PG Music Home
Posted By: John Conley New update/build 297 - 03/26/10 12:00 PM
Thought I'd post this because even I ignore the sticky's at the top after a while, so read the top one just posted, though they need to fix the links. A lot of Realtracks were worked on in this, and you can see by the list that it includes a free Dxi synth from Coyote for 64 bit systems, and I compared that and my Ketron and with the standard midi files I was surprised by the quality.
Posted By: allis Re: New update/build 297 - 03/26/10 01:19 PM
From the Coyote Readme file:

CoyoteWT works with any compatible DXi host program to allow it to produce
very realistic instrument sounds. It does this by using a database of recordings
of actual instruments, and playing individual notes back on command. The database is
a file called GM.dls, which is included with each copy of Windows.

So it doesn't present any sounds of its own. It's a mini sampler playing the bank that has always been provided with Windows. That bank is now a lot better than it once was; the result is good.
Posted By: rharv Re: New update/build 297 - 03/26/10 01:31 PM
I don't want to start any rumors, but I have heard that the DLS file format makes replacing the sounds pretty easy. Haven't researched it lately, but this may be the nudge I need!

Wiki'd-
"The DLS family is closely related to the proprietary SoundFonts format from Creative Labs. All versions of DLS to date are based on the wavetable music synthesis technique, however in principle the DLS file format could be used to represent instrument definitions for other music synthesis techniques. "DLS" is an acronym for "Downloadable Sounds", and also the initials of DLS 1 project leader Dave Sparks of Creative Labs."

My memory tells me there is a way to make soundfonts into dls files. Not sure if this interests others too.
Posted By: allis Re: New update/build 297 - 03/26/10 01:49 PM
This part is not not a rumor: Violating GM.dls is the work of seconds. It lies there (or at least used to) unprotected in a Windows directory, just asking for it. One needs only to find or build a replacement.

DLS (no offense --I know you know) is the ancient "downloadable sounds" sample-format that never caught on before Soundfonts pushed it aside. I'm now hopelessly vague on the editing and the conversion possibilities. Never did much of it in the first place, and it was 12 years ago, or something. I seem to remember tinkering was no problem.

So maybe we should get fancy with this.
Posted By: rharv Re: New update/build 297 - 03/26/10 01:53 PM
As I edited above, I believe you can rename sf2 files to work .. but as you mentioned, it has been a while.

Time to pull out the olde backups of soundfonts this weekend.. and tinker a bit!
Posted By: allis Re: New update/build 297 - 03/26/10 02:16 PM
That's the way I remember it, too -- SF2 conversion was a snap, and possibly amounted only to renaming.

Edit:

Here's something from Jennifer Hruska (whose word is good) in Electronic Musician in 2000:

DLS sound libraries are more difficult to find, but programs such as Awave and Audio Compositor allow you to open a SoundFont and save it as a DLS Level 1 or DLS Level 2 file. Be aware, however, that when you convert from a SoundFont to a DLS Level 1 file, you lose any filtering or layering programmed into the SoundFont patch.

The only ominous part is the bit about losing your layering and filters in DLS Level 1. Any good soundfont I ever made or acquired depended a lot on layering and filtering. Let's hope "DLS Level 2" preserves that stuff.

Her strong implication is that there is somewhat more involved than re-naming. But that software is common enough.
Posted By: rharv Re: New update/build 297 - 03/26/10 03:26 PM
Another learning spot -
http://spheredev.org/wiki/Changing_soundfonts

includes 'rules' for renaming DSL files..
Posted By: allis Re: New update/build 297 - 03/26/10 04:25 PM
Cool.

GM.dls lives in Windows/system32/drivers.

I used Awave to make a Level2 DLS of my favorite (basically Jennifer Hruska) soundfont and shoved it in there as GM.dls. So far so good.

But El Coyote refuses to load it, 71 megs insted of the original 3 1/2. Size limit? Accepts no substitutes of any kind? Awave version of a DLS file defective? Mystery.

Forge ahead.
Posted By: rharv Re: New update/build 297 - 03/26/10 04:56 PM
Even being able to improve the MS wavetable is an improvement!
Forte probably does have some proprietary stuff

The free version is probably meant to not be tampered with..
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: New update/build 297 - 03/26/10 05:38 PM
Yes, the Coyote Wavetable is a synth that uses the GM.DLS soundset that is included in Windows. This is the soundset that is used for the MS GS Wavetable synth. To my ears, the Coyote Wavetable sounds better than the MS GS Wavetable, possibly because the Coyote Wavetable has built-in reverb support. The Roland VSC DXi has slightly better sounds, and more sounds (but doesn't work on 64 bit Windows.).

The Coyote Wavetable also doesn't crash on BBW exit in Vista.

The Forte synth is different, and much better. It has its own sounds, and is configurable, works with other sounds etc.
Posted By: jford Re: New update/build 297 - 03/26/10 05:44 PM
Hmmm, I don't have AWAVE, but I still have Audio Compositor. I'll have to play with it this weekend and see if I can convert one of my favorite soundfonts.
Posted By: allis Re: New update/build 297 - 03/27/10 05:29 PM
I am going to report no results in loading the CoyoteWT with new sounds. I tried 10 or so progressively-smaller soundsets converted and renamed to to GM.dls. I was able to get them to stick in the correct directory, but the Coyote player will not load anything except for the original Windows one.
© PG Music Forums