PG Music Home
Posted By: sax80 Real Book Software - 05/11/10 02:30 PM
Has one purchased The Real Book software by Sax Jazz.com?
Posted By: Muzic Trax Re: Real Book Software - 05/12/10 12:46 AM
I went there but didn't see a link for the software?

Do you have a link? Thanks,

Trax
Posted By: raymb1 Re: Real Book Software - 05/12/10 01:34 AM
http://www.realbooksoftware.com/FakebooksAndMore.php

Check this site out.
Posted By: Jazzman Re: Real Book Software - 05/12/10 11:45 AM
Hi Sax80

I bought the first in this series but upon receipt I did not like the feel of the thing

1. Crude photo copies of lead sheets - is this being done legally or not?

2. The program itself is not the best and is not up expected strandard

3. The recordings are from a number of different labels and no mention of any agreement to reproduce

I felt so uneasy that I uninstalled uninstalled it total

Brian
Posted By: DrDan Re: Real Book Software - 05/12/10 12:33 PM
Quote:

http://www.realbooksoftware.com/FakebooksAndMore.php

Check this site out.

Ok, this guy was a real problem for me. After the appliction stopped working and they would not provide any help without me paying for an upgrade, their support group generally told me to take a flying leap. I told them I would be sure to spread the word of the poor support! So here is the word!
Posted By: John Conley Re: Real Book Software - 05/12/10 05:22 PM
I ordered some RealBook thing and got burned. They promised a library of band in a box songs. I looked at the first 30 songs, and then in my main library of songs I've collected and it was like they cloned my directory. All the songs, warts and all, starting with * or _ to preecede the A's were IDENTICAL, so they downloaded off the net whatever and charged me for it. And the RealBook stuff was just a quick photocopy. Sad. Sadder that I fell for it.

Ask for the names of the songs, and an example of the pages before you take the leap.
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: Real Book Software - 05/13/10 05:41 PM
A comment about this being illegal or not. Of course it is. But, if we're all going to be that tightassed about it then we have to dump any files we've downloaded from anywhere that includes a melody. Chord changes alone are ok but not melodies if we want to be strict about it.
The one really useful thing about this is having the original recordings to listen to because it's true, if you're trying to do a tune you've never heard before, you can be the hottest reader in the world but you're not going to do it right just by reading a fake book chart. Not even close unless it's just another 12 bar blues and even then there's probably song specific licks and rhythmic punches in it that are not on the chart.
I can't comment about the support but it can be useful to have it all in one package. I also agree you can recreate the whole thing yourself just by reading this forum and doing some downloading. All these original recordings are also available to listen to legally on various radio type sites, Rhapsody is one, there's others. If you want to keep a copy, just set your sound card to record whatever is playing at the time. The quality is not the best but for learning the tune, it's plenty good enough.

Bob
Posted By: DrDan Re: Real Book Software - 05/13/10 11:52 PM
Quote:

I can't comment about the support but ....

Bob

Well I can! The program has a auto time out feature so that after a period of time it will stop working. This means no music or charts available to you! Then you have to call and pay for an upgrade. So you are actually only leasing the sofware.
But don't get me going on this again. This will be my last warning.
Posted By: Jakob Re: Real Book Software - 05/14/10 02:30 AM
I went to the site and read some of the stuff. The guy talks about pdf's being cumbersome to work with. I have Real books 1,2, and 3; the New Real Books 1,2, and 3; and 5 other Real books on pdf. It comes with a master list so you can find whatever song you are looking for. I've never had a problem with it. I use it mostly on a gig when someone requests a tune that I don't know. I don't know what product that guy is really selling but I can tell you that I'd rather carry around 11 fake books on my laptop via PDF rather than lugging around the real thing.
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: Real Book Software - 05/14/10 07:18 AM
Quote:

I have Real books 1,2, and 3; the New Real Books 1,2, and 3; and 5 other Real books on pdf. It comes with a master list so you can find whatever song you are looking for. I've never had a problem with it. I use it mostly on a gig when someone requests a tune that I don't know. I don't know what product that guy is really selling but I can tell you that I'd rather carry around 11 fake books on my laptop via PDF rather than lugging around the real thing.

Yeah, but where'd you get that from Jakob? I bet you got it from the East Coast cousin of the guy a friend of mine got that CD from here in LA. You didn't get that off Amazon.

Bob
Posted By: Jakob Re: Real Book Software - 05/15/10 02:20 AM
Honestly I don't remember, I think an army buddy of mine gave it to me. I'm not trying to promote pirating. The point I was making is that the guy at that site was stating that his software is better than the pdf's. I know most of us, myself included has used or bought a Real book some time in their lives. Is that legal? I was told it's illegal to sell a Real book but not to buy one. I don't know if that's true or not. I do have a few legal Fake books. And just for the record you CAN buy Real Book on Amazon.com
Posted By: hhs Re: Real Book Software - 05/15/10 08:17 AM
I started 15 years ago with Biab. On the internet I found all what they sell. I educate people in useing BIAB in Denmark and all what I have collected of songs, real books, songs with melodies, jazz you name it I have among 19.000 songs. First I used BB finder but it don't work anymore with W7 but now I use songs in BIAB and that's fine. All my student got the whole thing free on a CD. Maybe it's a kind of pirate collection, but they don't pay for it.

Hans from Denmark
Posted By: John Conley Re: Real Book Software - 05/15/10 10:25 AM
The word student is a key, mostly in my mind. It is Amazing to think of all the work Band in a Box users have done to put all those songs in to the software. I need to go through and clean mine up. I think a special routine to strip all the spurious data from everything would be in order, all the add on stuff most of us don't want. That's maybe just me, but weird changes in instruments, the pop ups all that I don't want, just would put in myself. So many files, so little time.

The batch strip file edit utility. Too bad someone couldn't do that, then sort out the ones that say they have a melody due to one note and don't, then strip out the files that are the same, and clean up the lyrics, and make them all...WWOW..I'm outta control again.
Posted By: Peewhy Re: Real Book Software - 08/17/10 06:31 AM
If your looking for legal charts, you should try www.myrealbook.com. Only charts (no melodies), but legal. And if you want to listen to the original recordings, search Youtube !
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Real Book Software - 08/17/10 08:44 PM
One method i have used that is pretty cool is to open a BiaB song file in RB, and run through it to see what all it has, and then find the same midi file on the net, that has the lyrics and melody in it.

Then make sure that they have teh same number of bars, and that the key and tempo are the same. Strip all the tracks out except the melody and lyrics and import that into the BiaB file inside RB and it should work great. Sometimes you have to highlight copy, cut and paste it to get the midi in line with the BiaB file.
Posted By: earl kirby Re: Real Book Software - 08/18/10 08:30 PM
A few years back there was a site where you could download the real books pdfs for free located in Holland. Haven't seen it up in years. But I got all of mine from there. I also had purchased several original fake books from music dealers under the counter. A couple of my favorites where the tune dex books one and two. I finally tore them apart and scanned them into pdf format as they are much easier to use. I have seen several cd's listed from time to time on ebay for sell with huge collections. They come and go. Most of the ones I see on ebay seem to be from Canada for some reason. At the present time I have copies of real books in C, Eb, Bb and Bass clef, "The Book" "The Colorado Book" Cuban book, dixieland book, and the Blues Book. And yes, you are all correct, these are all illegal. But they do come in real handy when I'm looking for an old tune. And yes, I will admit I have given copies of the disk away on occassion to friends. I will also admit I got my first copy of biab from a friend but I also don't have a clue as to how much I have spent over the years updating to the latest version so I could get the latest and best with documentation. BTW, I think I've still got a copy of that disk copy of biab 3.1 in my floppy disk case!!! Will never throw that away cause it was the best advertisment PG Music could have ever made!
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: Real Book Software - 08/18/10 11:16 PM
Quote:

And just for the record you CAN buy Real Book on Amazon.com

Not the ones I'm talking about. The problem with "legal" Real Books is they've usually been over simplified for students, the changes are wrong and they're not "Real" at all. The underground ones I've heard about (of course I've not actually seen one) are actual transcriptions taken from the original or most famous versions of those tunes. If you get called for a gig around here and it's a Real Book gig, you better show up with the right Real Book that matches what everybody else has unless you're experienced enough to have memorized several hundred standards.
I see Earl is living in the right place to be admitting to illegal activities on an open forum...yeah I know, it's really no big deal, the Real Book police are not going to knock on our doors any time soon.

Bob
Posted By: Mac Re: Real Book Software - 08/19/10 03:23 AM
jazzmammal,

Howard Leonard is indeed publishing the original Real Book series legally now, paying licensing.

That is available lots of places, such as Amazon.

Identical, but legal.

--Mac
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: Real Book Software - 08/20/10 05:15 AM
Holy crap Mac, I've got to get out more. Where's the fun now? No more furtively sneaking into that little shop up on Pico? Twenty bucks on Amazon? You're right, they sure look the same to me. It cost me a cool C note 8 years ago for the 3 volumes and they're getting pretty dog eared. Then a friend got me the CD and I've been printing out pages to replace those that are either missing or too messed up to use any more. I've been thinking about springing for some new books. Sixty bucks is better than a hundred and it's legal even. Hmmm, isn't that the same argument concerning some other things that society's been fighting about for the last 40 years?

Bob
© PG Music Forums