PG Music Home
Posted By: jhg customize title generator - 09/18/10 12:14 AM
Has anyone had success reprogramming the title generator with new words? I followed the instructions in the titl1.txt file in the C:/bb folder but nothing changed from the pgmusic wordlist. I backed up the titl1.txt file and cut out about half of the words from this original. I made a titl2.txt file and added all my new adjectives and nouns like they were laid out in titl1.txt. I also made a titlshow.txt file like the instructions said to do. That causes a windows message to pop up. You have to click on "ok" before Band in a Box can open. This message says, "809 entries. 17 virtual files. 2 actual files(2)" I know the 2 actual files are my titl1.txt and titl2.txt because I tested this by disabling them and turning them back on. What are the 17 virtual files? Are these virtual files getting the wordlist from somewhere else? Maybe someone knows of a better title generator.

--- Jim
Posted By: Mac Re: customize title generator - 09/18/10 01:56 PM
Hi Jim,

Not entirely certain about this, but I would try CLOSING BB down completely after modifying that file, then let the PC settle down, always a good thing, and REopen BB. That may just cause it to load your edited file.

--Mac
Posted By: jhg Re: customize title generator - 09/18/10 03:51 PM
Mac:

Thanks for the reply. I tried re-booting, but still the same problem. Someone must be using some different title generator out there. Anyone?

--- Jim
Posted By: Noel96 Re: customize title generator - 09/19/10 02:53 AM
jhg,

if no-one answers, it might be worthwhile contacting PGMusic support.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Andrew - PG Music Re: customize title generator - 09/20/10 06:26 PM
Hello Jim,

The virtual files are just the total number of "groups" of nouns or adjectives. As mentioned, you do need to restart Band-in-a-Box after changing your list of adding new titl*.txt files. Because the original titl1.txt file only has 14 groups, it does look like your new titl2.txt file is working. To test it, you could temporarily rename titl1.txt to something else - then when you generate titles, you'll only see the words that you added in your new file.
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: customize title generator - 09/20/10 09:34 PM
You should edit titl1.txt, and use that one.
Posted By: jhg Re: customize title generator - 09/21/10 02:43 AM
Peter and Andrew.
Thanks for looking into this. I have re-named the old titl1.txt, titl2.txt, and titlshow.txt files so they are no longer used. I have my new titl1.txt file active which has only 48 entries in 2 groups. (adjectives and nouns) Still when I open Band in a Box, I get the old PGmusic words. Here is the latest message I sent to tech support: (I made the changes listed above after this note to tech support)

I renamed the titl1.txt file to titl1_txt_OLD to shut it off. Now there is only my new titl2.txt file and the titlshow.txt file in the C:/bb directory. When I start Band in a Box, I get this message:

"48 entries. 3 virtual files. 1 actual file(s)"

It is still only getting the old pgmusic names, but none of my new 48 words which it should be getting exclusively. I only have 2 word groups in my titl2.txt file but it says "3 virtual files". Where is the 3rd virtual file coming from? I have attached my titl2.txt file for you to look at.

--- Jim
Posted By: Mac Re: customize title generator - 09/21/10 11:19 AM
Peter said:

Quote:

You should edit titl1.txt, and use that one.

I might be getting this wrong, but it seems you are still using a file named "titl2"?

Why don't you try naming your file "titl1.txt" instead of titl2?

--Mac
Posted By: Andrew - PG Music Re: customize title generator - 09/21/10 04:40 PM
Hello Jim,

What you could do is go to Start | Search | All files and folders, and search for 'a word of phrase in the file'. Type in one of the 'PG Music' words you are seeing and find out what file it is in. I'm not sure what's going on there, but that might help figure it out.
Posted By: jhg Re: customize title generator - 09/21/10 07:20 PM
Andrew:

I tried that search as you suggested, but it did not turn up anything. Can you test my custom titl1.txt file that I just sent to technical support?

--- Jim
Posted By: Noel96 Re: customize title generator - 09/22/10 03:59 AM
Jim,

Another couple of thoughts...

1) It might be that when you renamed your titl2.txt to titl1.txt, the TXT extension might not have been included given that Windows hides extensions by default.

2) Is your new titl1.txt file in the c:\bb folder?

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: jhg Re: customize title generator - 09/22/10 02:37 PM
Noel:

In answer to your questions:

1) It might be that when you renamed your titl2.txt to titl1.txt, the TXT extension might not have been included given that Windows hides extensions by default.

No, I have extensions turned on in Windows and it is call titl1.txt

2) Is your new titl1.txt file in the c:\bb folder?

Yes, it is in the c:\bb folder. I'm waiting for PGMusic to test my titl1.txt file to find out what the problem is.

---- Jim
Posted By: Andrew - PG Music Re: customize title generator - 09/23/10 01:00 AM
Hello Jim,

Your file doesn't work for me at all. The problem is the [[[ at the end of the file with no text following it. Delete that, and it will be fixed.
Posted By: jhg Re: customize title generator - 09/23/10 02:49 AM
Andrew:

When you made that change to my file, did you only see my words in the title generator? Because I took out the [[[ at the end of the titl1.txt and I still have the same problem-- only PGMusic words and none of my words. What's strange is when I turn on the titlshow.txt file it says, "48 entries. 2 virtual files. 1 actual file(s)" --- so it is seeing only my file, but it still functions in default mode.

--- Jim
Posted By: Andrew - PG Music Re: customize title generator - 09/23/10 04:50 PM
Hi,

Yes, I only saw your words. It worked great.

Well... that's strange. I don't know why it is like that for you. It must be getting the words from somewhere. Open the bb folder and sort the files by 'type', so that you can see all the txt files together. You're sure there are no other titl*.txt files?

Maybe the file is cached somehow. If you haven't done so recently, I would try rebooting the computer. Also, you could try returning BB to factory settings (close the program and delete the intrface.bbw file from the bb folder) You could keep a copy of that file if you think you might want to restore your old settings later.
Posted By: jhg Re: customize title generator - 09/27/10 09:06 PM
Andrew:

I don't know why it took me so long to figure this out: my titl1.txt file works with the Title button (underlined red arrow) , but it does not work with the Title Generator button (yellow box with a "T" inside it). I was using the Title Generator all this time. Maybe people don't normally see that button unless they use the "add button" drop-down menu on the right side. The Title Generator is preferable because you can create 50 titles at a press of a button.

--- Jim
© PG Music Forums