PG Music Home
Posted By: John Conley Transpose not working? - 01/25/11 04:12 PM
Can anyone with current build 2011 duplicate this?

I have G horns (2), haven't used them with Band in a Box for 18 months or so.

Opts. --> Prefs.----->Transpose to -5 semitones for the G horn.

Doesn't stick. Nothing makes it work.

Is this just me?

Anyone with 2010 can confirm it works there?
Posted By: WillM Re: Transpose not working? - 01/25/11 05:04 PM
Hi John,

I've tested that dialog and while the 'do it now' button works, the 'update' button does not. Thanks for bringing that to our attention.

For transposing instruments you may want to instead use Opt > Prefs > Notation > Transpose and set that to -5. That'll transpose the chordsheet and notation but you'll still hear it in concert.

Thanks,
Will
Posted By: John Conley Re: Transpose not working? - 01/25/11 05:25 PM
Maybe there are too many transpose options? It's easy to get befuddled. I'd like to see it all on one place.

Maybe expand the on screen pull down menu, it's confusing to new users. Or in the practice window?

Just my 2p worth.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Transpose not working? - 01/25/11 05:30 PM
Good catch, John.

I never use that Transpose dialog for my non-concert pitch horns; I use what Will mentioned so the sound is still in concert pitch. Otherwise, it can be a mind bender when I return to a song after some time and do not recall what the 'original' key was supposed to be. This is a real concern for me since I play many instruments in many keys, so I can easily lose track of where a song started out.

If I just want to transpose the whole song, I use the pulldown key on the chordsheet.
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: Transpose not working? - 01/25/11 06:35 PM
If you want to display information in a non-concert key, the item is Prefs-Display-Transpose.

The separate Transpose dialog is to transpose the thru part on your connected MIDI keyboard, or transpose songs when loaded to a different key, which is not related to non-concert instruments). The 'transpose by' on that dialog causes a thru part played on your keyboard to be transposed to a different key - see the fly-by hint for more details on that.

As mentioned, you can also do this from the notation window (options-transpose), and also from the Practice window.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Transpose not working? - 01/25/11 06:48 PM
Thanks, Peter.

Judging from the number of posts by folks who scramble this business of transposition, and from the fact that neither John nor I knew the true purpose of the Transpose dialog, I'm wondering if the Transpose dialog is named as well as it might be. I don't have a good suggestion, though, since it meets two disparate needs.

Maybe two buttons? One says MIDI Through and the other says Song Import?
Posted By: MartinB Re: Transpose not working? - 01/25/11 07:28 PM
Yup, I was about to post a confirmation message ... but then got hold of this through thingy. I figured that this particular button may have s.th. to do with hooked up midi instruments and held back any post. Since I currently don't have a midi instrument hooked up to my PC I tried checking via the Keyboard wizard ... with zero result.

I am very much with Matt here - I found the description and the wording in the dialog itself as well as in the Help file / manual not exactly self explanatory. The description might emphasize a bit more the playalong purpose of this dialog and contrast a bit stronger its purpose to the more standard use case of transpositions.
Posted By: John Conley Re: Transpose not working? - 01/26/11 03:42 AM
I just always did it one way and then bingo it didn't work. I printed the part in one key, then played it in another.

But looking out for newbies that's not the solution. I was just giving a heads up.
© PG Music Forums