PG Music Home
Posted By: dmrodes No sound on playback? - 06/29/10 01:28 PM
I'm sure I'm overlooking some totally obvious thing here... I was editing an .sgu file and went to save it as a .wav - and suddenly there was no sound on playback... tried other BIAB files - same thing... mp3s play fine via WMP, etc... but no sound in BIAB...
Mute Audio is NOT checked....
I must've done something without realizing it, but I cannot figure it out...........
Posted By: Mac Re: No sound on playback? - 06/29/10 01:51 PM
Check the Faders in your soundcard's software mixer, accessed either via the little speaker icon in the taskbar or via the Control Panel.

See if any of them have mysteriously been turned all the way down or muted.

If no joy there, check the control panel for whatever DXi synth you may be using, locate its Volume Fader tab and check to see that all volume faders including the Master are still turned up ALL THE WAY.

Don't know if this is your exact problem, but I have encountered that occasionally on an XP SP3 machine here. Problem is that it happens so sporadically that I don't think it is easy for development to duplicate, or to duplicate at all. Might be some mundane difference in an OS setting somewhere or the like.

I do seem to notice that happens only after I've done a lot of editing or the like in BiaB, leading me to believe that it is some sort of resource issue maybe.

And - If all else fails, try a "Return to Factory Settings" under the Opt menu, but pick the SECOND button there, so that the wizard can re-address your soundcard and MIDI synth.

HTH,

--Mac
Posted By: dmrodes Re: No sound on playback? - 06/29/10 02:07 PM
Thanks - but did all you suggested and still no sound...
Posted By: Mac Re: No sound on playback? - 06/29/10 02:21 PM
*Try playing an older ALL MIDI style. Can you hear it?

*Inside BiaB, hit the "Combo" radio button over on the lefthand side of the instrument track names and see if the Volume there is at least on 90.

**If all else fails, you may fihd joy faster by contacting pgmusic support directly, via either the tollfree hotline or email.** If on the phone, have your BiaB computer booted up and in front of you. They are prety good at talking you through things and solving these kind of problems.

--Mac
Posted By: dmrodes Re: No sound on playback? - 06/29/10 07:59 PM
Spoke to the support crew, and nailed the problem within minutes - seems there's a bug with Win 7 - if you click on 'Edit Audio' and then 'Adjust Output Level of Audio (Quick)' it somehow mutes all audio for BIAB.... and the only solution is to reload BIAB.... nice, eh?
Posted By: dmrodes Re: No sound on playback? - 06/30/10 12:13 PM
Isn't this 'bug' something that should have been made known (by PGmusic support) to all BIAB/Win 7 users?
Posted By: John Conley Re: No sound on playback? - 06/30/10 01:51 PM
What do you mean "reload" biab.

I run Windows 7 and never had this happen. Do you mean 'reinstall', or exit and startup again?
Posted By: dmrodes Re: No sound on playback? - 06/30/10 02:45 PM
Re-install BIAB from scratch to a new folder - as directed by your support staff....

I'm still running 2008, so maybe it the bug was particular to that release??
Posted By: Mac Re: No sound on playback? - 07/01/10 01:04 AM
You ahould have told us what version you are using in your first post up there.

Yes, it makes a difference.

And I think everybody replying to you assumed we were talking about BiaB 2010.5 - or at least 2010...

--Mac
Posted By: jford Re: No sound on playback? - 07/01/10 01:28 AM
Well, BIAB 2008 came out before Windows 7, so there may definitely be some issues there. A lot of folks are running 2010 or 2010.5 fine with Windows 7, but it was tested in that environment. I don't believe that 2008 was ever tested in a Windows 7 environment, so all bets are off.
Posted By: Kid Visio Re: No sound on playback? - 12/17/16 02:05 AM
"No sound" solved by quiting BIAB and restarting it. I got no sound on playback of a song. But another DAW was able to produce sound. Closed it.
Saved my current BIAB song as Midi file, closed BIAB and played the Midi just fine using Windows Media Player.

When I re-opened BIAB and played my song, I could hear it. No settings changed. I had simply re-started BIAB.

This suggestion isn't in the FAQ and should be added to the file at http://www.pgmusic.com/tutorial_bbw_nosound.htm

I use Windows 10. I had left BIAB open for over a day with the computer going to sleep more than once. It's a quirk of Windows 10.
© PG Music Forums