PG Music Home
Posted By: funkycornwall DAW Plug-in Mode - 07/21/10 04:09 PM
I tried the DAW plug-in mode recently with Reaper and noticed that BIAB took hold of my asio card meaning that Reaper could not function. I tried starting up Reaper first and then BIAB and it still occurred. I was interested to try the drag and drop function - how do others find it? Obviously only one program at a time can use asio so I think I am doing something wrong here.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: DAW Plug-in Mode - 07/21/10 05:25 PM
Just an outside chance this might help you:

Did you know the DAW Plug-in Mode is not actually necessary? You can drag tracks to a DAW right from the main screen without using the DAW Plug-in Mode. The Plug-in Mode does help by keeping the BIAB window on top, and perhaps it helps you logically keep track of where one is in the process, but it is not needed. On the assumption that the Plug-in Mode takes over ASIO, try dragging tracks without using it. Sorry, I don't use ASIO so I can't try it, but it can't hurt to try the experiment.
Posted By: jim111 Re: DAW Plug-in Mode - 07/21/10 05:30 PM
Hi funkycornwall,
As you noted, asio is a one trick pony--you'll need to set BIAB to MME. (MME is actually WDM--the mnemonic hasn't been changed in BIAB). Drag and drop will work as intended after that. Hope this helps.

Later,
Jim
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: DAW Plug-in Mode - 07/21/10 05:52 PM
Adding to Jim's comment, there is no real reason for ASIO in BiaB, but in Reaper and other DAWs it helps due to the latency of live recording.
Posted By: Fifer Re: DAW Plug-in Mode - 07/21/10 08:19 PM
Not necessarily in other programmes either. In Sonar, WDM is often faster and more reliable than ASIO depending on your soundcard. Comes with the added bonus that you can have BAIB and Sonar co-existing happily without conflicts.

Brian
Posted By: silvertones Re: DAW Plug-in Mode - 07/21/10 08:31 PM
To add to what Matt said. That works better for me and I use this little program to keep BIAB on top.
I've used it for years call DeskPins. Just take a virtual push pin and stick it in the bar at the top of any program and it stays put.
DeskPins
Posted By: funkycornwall Re: DAW Plug-in Mode - 07/21/10 11:15 PM
Thanks for all your help folks - will try your recommendations
Posted By: Shockwave199 Re: DAW Plug-in Mode - 07/22/10 02:26 AM
You could also just render your biab tracks to wav files, saving them to an appropriate file when you do it. Close out of biab, open up reaper, import the files to tracks, and away you go. With rendering in biab [or RB], you don't technically need to drag and drop. It just adds a convenience factor, far as I can tell. But when you drag and drop, it still needs time to render those files anyway. So either or, same thing.

Dan
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: DAW Plug-in Mode - 07/22/10 02:42 AM
Dan is correct. That is how we used to do it, and of course it still works.
© PG Music Forums