PG Music Home
Posted By: Funkifized Unwanted dominant chords - 01/04/24 06:15 AM
So, I've got a tune entered in the key of Dm. In the verse there is a Bb chord, followed by a C chord. The electric piano, which is 70sEZSoulFunk Electric Piano, keeps giving me dominant chords for the Bb and C chords. I love the feel of the Real Track, but I don't want the dominant chords. Is this just part of the RealTrack, to make it "Soul"-like? Inappropriate dominant chords are not working for me.
Posted By: Cerio Re: Unwanted dominant chords - 01/04/24 08:10 AM
I don't think there's much you can do within Biab, since realtracks are just audio recordings, and if these major chords were originally recorded as dominant chords, you won't be able to change that.

However, you could try to use playable realtracks if you have that piano sound and you can emulate the rhythm later with midi, but I'm not really familiar with that feature, I experimented a bit when it was introduced and the result was not really good.

Another maybe better would be using Melodyne to edit the audio, which will allow you to remove those annoying 7ths from those chords.
Posted By: DC Ron Re: Unwanted dominant chords - 01/04/24 11:37 AM
I experimented with your piano (RT 4505) and saw the occasional 7th if that's what you want to remove. Did some experimentation and came up with a few ideas...in Song Settings, force to simple arrangement and disable natural arrangements. Then when an offending 7th shows up, highlight the passage and use F8 to generate another version. This is perhaps more labor intensive than we'd like, but I was able to get 7th-free progressions for RT 4505 using this approach. Good luck!
Posted By: Funkifized Re: Unwanted dominant chords - 01/04/24 12:55 PM
If I use F8 to regenerate a highlighted section, what is to keep it from adding 7ths upon future regenerations? I'm assuming that is freeze the track, but then will F8 regenerate other sections of the track if the track has been frozen?
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Unwanted dominant chords - 01/04/24 04:26 PM
For tips about this, consider going to the Tips and Tricks Forum and reading the article I wrote. It's called When BIAB Plays Chords That Are Not Quite What You Wrote. https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=694482#Post694482
Posted By: DC Ron Re: Unwanted dominant chords - 01/04/24 05:29 PM
When you selectively regenerate a specified range of a track, the rest of the track is frozen and will be unaffected. It has been a while since I've read Matt's excellent article on the topic.
Posted By: Funkifized Re: Unwanted dominant chords - 01/05/24 03:00 AM
This isn't working for me. Got a flat 7 on beat one every time. Not sure why. I'm in the key of Dm, so I'm not sure why Bb7 is such a necessity. Ab note isn't in the key sig.
Posted By: Funkifized Re: Unwanted dominant chords - 01/05/24 03:22 AM
'On Jazz RealTracks, JazzUp Triads to Sevenths' is off. I tried all of the suggestions in Matt's document, but no avail. I even changed the Bb to Bb(add2), but I can't get rid of the Ab note in the Bb chord. Occasionally the C chord leaves off the Bb note.
Posted By: Lee N Re: Unwanted dominant chords - 01/05/24 10:12 AM
I wonder if there could be a problem with that realtrack.

I loaded style _NOPROB.STY.
Left the key set to default C
Made the song 8 bars
Entered the chord progression Dm/// C/// Bb/// //// Dm/// C/// Bb/// ////

After multiple regenerations I get Dm Triad, Bb Triad but the C will often generate a Cm. Not once do I get a b7 in any of them.

Something is clearly off here.
Posted By: Lee N Re: Unwanted dominant chords - 01/05/24 10:18 AM
Also, just checked and the piano roll shows an F in the chord C(m) but the notation window shows C7 with a Bb. The audio is clearly playing a Cm triad.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Unwanted dominant chords - 01/05/24 12:35 PM
If the problem is limited to one style, freeze a song that demonstrates the problem and email it to support@pgmusic.com and reference this thread.
© PG Music Forums