PG Music Home
Posted By: musicpower Can you use BIAB with Pro-Tools? - 12/09/10 05:39 PM
Hi everyone,

This question has probably been answered on the forum but I couldn't find a post about it...
Anyone has used BIAB with ProTools? What's the trick?

Thanks!!!

Happy music creating
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Can you use BIAB with Pro-Tools? - 12/09/10 06:28 PM
If you are asking can you use the drag and drop, then drag to the desktop and open from there.
Posted By: Gary Curran Re: Can you use BIAB with Pro-Tools? - 12/09/10 06:44 PM
BIAB is not a 'Plug In' for Pro Tools. Like most other DAW software, you can drag and drop the files into audio or MIDI tracks on Pro Tools.

1. Make sure that you have a DXi synth installed and selected in Band In A Box. It has something to do with rendering, although you don't have to have the DXi output selected for it to work.

2. Open both ProTools and Band In A Box.

3. Create as many Audio and MIDI tracks in Pro Tools as you want to import from BIAB.

4. If you're using Real Drums and Real Tracks, click on the track name in BIAB, i.e., Drums, Pianos, Bass, Guitar, etc. (one at a time) and drag it over to the audio track in ProTools. It'll take a couple of minutes, but eventually a wave file will appear.
4a. Make sure that ProTools is set for44.1kHz and 16 bit, since that's what the files from BIAB are.
$b. Make sure the tempo is set the same in both programs.

5. Repeat as necessary for each audio track.

6. Repeat for each MIDI track.

Hope this helps.

Gary
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Can you use BIAB with Pro-Tools? - 12/09/10 08:06 PM
This is a very helpful list from Gary.

One shortcut to Step #4 is that you may be able to drag all the RealTracks at once by dragging Combo. Be aware this takes a minute or two to work. At first, it may appear that nothing is happening, but as each RealTrack is being prepared, you will see the instruments change color to green one by one.

Note, this works with what I have, SONAR. I am aware that some DAW software might not support this method. Can any ProTools users please verify that you may drag and drop Combo?
Posted By: musicpower Re: Can you use BIAB with Pro-Tools? - 12/09/10 09:03 PM
Thanks everyone!
I thought it might need too export the file and then re-import it into pro-tools but if you can drag and drop that is much easier!!!!
Awesome!!!
Posted By: Gary Curran Re: Can you use BIAB with Pro-Tools? - 12/10/10 03:40 AM
Matt,
I dragged and dropped the Combo, and I got one wave file with everything in that file. That certainly isn't going to work for me.

However, it is very nice for 'quick and dirty' transfers.

Gary
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Can you use BIAB with Pro-Tools? - 12/10/10 03:49 AM
Take a look a the options in Plugin Mode. You can specify separate tracks.
Posted By: Gary Curran Re: Can you use BIAB with Pro-Tools? - 12/10/10 06:17 AM
Thanks Bud! 'ppreciate it.

Gary
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Can you use BIAB with Pro-Tools? - 12/10/10 06:46 AM
Yeah, I was pretty impressed when I discovered this shortcut. Saves a lot of time.
Posted By: jt3 Re: Can you use BIAB with Pro-Tools? - 12/10/10 02:58 PM
Hi there I have been working with pro tools and biab from the begining. I just get the biab song the way I want reaktracks and all. Then I rendered to seperate tracks, which are wave files I guess? Then go the protools and go to import tracks. You can lisen to them before adding them. When you have what you want prees done and it generates tracks for each. If you decide later you want anouther reaktrack go back to biab and use generate it and then import it. You will have to name the tracks wants you get them in protools. I have found stuff that was turned low in biab that i brought up. Sometimes I use the realtracks along with a lead I play more like what the big boys do have fun

John
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: Can you use BIAB with Pro-Tools? - 12/10/10 07:45 PM
You don't need to drag to the Desktop.

You can drag files from the Various radio buttons at the top of the screen (like Combo, Bass, etc.) to the "Drop Station". This is the green rectangle at the top left of the screen. It will light up bright green when the files are ready. Then you can just drag/drop them to ProTools.

That "Drop Station" method (BB Radio Button Parts <drag to> Drop Station <drag to> DAW ) works with all DAW's (at least any DAW that supports drag n drop from Explorer). Some DAW's allow you to skip that step, and you can just drag directly from the BB Radio buttons to your DAW.

Of course if you prefer to use a Windows Explorer window instead of the Drop Station, you can - your choice.
Posted By: Gary Curran Re: Can you use BIAB with Pro-Tools? - 12/11/10 02:29 AM
I had BIAB on one computer, and Pro Tools 9 on another, and transferred the files via a USB Drive. I would use the Import Audio dialog in PT9, and select all the files, and then it would import them.

But, I've also recalled the reason I hate Pro Tools. Even being able to use non-Avid hardware still does not make the fact that Pro Tools is a POS, in my opinion, and is a hassle to work with. I'll stick with Real Band, thank you very much, or Sonar.

Gary
© PG Music Forums