PG Music Home
Hi All,
I just purchased my first .mid file from Midi-Hits. I read that it would be editable but when I open the file in Biab it comes in only on the Melody track. Nothing on the Drum, Guitar, Piano, strings etc...If I open it in RB it shows tracks but says "BB track not found" When I try to view an individual intrument/track by clicking the little boxes in the area above the tracks window..

It is obvious I have either misread or misunderstood how to use a purchased or imported backing track...it is .mid not an mp3. It only lets me save it in Biab as an mgx file...

I am pretty new at Biab and would appreciate help with this...hope I have included some meaningful info about my problem.
I am running Everything Pak, hard drive version, 2011 build 313 with program running on C:drive and all else on the program hard drive.

Thanks!
Ken
That's how songs work in Band in a box.

The program is intended to take a chord sequence and maybe a melody, and build a song around it.

Although you can import midi, or interpret midi, it's not a midi player.

If you want to use midi and mess about with it RealBand is the way to go.

I think you are a tad off track.

What song?

What do you want to do with it? IE. Harmonica solo at Carnegie Hall (Been done already)
or play the violin along with Home Home on the Stove?
or Accordion to Too Fat Polka?
The bride and I just did Bach's Air on a G string in harmonies along with Band in a Box, I played a Tenorhorn and she a Baritone. Veddy Lubly.

If you have a really good midi file and a very good synth that plays GM then you probably don't need Band in a Box for that song, you already have backing tracks eh?

(Dang, now he knows I'm a Can-knucklehead. Jaquesbut.
John,
I am sure that I am a tad off track...Ha!

I am doing an accompaniment for a ladies club that is doing a parody of Beyonce's "Single Ladies" and I need to change form slightly and perhaps the key (older ladies). Creating the style is beyond me at this point so I bought the midi file to edit. I just didn't expect it to not be editable in Biab. I am even less familiar with RB...but I can see the tracks...gonna have to dive in to get it done. Unfortunately I am on a deadline...sometimes that is the fastest way to learn...

The Parody is called "All the Wrinkled Ladies"....Anita Renfroe did it and it is on YouTube. Hilarious!

If you have any advice for a newbie ... I would love to hear it

Thanks for the reply
Ken (Texas)
Ken, I have never had to do this, but I recall similar questions being asked here and the solution was to use the green SEQ button to separate a purchased MIDI file into separate channels. I don't know the details but I'm sure someone who has done it will weigh in.
RealBand (RB) is designed for working with generic midi files. No need to open a .mid file in BB, then save as .mgx file and then opening this .mgx file via RB with a distracting message "BB track not found". Instead, open your .mid file directly in RB and you're ready to edit this file to your liking.

Note, BB is equipped with a green SEQ button, which opens a fudged sequencer. While it is possible to edit midi files via BB, such an exercise requires some getting used to hours - after all, the BB sequencer is more of a fudged type rather than straight ahead. Facing a deadline, you're better off going with RB instead here.

Have fun
Matt is right on track. I do this all the time. However I am using the midi file as is and merely muting the tracks (instruments)that I am going to play. (Keyboard and left hand bass) Open the midi file in BB. Do not use import midi file. Then click on the green SeQ icon and choose seq on Melody tracks. Mute the tracks you don't want. In the seq make sure you have Custom channels/tracks play selected. You can use BB to change the key as well.
Thanks for all your replies...good information. I am making some progress and am beginning to see the way BB and RB are meant to be used. I have taken apart the backing track which is kind of convoluted form-wise with lots of little tangent sections and put it back together in a simple verse/chorus, verse/chorus, bridge, chorus/end tag, as the ladies want it. Now I am having to learn how to smooth the transitions in this cut and paste version. As of now...it isn't awful but it is giving me a crash course on how to use RB! I am very appreciative of everyone's help...please continue with any advice you may have...I have yet to attain "expert" status...Ha!

Ken
© PG Music Forums