PG Music Home
I have a melody part that was imported along with the original MIDI file which formed the basis of the chord list. This melody plays fine at the appropriate spot. Trouble is, I'm making tempo changes to the band parts which =sometimes= also transfer to the melody part, but after a few further edits and changes the melody ends up playing at its original tempo regardless of what the band is doing. I can't figure out what I did when it does work right, and why it doesn't always work right!

FYI I'm using only RealTracks within BIAB. BTW at this point I'm willing to enter all the tempo changes manually into the melody -- but I can't figure out how to do that either.

Thanks.
Quote:

I have a melody part that was imported along with the original MIDI file which formed the basis of the chord list. This melody plays fine at the appropriate spot. Trouble is, I'm making tempo changes to the band parts which =sometimes= also transfer to the melody part, but after a few further edits and changes the melody ends up playing at its original tempo regardless of what the band is doing. I can't figure out what I did when it does work right, and why it doesn't always work right!

FYI I'm using only RealTracks within BIAB. BTW at this point I'm willing to enter all the tempo changes manually into the melody -- but I can't figure out how to do that either.

Thanks.

You can change the tempo at any bar using the F5 key and selecting a new tempo there as well as other options.
Brian
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks.

You can change the tempo at any bar using the F5 key and selecting a new tempo there as well as other options.
Brian

Yes of course, but the problem remains: The BAND tempo changes but the MELODY tempo doesn't, or changes with a mind of its own. I've tried working around the problem via the Edit Melody -> Humanize menu. I entered the "old tempo" at which the melody was imported and the "new tempo" that is required at the point where the melody first comes in. The trouble returns at a later measure where a new slower tempo is required.
But everytime I regenerate the song tempo surprises await me.
Hello McSam,

If you open the original MIDI file into RealBand, does it play at a constant tempo throughout and line up with the bars? In other words, was the MIDI file recorded in free time, or entered manually / recorded to a click track?
Quote:

Hello McSam,

If you open the original MIDI file into RealBand, does it play at a constant tempo throughout and line up with the bars? In other words, was the MIDI file recorded in free time, or entered manually / recorded to a click track?

The original file was generated by a notation program & exported as a MIDI file. This file has a few tempo changes and consists of 1 piano track and 1 melody track. The latter is mostly silence except for two choruses, 1 in the middle of the song and 1 at the end. The original MIDI file (but not the MGU file) plays back beautifully in precise tempo in RealBand.

In BIAB there is no piano track -- as I used the file to import chords, rather than "open" it -- only the melody track which came along intact. But it's misbehavin' and not playing nice with the generated band!
(BTW I emailed Tech Support the MGU file).

Thanks.
I'm about to tear my hair out on this. I killed the entire existing melody track. I created a clean new midi file with no tempo indications in it whatsoever. I then imported this file into the BIAB melody track. It played very poorly, tempo-wise. I quantized the entire melody track to 100% at 32nd note accuracy. The tempo improved. I froze the entire arrangement -- all parts -- I hit PLAY, and I'm back to square one. The tempo sucks big-time.
Hi McSam,

What's the time signature of (a) the MIDI file you created and (b) the style you've chosen in BIAB? Also, have your tried inputting the melody directly into BIAB?

Regards,
Noel
PROBLEM SOLVED -- ALMOST. PROGRAM BUG DISCOVERED!
Here's the story: My tempo changes were created in the BB F5 dialog as =percentages= rather than absolute numbers. The BB tracks interpreted those fine but the melody track was totally random. Sometimes it figured it out, sometimes not. Once I went back and re-entered the absolute tempo numbers everything worked fine...

BUT... When I import this corrected file into RealBand and generate the parts the tempos are whacked out again, in strange new ways. Examples: all the band tracks stop dead 10 bars from the end while the melody track makes it to the end; the bar counter on top of the screen is out of sync with the tune; and if I enable the RealBand Drums, all hell breaks loose!

Geez.
Hi McSam,

Rather than "importing" the file into Realband, have you tried simply opening the BIAB file in RB? (RB is 100% compatible with BIAB files.)

Regards,
Noel
© PG Music Forums