one in your download folder"

Does that mean I need to download them all again, or can I be sure all these realtracks are still the same as the 'old' ones?
(If 'fixes' are deployed to realtracks I obviously don't want to miss out on those by not re-downloading them, but I also don't want to re-download them if the only difference is a date but not the actual content)

The install-manager from within BB2024 (Which is the same old one that came with BB2019) says everything is downloaded (All is green) but doesn't mention if some files are newer or older.

Also, the new install-manager does not seem able to tell if a file has already been installed. Every time I open it, it only says files are downloaded, but if I click the top-button "download all" it starts installing all the files that are already installed (The 'old' install-manager does not do this, and is able to tell what has already been installed)

Both install-managers are installed into the BB folder (And I assume they both exist because I upgraded to BB2024 from BB2019, although I don't understand why it didn't just update the 'old' install-manager instead of now having 2 different ones)

All this has unfortunately made me confused I must say; do I trust the 'old' install-manager that everything is installed, or do I trust the new install-manager and re-download all the files it says are newer than those in my download-folder?

Thank you.
jacob.
I'm not sure of the exact answer, but at least reinstalling everything guarantees that you are running the latest of everything available, this could include files that have been patched or updated since they were installed.

The latest Download manager is 1.077.
Is that the one you are using?

[Linked Image]

Attached picture 2023-12-15_9-07-31.jpg
I’m not sure either why the installers would both be there, but if you run both you shouldn’t go wrong; the installers do not overwrite newer files.
Does that mean I need to download them all again, or can I be sure all these realtracks are still the same as the 'old' ones?
(If 'fixes' are deployed to realtracks I obviously don't want to miss out on those by not re-downloading them, but I also don't want to re-download them if the only difference is a date but not the actual content)

This means you have the installer in your download folder (perhaps you downloaded it in 2019), but we have a newer one available. The RealTracks would be the same, but likely have many fixes and improvements since you downloaded them last. So my recommendation is yes, you should download and install them again. You can just press the "top" button (download and install all). This will re-download the newer ones, and will not re-download ones that are the same (if any).

All this has unfortunately made me confused I must say; do I trust the 'old' install-manager that everything is installed, or do I trust the new install-manager and re-download all the files it says are newer than those in my download-folder?

I recommend using the "new" one, and re-downloading/installing. The 'old' one does a basic check to see if you have the files installed, but it doesn't binary check every single file.
I have these 2:

"PG Music Download Manager", version 1.0.5.28 (2016)
Located in folder: BIAB\Data\DownloadManager
(This is the one that opens via BB's utility menu)

"Band-in-a-Box Install Manager", version 1.0.77
Located in BIAB\Data\InstallManager
(This one I have to open manually. It's the one I downloaded after purchasing the upgrade to BB2024)

I just noticed now they have different names, one being download-manager and the other being install-manager, but they seem to be serving mostly the same purpose.

The download-manager (The 'old' software) says all is green and installed.

The install-manager says all realtracks are newer than my previously downloaded realtracks (Despite the files having the exact same names) and wants to download everything again (Which I have started doing now, even though I don't know if I'm basically just downloading the same realtracks-files since there is no version-info per file to indicate if its content is different or if it's just the file-date. If it's just the file-date that's different, then downloading all these gigabytes is obviously pointless and wasted time and band-width)

And also; re-installing all these realtracks is of course a waste of time if it's completely the same files I already have.

I wish there was an actual verification-option, that would scan the content that is actually installed, and flag if something was out of date, so that only missing data got downloaded and installed.

But anyway, I've set it to just download everything all over again (~16 hours that may or may not be well-spent, but so be it smile )
Originally Posted by Andrew - PG Music

This means you have the installer in your download folder (perhaps you downloaded it in 2019), but we have a newer one available. The RealTracks would be the same, but likely have many fixes and improvements since you downloaded them last. So my recommendation is yes, you should download and install them again. You can just press the "top" button (download and install all). This will re-download the newer ones, and will not re-download ones that are the same (if any).

I recommend using the "new" one, and re-downloading/installing. The 'old' one does a basic check to see if you have the files installed, but it doesn't binary check every single file.

Roger that, thank you smile

I'm letting the new install-manager download all the things it says it wants to download.
Originally Posted by JEL
... I just noticed now they have different names, one being download-manager and the other being install-manager, but they seem to be serving mostly the same purpose.
Thanks for clearing up the mystery how you had two installers, and thanks to Andrew for the answer.
© PG Music Forums