PG Music Home
Posted By: musocity Is Biab the New RealBand ? - 03/25/24 11:24 AM
All the development seems to have gone into Biab rather than RealBand, the way things are going, will RealBand still be viable down the track ?
Once the other DAW features are added to the Biab Tracks view it will leave RealBand in the past.
You can see in the video Biab-Frozen-Tracks-RB.mp4
that it's way behind in loading speed than loading a frozen song in Biab, RealBand is not loading the frozen Utility tracks only the RealCharts at the moment so it would take even longer when it's fixed, same if you want to change the tempo it has to re-encode all the wav files to a new tempo. Once Biab has the same instant non destructive Track editing like Reaper I don't think there would be much purpose for RealBand, as Biab is becoming the new "DAW".
There would be simply too much work needed to bring RealBand up to the standard of current DAW's as well as not being crossplatform, though this was suggested years n years ago to have a 64bit DAW crossplatform code rather than needing another extra 6 months each year for a Mac version.
So are we going to see RealBand phased out with the advancement of Biab and the BiabVST ?

How far has Biab come from 2007, whereas RealBand has not changed that much and still uses long winded destructive editing:
[Linked Image]

Attached picture BB2007-24.png
Posted By: musocity Re: Is Biab the New RealBand ? - 03/27/24 12:00 AM
This is an example of the automation lane that can be added, so you could have vol, pan etc... and also have clip edit vol and fade.
The lane is just copy & pasted from RealBand, I remember asking for that volume automation years back in RealBand, maybe they can just copy the code over to Biab ?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: musocity Re: Is Biab the New RealBand ? - 03/28/24 05:09 AM
This will make it too easy

[Linked Image]

Attached File
Biab-Reaper-Item-Edits3.gif  (170 downloads)
Posted By: justanoldmuso Re: Is Biab the New RealBand ? - 03/28/24 03:40 PM
yummy yum yum lol

om
Posted By: Vincente Re: Is Biab the New RealBand ? - 03/28/24 07:26 PM
Yes, apparently. I think PG developers should dedicate more time in developing BIAB app. and kill the real band app. grin
Posted By: shlind Re: Is Biab the New RealBand ? - 03/28/24 07:53 PM
I have not used RealBand so much myself only sporadically but I wonder, is there a list available somewhere that shows the uniqueness of RB i.e. major functions/features that only are available in RealBand and not in other common DAWs? (what can I do in RB that I can not do in other DAWs?)
Posted By: justanoldmuso Re: Is Biab the New RealBand ? - 03/28/24 08:04 PM
V.

lol if we come back in 10 years i'm sure pg will still offer rb.
time will tell if i'm right.
the problem today is rb is not an instant app.
to appreciate its depth of features one needs to be willing to spend lots of time with. rb.
frankly i dont care whether bb or rb..i just want one or other
to be my 'work center' rather thzn haveing to flit around between pg and non pg music apps.
if you read these forums youll see many users want rb to survive. heres what i want in rb...
..nd editing
..the new bb mpicker.
..the bb new lovely generation speed.
and there other things...to save me retyping see my bb and rb wishes in the wishlist forums.

shlind.
rb unique..some examples
..genning tracks of course
..very strong midi tricks
and there are others...just read the manual to see if rb is for you.
other rb users can add their own opinions.

happiness.
om 🇨🇦 🇬🇧
© PG Music Forums