PG Music Home
Posted By: ari Band in the Box 2024 v.1109 surprises - 03/28/24 04:51 PM
I did an experiment with this new great BiB 2024 v.1109.
1. Made a short 8 bar chord sequence, just 8 bars, no repeats.
2. Style ZZJAZZ, tempo 140.
3. For bass I chose Hi-Q Upright Acoustic Bass 'N'.
No Midi patch.
4. When I came back to Mixer I noticed that BiB had changed the Track name 'Bass* to 'Piano 1'.
And Piano track was changed to 'Piano 2' (of course).
5. I played my 8 bars and saved the result.
6. Exported the Song as Audio File. 24bit/44.1. Sounded OK.
7. Next I exported the Song as Audio File 24bit/48Khz. Didn't sound ok anymore. The tempo was faster and the pitch higher.
8. 24bit/96 was still faster like playing the 24/48 at double speed, high pitched. Funny but not in the right way, I think.

Could someone please explain why this happened?

And yes, the program seems to crash easily and too often.

I have had none of such difficulties with BiB 2023 v.1013.

My setup is I think quite normal: Windows 10 64bit Home with latest updates. Lenovo Legion Y730-17ich. Intel i5-8300H, 2.30GHz, 16 GB memory. RME Babyface interface/ASIO. N.I., IK and Steiberg, Finale and Reaper. I have used (on/off) BiB from the year 1, I think, from Atari and Windows 3 era, or so.

BiB v.1013 has been stable no problems so I continue using it.
Ari,
It's very strange that nobody replied to you yet...
I think new update should be rolled out soon, not sure if it will solve any of your issues.

As far as I can tell you have two main issues:

1) Auto renaming mixer track whe you place content.

2) inconsistent/faulty results when exporting audio at different frequencies.

------
#1 I think is sort of normal. What underlying content you had with Hi-q Instrument. Was it something chosen, like Real Track chart, Super track or such or you notated it yourself? It might have just defaulted to piano, changing your other track... I wonder if you freeze tracks except for the one you are working on, will it change the frozen track names? This I feel is more of a workflow item, not a bug.

#2. I believe it is fixed in a patch that is being tested now. Hopefully they will release it soon. Sometimes Andrew lets users test patch before official release. If it's somewhat urgent, perhaps you should ask them.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Band in the Box 2024 v.1109 surprises - 04/01/24 03:04 PM
Ya, too many problems....

Lets try just one.
I did an experiment with this new great BiB 2024 v.1109.
1. Made a short 8 bar chord sequence, just 8 bars, no repeats.
2. Style ZZJAZZ, tempo 140.
3. For bass I chose Hi-Q Upright Acoustic Bass 'N'.
No Midi patch.
4. When I came back to Mixer I noticed that BiB had changed the Track name 'Bass* to 'Piano 1'.
And Piano track was changed to 'Piano 2' (of course).

I did this and it worked just fine. No changes in names. So, why do you say "...no Midi patch"? I was able to assign the HI-Q.
Regarding the naming, there is a Preference for that (see pic). But that really should not effect what you claim here.
If this was you only problem I would say you need to do a Return to Factory Settings.

One down...
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Attached picture Screenshot 2024-04-01 095609.png
Attached picture Screenshot 2024-04-01 100035.png
<< 3. For bass I chose Hi-Q Upright Acoustic Bass 'N'.
No Midi patch.
4. When I came back to Mixer I noticed that BiB had changed the Track name 'Bass* to 'Piano 1'.>>

What happened between 3 and 4?
When you chose the Hi-Q Upright Acoustic Bass 'N', that assigns the Midi .tgs patch from Sforzando. It appears that when chose the midi instrument, it didn't load for some reason. So, I assume you are saying that exiting the Select Midi instrument menu, the Mixer displayed the default Piano 1 rather than the Hi-Q instrument you chose.

I can duplicate your selection result by clicking on No midi patch which you may have inadvertently clicked at some point. That selection is directly below the Hi-Q instrument selection so even a slight mouse movement could have shifted away from your selection choice.

Attached picture No midi patch menu item.jpg
Attached picture No midi patch selected.jpg
Posted By: DrDan Re: Band in the Box 2024 v.1109 surprises - 04/01/24 06:03 PM
[Linked Image]
6. Exported the Song as Audio File. 24bit/44.1. Sounded OK.
7. Next I exported the Song as Audio File 24bit/48Khz. Didn't sound ok anymore. The tempo was faster and the pitch higher.
8. 24bit/96 was still faster like playing the 24/48 at double speed, high pitched. Funny but not in the right way, I think.

Could someone please explain why this happened?

I repeated this exactly as you indicated [By the way I have BIAB 2024 v 1111]. I suspected I would have problems since I felt other sound systems whould need to be refreshed for this to happen. But low and behold all sounded exactly the same. My external hardware remained locked to 24/44.1 as best I could tell. But the final files where much different in size. My ear could not tell the difference.
[Linked Image]
So for this one, you have to wait for the next update.

Attached picture Screenshot 2024-04-01 130433.png
Posted By: DrDan Re: Band in the Box 2024 v.1109 surprises - 04/01/24 06:10 PM
And Finally,

Originally Posted by ari
And yes, the program seems to crash easily and too often.

I have had none of such difficulties with BiB 2023 v.1013.

BiB v.1013 has been stable no problems so I continue using it.

I have not had any experience with "crashing" for BIAB 2024. Your system looks fine. Do you have both BIAB 2023 and BIAB 2024 installed? That would be unusual. Otherwise, when is the last time you did a RTFS?

Good luck.
Dan
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Band in the Box 2024 v.1109 surprises - 04/01/24 06:40 PM
Per Andrew with PG Music Support in +++ THIS +++ thread:
Another thing you can do, which is good for troubleshooting, is to:

1. Close Band-in-a-Box.
2. Add a file called safemode.txt to the Preferences folder. (contents of the file doesn't matter)
3. Boot Band-in-a-Box, and you should see red text confirming that it is in "safe mode".

This just means it is running at factory settings.

You can do a test to see if the problem happens, and then you can close Band-in-a-Box and delete the file and you won't have made any changes to your settings.
Posted By: ari Re: Band in the Box 2024 v.1109 surprises - 04/04/24 06:24 PM
Thank you for your reply Rustyspoon#.
I just installed the latest update 1111 and at least the render problem seems to be corrected now.
The mixer auto renaming is just a small nuisance. Not a problem really.
So if this new update proves more stable than 1109 I'll be happy.
Posted By: ari Re: Band in the Box 2024 v.1109 surprises - 04/04/24 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by Charlie Fogle
<< 3. For bass I chose Hi-Q Upright Acoustic Bass 'N'.
No Midi patch.
4. When I came back to Mixer I noticed that BiB had changed the Track name 'Bass* to 'Piano 1'.>>

What happened between 3 and 4?
When you chose the Hi-Q Upright Acoustic Bass 'N', that assigns the Midi .tgs patch from Sforzando. It appears that when chose the midi instrument, it didn't load for some reason. So, I assume you are saying that exiting the Select Midi instrument menu, the Mixer displayed the default Piano 1 rather than the Hi-Q instrument you chose.

I can duplicate your selection result by clicking on No midi patch which you may have inadvertently clicked at some point. That selection is directly below the Hi-Q instrument selection so even a slight mouse movement could have shifted away from your selection choice.
-----------------------
Sorry, I should have written more precisely.
So what usually happens to me with BiaB goes like this: When I write my own bass part in Midi, I do it first on Melody track or Soloist track and then copy/move it to the (frozen) Bass track and select this Hi-Q Upright Acoustic Bass 'N' for instrument.
When returning back to arranging I (usually) notice that BiaB instead of the Hi-Q. sound plays an ordinary GM patch sound.
In order to avoid that happening I started to use this routine: I select the Hi-Q. .tqs patch and by returning back I click the option 'Select no Midi patch'. I don't know where I got it but that ensures that no ordinary GM patch will be used by BiaB.
It has been my habit so long time that I have not even tested if it's necessary or not any more.
And yes, usually these problems are caused by user errors but - I'm sure - not this time.
Anyway it's nothing of a serious problem. Actually not a problem at all. Maybe a little nuisance.
Ok. I understand. I could see that the No Midi Patch was likely the cause of the change on the track from Bass to Piano 1. You happen to do it intentionally rather than inadvertently clicking the "Select No Midi Patch" button.

To copy or move the midi bass you recorded onto the Melody track there's no need to do the 'select no midi patch' step.
I tested and successfully copied the midi data of a SuperMidi bass instrument onto the Bass Track by taking the following steps to erase the underlying Style midi of the Bass Track.

Assign the Hi-Q patch to the Bass Track first.
Record the Melody Track
Erase the Bass Track - Track Actions\Erase Track\Erase Midi - Yes
Copy or move the melody track data to the Bass track that has the Hi-Q Bass assigned and freeze the track
Select play and the bass should properly play the copied midi data using the H-Q Patch you had previously loaded. I used the copy choice so I could compare and verify the Bass Track was properly playing the midi data generated by the SuperMidi instrument on the Melody Track. The tracks were exactly the same.

Attached picture Copy Melody Data to Bass Track.jpg
Posted By: ari Re: Band in the Box 2024 v.1109 surprises - 04/05/24 04:16 PM
Charlie Fogle, thank you very much for nice and friendly replies smile
Posted By: ari Re: Band in the Box 2024 v.1109 surprises - 04/05/24 04:23 PM
a propos Dr.Dan.

Being a non-English speaking foreigner I haven't a faintest idea what does RTFS actually mean. Synonym for the English-English RTBM?
Posted By: jpettit Re: Band in the Box 2024 v.1109 surprises - 04/05/24 04:50 PM
RTFS = Return to Factory Settings, under options menu
Posted By: ari Re: Band in the Box 2024 v.1109 surprises - 04/06/24 01:31 PM
Thanks jpettit smile

(Thinking by myself: What would I gain by RTFS'ing? Haven't even changed anything...Hm,,not much anyway)
© PG Music Forums