PG Music Home
Posted By: Noel96 Problem: Is this a bug? - 08/07/10 11:12 AM
Dear all,

Today, I discovered a problem. It seems to be related to the Mandolin, Rhythm Bluegrass Doc EV 100. Here's what I do...
  • Load _Trav.sty
  • Type in 8 bars of chords and set the number of choruses to 1
  • On the String track, I change the Resonator Guitar (RT #377) to Mandolin, Rhythm Bluegrass Doc EV 100 (RT#599).
  • Right-click (in chord view) and select Song Settings
  • De-select Allow Embellishments of Chords
  • Generate the song

When I do the above, the ending does not work for the Mandolin. If, however, I have Allow Embellishment of Chords selected, the Mandolin ending works fine.

One other thing: I installed the July 28th Realtracks update (without realizing that I didn't need to because I had purchased 2010.5 - that will teach me to read the update notes!). I thought that this update installation might have something to do with the problem. As a consequence, I completely reinstalled BIAB/RB. The problem persisted. I have also tried restoring to the factory settings.

If anyone gets a chance to try this, I'd appreciate knowing if the problem is mine alone or something more general.

EDIT: Additional information
I have just discovered that if the 4-bar ending for Realtracks is unchecked, the mandolin will end properly. Summarizing my experiences so far...
  • 4-bar ending on and chord embellishment on, the mandolin (RT #599) ends properly.
  • 4-bar ending on and chord embellishment off, the mandolin does not end properly.
  • 4-bar ending off and chord embellishment on or off, the mandolin ends properly.

Regards,
Noel

P.S. I have BIAB 2010.5 (#304), quad processor computer, 4 GB RAM, Vista 32 bit (UAC off), 330 GB disk space.
Posted By: silvertones Re: Problem: Is this a bug? - 08/07/10 12:43 PM
Noel,
Plays the same for me either way.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Problem: Is this a bug? - 08/07/10 12:51 PM
Thanks, John. Interesting. So far the problem has been 100% consistent on my computer. I'll keep experimenting.

Thanks again.
Noel
Posted By: silvertones Re: Problem: Is this a bug? - 08/07/10 05:08 PM
Unless I'm misunderstanding you Noel. I'll keep working with you on this.
The chord embellishment "feature" was not intended to add embellishment but more to take it away so that the Jazzy RTs could be used on less jazzy tunes. With a mandolin and country style guitar there should be no change as I doubt these RTs were made using any jazzy chords.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Problem: Is this a bug? - 08/07/10 09:11 PM
Hi John,

I have just added some addition information to my original post. It seems that the 4-bar ending used for RTs also plays a part.

I appreciate that your looking into this. You have a whole heap more experience that I do. Thank you for the note about the purpose of chord embellishment. I hadn't thought about it along those lines.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: jim111 Re: Problem: Is this a bug? - 08/07/10 11:43 PM
Hi All,

I think RT#599 does need some attention.

When I duplicate the above, with a two bar ending and --use four bar ending for real tracks-- not selected:

If I have -- Allow Embellishments of Chords--checked, I get RT#599 ending at beat four of the last measure, and it ends by playing an ending pattern. It would sound great except everything else has ended at beat one of the last measure.

If I do not have -- Allow Embellishments of Chords--checked, I get RT#599 ending at beat one of the last measure (along with everything else), but it just stops playing it's normal pattern.

I'm running 304 on XP SP3.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Problem: Is this a bug? - 08/08/10 07:33 AM
Hi Jim,

Thank you for trying it out. That sounds very similar to what I get. As a consequence, I've sent a link to a link to his post to support@pgmusic.com so that they can investigate.

Regards,
Noel
© PG Music Forums