PG Music Home
Posted By: Bob Roetker Dbl click doesn't load or play BIAB file - 12/19/10 09:47 PM
Double clicking on a file with the BIAB icon doesn't load or play the file, it merely opens Band in a Box. Typical Windows behavior would be to execute the file in the program associated with it.

I re-ran the file utility to associate files, and it now loads the file I double click momentarily, then immediately reverts to the last file loaded.
I reported this to support, last year. No change in Win 7 from Vista. Not sure about Xp. It did used to work.
Posted By: GHinCH Re: Dbl click doesn't load or play BIAB file - 12/19/10 10:27 PM
Quote:

Double clicking on a file with the BIAB icon doesn't load or play the file, it merely opens Band in a Box. Typical Windows behavior would be to execute the file in the program associated with it.

It does it on my end; I'm using a 32bit Windows 7 Professional. Double click opens BIAB and the selected song starts to play.

Guido
Posted By: raymb1 Re: Dbl click doesn't load or play BIAB file - 12/20/10 12:33 AM
Quote:

Quote:

It does it on my end; I'm using a 32bit Windows 7 Professional. Double click opens BIAB and the selected song starts to play.

Guido

Hi Bob. Same for me as Guido. I have Win 7 64 bit. Later, Ray
Posted By: allis Re: Dbl click doesn't load or play BIAB file - 12/20/10 02:01 AM
Bob, I finally got directions from PG Support about that.

On the first page of Options-Preferences, there's a drop-down box specifying what to do "At program start". To get the behavior you expect, set it to "Don't open song or style".

If it's set to "Open previous song", the tune indeed opens with the program, which then gets immediately reversed by its own setting and re-loads the previous song again. Once the program is open, you can double-click the song name again, to load it properly. So I left it as it was in the end; opening nothing is usually less convenient than occasional extra clicking.

I seem to remember it acted better before BiaB 2010. This makes life worse when using a 3rd-party database like the BBFinder library program.

Just as a side note - as discussed in a different thread - since I also have an older version of BiaB as well as 2011 on hard drive, double-clicking a SGU file confuses the computer and BiaB and the song doesn't open correctly ... missing Styles, missing instruments, etc.

So, since BiaB has to be open to play the song anyway, I just open the app first and then select the song.

PS: I do the same thing with Word docs.
Posted By: rharv Re: Dbl click doesn't load or play BIAB file - 12/23/10 07:36 PM
If I dbl click a doc file in W7 I get two instances of Word open, one empty and one with the doc .. so I guess it's better to just have BiaB open (and then load the file manually) if it is going to cause problems on some machines. Could you imagine the grief if two instances of BiaB tried to open?

I get BiaB open, but empty when I try it. Funny the variations, and we wonder why they can't fix it. Works for a couple guys in Win7 64, but not for me. I tried the various options.
Posted By: Lloyd S Re: Dbl click doesn't load or play BIAB file - 12/23/10 07:54 PM
You can see what worked for me in the other thread.
In my case, I knew it wasn't the PC because MSWord work fine.

Thanks!
LLOYD S
Posted By: WillM Re: Dbl click doesn't load or play BIAB file - 12/24/10 08:52 PM
I have previously resolved this issue for several people by following these steps:

• Right click Band in a Box shortcut > Properties > Advanced
  • Check Run as administrator
  • Open Band in a Box from this shortcut
  • File > File Utilities > Associate File Types...
  • Close Band in a Box
  • Double click a song from explorer

Let me know if that works for any of you!
-Will
Quote:

I have previously resolved this issue for several people by following these steps:

• Close Band in a Box

-Will

This fixed it for me.
Brian
Quote:

• Close Band in a Box

-Will

hey! It didn't work before doing this, but now it works! This has been something I couldn't figure out for quite a while! Thanks a million!
© PG Music Forums