PG Music Home
Posted By: Chris Latham Safest way to upgrade my 2004 version - 08/23/10 07:27 PM
I've been using the 2004 version and would like to add more styles. I use BIAB in combination with Cakewalk and move the finished song to a WAV form for disc making. I use Windows XP. Does anyone have any sugestions for my best course of action?
Posted By: Ian Fraser Re: Safest way to upgrade my 2004 version - 08/23/10 07:45 PM
Hello Chris welcome.

Have you been to the BIAB upgrade page and reviewed your options. You'll have to upgrade with the Earlier than 2008 upgrade. Personally I upgraded with the UltraPlusPak - It gave me all of their styles, plus all of the RealDrums and RealTracks.
I'm just a user like youself but 2010.5 has so much more to offer that you might as well jump into the upgrade now - the expense will only increase as they add more and more Real Tracks.

Why not hop on their chat line and ask them some questions.

Not sure what you meant by "safe" - they're all safe upgrades . . . .and they all come on a USB drive.

Ian
Hi Ian,
Thanks for your info. I have been a bit nervous of 'Real' Drums etc. in case they are not all MIDI based. I also don't want any up-grades to corrupt what I already have. The 2004 version has worked fine for the last 6 years. Perhaps I'm too careful. I'll have a chat with them and see what they say. All the Best, Chris.
Posted By: redguitars Re: Safest way to upgrade my 2004 version - 08/24/10 01:56 PM
Is there a good upgrade with new styles, without the realtracks that would come on disks? I really don't care for the HD option.
I would like a MIDI only version. I use 2009.
Wayne,
Posted By: Mac Re: Safest way to upgrade my 2004 version - 08/24/10 02:19 PM
I don't think that there have been any all-MIDI styles released since the advent of RealTracks.

But we've been promised that MIDI development hasn't ceased, although I'd bet that if any new MIDI styles came out they'd likely be bundled with RealTracks in the upgrade sense. Perhaps they would be made available as a separate package but only time will tell.

Bob "Notes" Norton is still in development of MIDI only styles, perhaps you should peruse his webpage:

http://www.nortonmusic.com/

Notes is well known as the creator of some really great sounding aftermarket all-MIDI styles for use with Band in a Box.

--Mac
Hello Chris,

Quote:

Thanks for your info. I have been a bit nervous of 'Real' Drums etc. in case they are not all MIDI based. I also don't want any up-grades to corrupt what I already have. The 2004 version has worked fine for the last 6 years. Perhaps I'm too careful. I'll have a chat with them and see what they say. All the Best, Chris.

You can safely and easily keep a backup of your entire existing Band-in-a-Box 2004 program just the way it is. For example, assuming you have it installed in C:\bb. Make a copy of that folder, and renamed it bb2004. Now you'll have a C:\bb folder (which you can upgrade to 2010 if you want) and a C:\bb2004 folder (which you can leave untouched as a backup)
© PG Music Forums